Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: since were talking pressure cookers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    how long cooking did it take to make the beans soft? Did you have to add extra liquid to offset what the dry beans absorbed?
    If I pre soak the beans overnight, about 30 minutes. From dry about 45 minutes. 2 cups beans and 4 cups water. After the cook time I let the pot set till the pressure drops by itself. I live at 6700' elevation. Cooking dry beans without a pressure cooker at this elevation they would have to simmer all day (or more) to get them soft.

Banned
    I have an electric one and love it, easy to control and not too big.
    It usually gets called on to do cow tongue.

Boolit Master

I've owned a few pressure cookers. Living with my parents in my youth, they were used all the time. Beans, stews, roasts, hogs head cheeses, all sorts of stuff. I've used them for canning, cooking, the usual stuff. I ran across an unusual one at a church garage sale and had to have it. A microwave pressure cooker--$2.00. Called the company up after an internet search and got replacement parts and a pamphlet with recipes. Not very large capacity, about a quart or 2. Its handy. I've cooked rabbit and ribs in it as well as chicken. Nordic Ware has since bought the company.

Attachment 207430
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Moderator Emeritus

Now that blowing up would be scary! Microwave explodes too! LOL!

Boolit Master

Again, as a young un, I witnessed 3 safety plug failures on 4 and 12 quart cookers. When you are watching TV and suddenly it sounds like all the demons from Hades just landed in your kitchen, it leaves an impression on you and certain items of clothing you are wearing.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Moderator Emeritus

I really like the Fagor "Pressure Quick release" Pressure cooker, made in Spain...they are about $100 for a 8 qt pot as shown, Stainless Steel with thick clad bottom, approved for induction heating.

Attachment 207467

My most frequent recipe I use in the pressure cooker is a Thick Bean soup, from Dry Beans.

First I do the quick soak:
    1 cup dry beans (I prefer Pintos)
    4 cups water
    bring to boil, put cover on pressure cooker, bring up to pressure.
    hold pressure for 2 minutes.
    release pressure, drain and rinse beans.
    then I run the beans through a small food processor to break the skins off.
    Then return the beans to the pressure cooker, add 1 pint of tomato juice and 1 pint of soup stock,
    optional additions: sliced mushrooms, onion, garlic, butter, left over meat, I like to put a leftover pork chop in.
    put the cover on, bring up to pressure,
    hold pressure for 16 minutes
    then cut the heat, and let the pressure fall slowly, it usually takes 15 minutes.
    DONE, now it's lunchtime.

that's Bean soup ready to eat, from Dry beans, in about 40 minutes.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 11-10-2017 at 02:56 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    We have a Spaghetti Sauce going in ours as I write this while yesterday it was a beef stew. Our electric "Insta-Pot" is used almost every day for cooking something and it's all we use now for dried beans such as Pintos.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12