Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, well, well, look what's back.

Boolit Bub

Well, well, well, look what's back.

It looks like Ruger has resurrected the SP101 9mm. Now just as soon as they make a 9mm GP100, the line will form behind me.

http://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5783.html

Boolit Master
    That is going to kill the pawnshop owner closest to me. He has had one of the original ones in his display case for years at just under $2,500. I looked at GunBroker when I first saw it and they were no where near that high.

Wow, didn't expect that - $719 MSRP wonder what street price will be.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Not trying to be disparaging, just a little ignorant about Ruger DA revolvers. I love the SA but never had more than a handshake with a DA.

What niche does a five shot nine, that weighs 25+ oz, with exposed hammer, fill.

Not a game playing arm.
    Not really a concealed piece, with the exposed hammer and weight.
    Seems like many bad mouth the nine as not a good stopper.

It does solve the speed loader dilemma if carried.
    Everyone has a ammunition for it and it is inexpensive to toy with.
    An attractive package.
    And maybe best of all is it's a RUGER!

Just some random ramblings. Maybe I should go to bed, it's late.

Wife uses hers in 357 as purse gun - I'd say a dandy hiking sidearm

Oh, and 9mm with correct ammo is a decent stopper in warm climates.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

I wish they would have come out with a SP101 in 41 magnum a 9mm revolver with moon clips just don't trip my trigger
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 11-02-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I wish they would have come out with a SP101 in 41 magnum a 9mm revolver with moon clips just don't trip my trigger

Or even a GP-100 from the factory. I'd be on that like white on rice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    Not trying to be disparaging, just a little ignorant about Ruger DA revolvers. I love the SA but never had more than a handshake with a DA.

What niche does a five shot nine, that weighs 25+ oz, with exposed hammer, fill.

For me it's just I gave a lot of brass, don't have to chase or lose brass and it it's easy and cheap to load for. Ammo is everywhere. Wish it had a 3-4" barrel tho, and it won't be as loud or kick as bad as a 357.. YMMV Todd/3leg

Boolit Master

Even 38 SUPER would more interesting.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Coming from a guy who pretty much ONLY shoot 9mm in handguns......this is a silly idea. All that weight, only 5 shots and slow to reload.

Hmmmm.....PASS!
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

I love my Ruger wheelguns in .38 / .357 and .44, and have my share of 9mm semi autos, I like 'em all, and I'm usually a sucker for a new trend, but even I dont really see the appeal in a 5 shot 9mm wheelgun.... wouldn't that just be kind of a .38 special short that cant actually fire a real .38 spl? Why not just get it in .38 or .357?

Im not talking trash about 9mm's I have a G43 and love it for the weight and size, but If i were to buy a wheelgun for carry or even for the range I dont see what gap a snubby 5 shot 9mm is trying to fill?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Wow, didn't expect that - $719 MSRP wonder what street price will be.
    $544 on Bud's.

Boolit Master
    Since my cancer treatments I have neuropathy really bad. It's hard to pick up primers and such. I really suck now when shooting my Glock 19, not so much with my Ruger Lc9s pro. I do so much better with a revolver, as well as a 1911 style pistol. I can shoot my S&W model 19 quite well, both single and double action, but prefer a DA revolver shot in SA mode.

All the above drivel to say that I wouldn't mind one, but preferably one that didn't use moon clips. If Ruger can make a cylinder for a .45 acp that doesn't need clips, it should be able to do the same for a 9 mm.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Not trashing - but for the price of it, I'll stick with my 38 spl. Smith Model 36s - snub and 3". I don't need moon clips and I have the choice of loading up 38 Colt Short, Long or 38 Special. I like the 9mm Luger cartridge but will stick to my Shield for that. Cutting down to 5 rounds that requires moon clips in a revolver that is priced more than what I paid for either of my J frames seems like a step backwards - at least for me. I can see how it would appeal to some though so if you like it, then go for it! I wonder how long they'll be making it based on what their sales might be - but I'm sure that they had to have done their market research.

Boolit Master

There's a market for it. Factory economy grade 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper than the equivalent .38 Special. If I wanted to shoot my carry gun a lot, and didn't reload my own practice ammo, I'd consider buying one. For people whose knowledge of ballistics consists of asking "Is it bigger than a .22?" it would be a fine choice. Ruger has made sillier things, consider the 48 ounce Blackhawk .327.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    There's a market for it. Factory economy grade 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper than the equivalent .38 Special. If I wanted to shoot my carry gun a lot, and didn't reload my own practice ammo, I'd consider buying one. For people whose knowledge of ballistics consists of asking "Is it bigger than a .22?" it would be a fine choice. Ruger has made sillier things, consider the 48 ounce Blackhawk .327.
    I totally agree. I and I will start off by saying I am a 38/357 snubbie fanboy! But the ammo for 38 is expensive and pretty weak compared to the 9mm offerings out there, when a person is buying off the shelf. Except for Remington G\W 125gr +p SJHP in 38. . Good blend of cheap and effective.

I’m carrying a Taurus 405, it’s a five shot 40SW. It’s my weapon I carry when I go to work in uniform. I can carry it easier and unload easier and load and holster it safer (IMHO) while in the truck and storing it at work. The moon clips make it easy.

Now does the 405 offer anything that my TAURUS CIA 357 doesn’t? Nope! Except it’s more convenient for me. And I won’t forget a round laying out in the front seat and someone tells IA on me and I get a scolding from the warden. the moon clips makes unloading and loading very quick and painless.

And the 405 take the ammo as my G23 and G22. So I only worry about packing one caliber when going to the range.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    i'll have a gp100 in .40 s&w please!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post

Not a game playing arm.
    Not really a concealed piece, with the exposed hammer and weight.
    Seems like many bad mouth the nine as not a good stopper.

It does solve the speed loader dilemma if carried.
    Everyone has a ammunition for it and it is inexpensive to toy with.
    An attractive package.
    And maybe best of all is it's a RUGER!

Only reason to have a 9mm revolver is if you don't like 9mm autopistols, but want something that can fire the round, to exploit any ammo which falls off the tailgate of the alien spaceship...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    i'll have a gp100 in .40 s&w please!
    Second that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    I don't understand the attraction of the 9mm revolver, a .38 would be much less hassle, now a 10mm!!!! That might be worth the hassle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast