MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Olde Eynsford 1.5 vs 2f

Oklahoma and Idaho - and not depending on the weather.

Olde Eynsford 1.5 vs 2f

Need some input. Been loading OE 1&1/2 in my 38-50 but had a good load of 2f for my 40-65 and about to pick up a 45-70 I’ll need to load for. I’d thought to start there with 2f.

I’m about to pull out of Sandpoint headed back to Oklahoma and was gonna pick up next year’s supply of 2f only to find they only have 1.5 and 3f.

So... my question is about your experience with 1.5f in the two larger calibers. If the consensus is a toss-up I’ll get some 1&1/2 and do the homework all over.

Let me hear what’s working best for you with Olde Eynsford if you would.

Thanks!
    Best Regards,
    John

Boolit Grand Master

I have used all 3 to good results in 40-65, 45-70, and 45-90. I prefer 1 1/2F in the bigger cartridges. I don't have a 38-50 but my 38-55 does good with 2F.

Thanks for the input Wayne. Seemed like most I’d read while getting acquainted with two 40s leaned toward 2f. Maybe that’s what I wanted to see.

I hadn’t been watching the 45/OE threads at all since I was not loading for one. I know I was operating on ‘assumption’ there!
    Best Regards,
    John

Boolit Grand Master

I'm loading for 2 45-70s right now with BP a pedersoli long range Sharps ( the cabellas run) with 34 " half round 1-18 twist barrel. It is actually over weight for shilouettes but its incredibly accurate with most loads. The other is a new to me Sharps Brochart with 32" 1-18 twist barrel. I haven't started working with this one yet as other things have taken my time and energy. I have 60 rounds to test in it all are the same basic load 62 grns 1 1/2f OE napa rubber fiber wad 2 tracing paper wads compressed to where bullets can be hand seated. There are 3 different bullets ( 20 rds each) Lyman 4571125 510 grn round nose, 535 grn lymnan postell, and 550 grn old west shillouette bullet. I'm looking forward to testing this new rifle.
    Work up to what you need velocity and accuracy wise.

Well thanks again. Internet research is not nearly so fun when limited to an iPhone and poor reception - it’s what I got at the cabin though. I’ll be back in Oklahoma in a week but will have pass BACo by by then. Got to decide if I’m gonna put all my eggs in one basket for three calibers or settle for on-line.

If things pan out I have a lock on a Cody in 45-70 with a 32” barrel. So far i’ve only loaded a handful (literally) for an original Ballard in that caliber
    Best Regards,
    John

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    As much as it would be nice to be able to use just one powder for everything, it doesn't always work out that way.
    What I've found is our 40-65's work best with the OE 2f, the 45-70 works well with either, but for the most part 2 f seems to have the edge, the 45-90 1 1/2 f hands down the winner. Order a split case and maybe even have them throw in a can or two of 3 and 1f.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Thanks Don. Where do you order your powder from?
    Best Regards,
    John

Just called BACo for a price... looks comparable to Powderinc. I think I have enough 2f for development. Would have rather picked it up in person but guess I’ll learn to live with the hazmat fee.
    Best Regards,
    John

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtDog0311 View Post
    Thanks Don. Where do you order your powder from?
    I get it mostly from Powder Inc. The other place I get a lot of powder from is Bear River Powder in Evanston,Wy. So it would be a possibility you could call Craig and pick the powder up from him, altho the sales tax kicks in in the over the counter deals.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

John you could stop by Bear River Powder in Evanston, WY on your way down.
    If you need a Ph number I can PM one for you.
    Kurt

You beat me to it Don

Well Don, Kurt, thank you both. Got a couple stops as I make my way South that rule out Evanston. I picked up 10lbs of 1.5f at BACo this afternoon. I’ll order the 2f once I’m in Oklahoma. If that durn Steve Anderson was a true friend he’d just give me what he’s got when I go through Cheyenne Appreciate the help fellahs. Wish me luck figuring out this 45-70 once I have holt of it.

Speaking of which, Steve and I were talking today and I asked if there was not some sort of rule-of-thumb for caliber size and it occurred to me that even if there were, that rule-of-thumb might be impacted considerably by bullet weight. I mention that because the Cody is a good deal lighter than say a Sharps. That being the case I could see myself experimenting in the 400-500gr range rather than with the 525gr and up. It dawns in me that could be a factor I hadn’t thought of when considering granulation.

If you got any thoughts there I’m all ears - recognizing of course I still have my own path to discovery with any particular rifle.
    Best Regards,
    John

Boolit Mold
    John, I could give you my powder. But I ain't gonna! I'd loan you some though.

duplicate post
    Last edited by SgtDog0311; 11-02-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    Best Regards,
    John

Sorry, double post - love my iPhone and reception. Stevewhr not so much.
    Best Regards,
    John