Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need something welded on a stainless steel watch case.

Boolit Master
    No the back case is not Gold or gold plated, its bare stainless steel , which I thought was a bit ill suited to an engraved presentation watch. The bezel and lugs were gold filled and the broken lug appears to have been cast around a slender rod that was welded to the case. The only mark on the case at that point is a small round rough patch where the lug snapped off.

In looking the model up I found most did have a gold or gold plated back case.

A watch repairman I contacted who specializes in high end Omega and Rolex watches checked with Omega and was told the back case was no longer available.

Boolit Bub
    I would look on Ebay, might find that part, and with luck, it might fit your engraved back. Ebay is not one of my favorite places to shop, but obsolete old parts, is one good reason to check there. Good luck with it, Terry

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by second chance View Post
    I would look on Ebay, might find that part, and with luck, it might fit your engraved back. Ebay is not one of my favorite places to shop, but obsolete old parts, is one good reason to check there. Good luck with it, Terry
    I've been looking through Ebay for a relic Omega with a case like this but the only one I found had two lugs broken off on the same side. At least I can feel a bit better knowing I'm not alone in this sort of misfortune.
    I've got my eye on another similar Omega deville but the case is not quite the same, it has a separate back cover rather than the fully enclosed back case.

Found a near cherry example priced at 1200+ USD. Beat up but good working examples run in the 400-600 USD range.

I'm considering making a broad leather band that encloses the case except for the face.

Boolit Bub
    Any chance you could post a photo of this watch? Do you remember when "nugget" jewelry was in fashion? Back in the 80's, Gold watch bracelets were made that used a cheap Seiko watch held underneath with "tabs" folded over the watch case lugs. Even hollowed out as thin as possible, they weighed 25-30 grams in Gold. Maybe you could do a similar thing around just your case, and use a standard strap or band.

Boolit Master
    May have found a replacement case after all. Not the same reference number but looks to be dimensionally correct. Wish me luck.

Apparently its pretty common for older Omegas to have been restored with non standard replacement parts from closely related models. Value will likely be affected but I don't plan to sell this watch ever. I may have them bury me with it on my wrist.

I'll try to post images later on. Still haven't reloaded the PC software that my camera needs to download files.

If the replacement case works out I'll still try to find a way of fixing the old engraved case if possible.

PS found a relic Walt Disney Productions U S Time watch that I can use to replace the broken crystal of my 1950's Zorro watch. That broken crystal has bugged me for nearly 60 years.
    Since I never wore the watch after it was damaged the movement is still like new. Keeps pretty good time as is but I'm experimenting with regulating it for optimum accuracy. No special tools needed, the governor is made to be nudged with a thumb nail.

IIRC My sister's old Cinderella watch is still here somewhere. I'll try to find it and restore it for her. These kids watches seem to be based on a small women's watch so she could still wear it with an adult size band if she liked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12