Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Ramshot Exterminator powder under a LEE 340 in 45/70

Ramshot Exterminator powder under a LEE 340 in 45/70

Is anyone using Ramshot Exterminator in the 45/70? I've got a pound of it and am having issues with it gumming up the action on my Marlin 1895GG. I'm guessing that I might need to crimp a little tighter as it appears to be un-burnt powder mixed with the oil. I've been using H4895 with no issues but got this powder from a buddy and like it (it is very accurate, easy on my shoulder and meters like a dream from my powder measure), but if I've got to fight it to open the bolt and clean the action after every shot, it's not for me in that rifle. It's supposed to be good in the .223 so I'll try it there but I'd like it to work in a couple of different calibers. Any ideas or advice?
    Last edited by RKJ; 10-31-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you tried lighting it off with a Mag primer?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

You shouldn't have to use a mag primer in the 45-70. Just sounds like the wrong powder for it, but there is another solution and that's a booster charge of like 1-2 grains of a fast shotgun/pistol powder. You would have to start low and work up. Many don't like doing that too and it may require filler so the two don't mix being there may be a lot of empty space left in the cartridge.

Banned

Another thing popped into my mind, a heavier bullet will make that powder burn better.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Have you tried lighting it off with a Mag primer?
    I think this is the approach I would take but if I was using a published maximum load(which I doubt you are with the unburned powder)I would reduce 10% and work up with the magnum primer until I burned clean or saw pressure signs. I have found that many ball powders prefer magnum primers for consistant ignition. I don't think Accurate/Ramshot would publish all the 45/70 data they have listed if Xterminater wasn't appropriate and safe. They use it in 28k and 40k loads cast and jacketed but not the 15k loads, being a ball powder it can't burn efficiently at lower pressure, too much soot and unburned powder. You didn't say what your load was, velocity if you chronoed it?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Their cast data starts at 300 gr and ends at 500 gr lead I believe
    Charter Member #148

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Their cast data starts at 300 gr and ends at 500 gr lead I believe
    All their load data in the 45-70 was using Winchester large rifle primers. Now when they go the 458 Win Mag they used a Federal 215 magnum primer.

I tried it again with 40.0 grains under that Lee 340 (Powder coated with Smokes powder BTW) and a much heavier crimp. That cured it. after I posted I kept thinking it over (why this didn't occur to me earlier I don't know) and it popped into my head that while I had a crimp that wouldn't let the bullet move, it wasn't real tight. That worked,DOH. I am using Winchester Large Primers. Thanks everyone.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad you got it to clean up! I would check my accuracy after changing to a "much heavier crimp", just a thought. Yes that WLR primer is a good one, I think the highest brisance of all the standard LR primers, next step up is Rem 9.5 magnum which is the "weakest" of all the mag primers.
    Charter Member #148