Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets party like it's 1517.

Boolit Master

Lets party like it's 1517.

Today is Reformation Day, It has been 500 ,years to the day, since the day that Martin Luther posted the 95 arguments (95 Theses ) on the church door at Whittenberg Germany. Where does the time go? Luther had struggled with thoughts of how to be good enough to get into heaven for much of his young life to the point of becoming a monk and really abusing himself to prove repentance. It brought him no comfort, as he was never convinced that he had done enough. He was miserable. One of his superiors assigned him the task of studying the bible so he could teach it and he eventually concluded that much of what the Church taught was in error. Pergatory, and the selling of indulgences and the praying to the saints were all things that the Church condoned and used to reap money from the believers. That money went to fund the cathedrals and posh lifestyles of the high clergy . Luther posted arguments against the practices and hoped to get a debate going and hopefully reform the church from the top down. What he got was a death sentence from the pope that could be carried out by anyone who happened to see Luther at any time. Also People were inflamed at the thought of their church leaders misinforming them and taking advantage of them and went on a rampage, destroying churches, defacing artwork, toppling statues, ect. Luther was not part of the violence, he wanted only to correct the church from what it had become but it would not be corrected so there was revolution. That was the start of the reformation.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

God's Spirit working through one man can still point the way to the Kingdom through Jesus Christ alone. The way of the cross still leads home. Thank you for the post.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I would much rather party like its 1099,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Would we be talking about the 1st Crusade and the defeat of Muslims at a variety of places in the middle east, including Jerusalem?
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Reformation Day is a public holiday in five states in Germany on October 31 each year to remember the religious Reformation in Europe. It commemorates when German monk and theologian Martin Luther's proposals were nailed on the doors of a church in 1517.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Reformation Day is a public holiday in five states in Germany on October 31 each year to remember the religious Reformation in Europe. It commemorates when German monk and theologian Martin Luther's proposals were nailed on the doors of a church in 1517.
    Yes but in 1099 the Christian forces in the 1st Crusade took Jerusalem; I believe that is what Hamish may be referring to.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Yes but in 1099 the Christian forces in the 1st Crusade took Jerusalem; I believe that is what Hamish may be referring to.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

As a boy I was raised Lutheran. I never could understand, 'till now, why my Grandmother had such disdain for Catholics.
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Master

The big thing Luther accomplished in his life was to expose the common people to the Truth of the gospel. He did this in his writings and in translating the bible, New Testament first, into common German so that folks could read for themselves what Jesus himself had taught. This bypassed the power structure of the church which had become a political entity with interests in gaining wealth and power over people and using the threat of Damnation to get its way. Coincidental with Luther coming on the scene Gutenberg had come up with a printing press that could quickly and cheaply reproduce books and Luther enthusiastically embraced the new technology to get his ideas out to the public. So in one fell swoop he was able to put the Word into understandable common language and distribute it to thousands of people. Understandably, The church headed by the pope was thoroughly upset by this and lashed out in any way that it could.

Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

Kelly, you got Luther very simplified. I just read the newest bio, -well worth reading. The printing press, yes, but others took Luther's writing and published them, at least initially. Luther was a theologian, he had Greek and Hebrew as well as German and Latin - in fact he coined many German words and phrases and is also partially credited with inventing the modern German language. He taught in the Seminary in Wurttengbug when he wrote the theses and posted them on the public message board - the Church door. As you stated, for discussion. He was upset when he discovered they had been published.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I was shooting for the nutshell version. Yes he was a doctor of theology and a very able debater. God used him very effectively. Yes he was looking for a discussion, not a revolution. I appreciate your comments , everyone! There is even a new production Movie available from Northwestern Publishing House which is reportedly very good , and Rick Steves did a very good travelogue type production about Luther and his times. Very good. We own the 1955 black and white version and watch it once in a while, It is very effective and pretty accurate.

I LIKE IKE

We Catholics aren't perfect, and the Church has been in error in some matters previously listed for some time. But we need prayer, not disdain. We need to read and study the Word so we can understand these errors. We need to discuss our disagreements with Protestants, but we also to stand united in the Spirit when we have foundational common ground. Prayer, love, understanding, unity, not disdain. We aren't the only Christians in error.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    We Catholics aren't perfect, and the Church has been in error in some matters previously listed for some time. But we need prayer, not disdain. We need to read and study the Word so we can understand these errors. We need to discuss our disagreements with Protestants, but we also to stand united in the Spirit when we have foundational common ground. Prayer, love, understanding, unity, not disdain. We aren't the only Christians in error.
    The problem is not one of which sect we belong to. It is the leaders we must guard against. For they are men....not necessarily any better than we are. Beware of extremists of any faith.
    Don Verna

Was Martin Luther's 95 Theses the first reformation?

Banned
    The part of this history that I find most interesting is that Luther never set out to split the church. The Protestant/Catholic spilt occurred, largely as a result of Luther but it was never his goal.

After he was condemned to death, he went on to finish his life under the relative security of those around him. The Church (Pope) knew the location of Luther but didn't wish to expand the war by killing him. It was a détente that was convenient to both sides.

The events that followed shaped Europe, the New World and continues to shape history to this day.

It was a key event in history.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quail4jake View Post
    Was Martin Luther's 95 Theses the first reformation?
    There were earlier attempts at a reformation, most of which ended with someone getting burned at the stake.

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

Huss was about 200 years earlier in Bohemia. The first English translation of the Bible was about 100 years earlier. I'm not sure when Mennon fits in.

Another way to look at Church history is that each of the monastic movements was an attempt to reform the Church.

Probably the single biggest effective difference in the Reformation vs. all the others was the presence and use of the printing press. Once the ideas are out in the public you can't stop it by killing a few people.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Sunday, the 5th of November, there is a special worship service being held at the DOW Center here in Saginaw in honor of the 500th year. It is going to be a wonderful event and a blessing to all who attend I think. It starts at 4:00.

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

I did not know that there was a translation of the bible to English earlier than the King James Version, 1611. John Huss, Burned at the stake, 1415 for heresy.

I LIKE IKE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast