Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, well, well, look what's back.

The guy in the video did a good job and as always it comes down to personal choice weighting all the variables. There is no one gun or round that is better. I know folks keep trying to advance that notion, but as I said, the guy in the video is right.

Over the years, I have carried quite a few different handguns, both autopistols and revolvers. Where I am now, at my age and health, I carry a 2" Smith and Wesson 64. Around the house it is usually a 1911. Because, I don't "carry" a 1911 for defense, for home or field use, I ALWAYS keep the chamber empty. I do not do this for safety reasons, but to be consistent. If I am going to shoot the 1911 at home, at the range or in the field, I must rack the slide. No exceptions. I am not worried about the extra split second it takes to rack the slide under those circumstances.

I am not going to tell anybody else what they should do, much less what they must do. I will just tell them to reason it through for themselves. It is their life on the line and not somebody's else's. To weight the pro and cons of both types of handguns, the video above does a fine job of helping with that.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 08:11 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Been out of the loop on gun stuff for a few months dealing with lesser matters such as work and family (not really lesser, but you get the idea). I can see the 9mm SP-101 appealing to those who already have a 9mm bottom feeder and would like to add a wheelgun but not another caliber. Otherwise, I really don't get it. About the same size and more weight and purchase price than my Glock 26 with half the ammo. No thanx, I'll pass. The 8 shot .22 SP-101 looks like alot of fun though.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

There are a couple places that will machine the cylinder of the 357/38 revolvers for 9mm moon clips. The gun will still fire 357/38 after the conversion. I don't know how well they'd shoot factory 9mm due to the larger bore. For lead bullets it would probably work fine.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 08:10 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have read that Ruger used the exact same barrels on the Six series revolvers across all calibers (.38, .357, 9mm, .380 Rim/.38 S&W), just stamped for the correct cartridge.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    now a 10mm!!!! That might be worth the hassle]
    I was just thinking that .... a GP100 in 10mm would definitely have my interest... and maybe help breath a little more life into that cartridge again

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nitroviking View Post
    I was just thinking that .... a GP100 in 10mm would definitely have my interest... and maybe help breath a little more life into that cartridge again
    Or in the SP101! That would be interesting. Able to shoot both 40SW and 10mm with moon clips.

That would be on my wish list!

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    There are a couple places that will machine the cylinder of the 357/38 revolvers for 9mm moon clips. The gun will still fire 357/38 after the conversion. I don't know how well they'd shoot factory 9mm due to the larger bore. For lead bullets it would probably work fine.
    TK Customs https://www.tkcustom.com/services/machining machines a 38/357 cylinder to take moon clips and modify them also to accept 9mm rounds. All the ones I have seen have been machined to take a moonclip for the standard 38/357 case and they performed very well . I have never handled a 38/357 converted to 9mm.

https://tenring.com/moon-clip-conversions/

Source for 38/357 moonclips

http://www.revolversupply.com/moon-c...7-8-shot-blue/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-04-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are a police officer whose issue round is the 9 mm, then a 9 mm Revolver makes a modicum of sense as a choice for an off-duty weapon. You use the same ammo you carry in your duty weapon, use department issued, practice ammo, or at worst, cheap, generic ball for training purposes. A lot of people in Law Enforcement aren't exactly rolling in dough, so economizing on ammo helps.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    Coming from a guy who pretty much ONLY shoot 9mm in handguns......this is a silly idea. All that weight, only 5 shots and slow to reload.

Hmmmm.....PASS!
    Revolvers will always have a place because self loaders don't work from inside your pocket or purse after the first shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgWKg6oyQr4
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Revolvers will always have a place because self loaders don't work from inside your pocket or purse after the first shot.
    10X!
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Only reason to have a 9mm revolver is if you don't like 9mm autopistols, but want something that can fire the round, to exploit any ammo which falls off the tailgate of the alien spaceship...
    I have to admit my keyboard get dunked on that comment. Please give a warning when I have coffee in my mouth. :>)

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I have a 9mm revolver but it isn't exactly easily concealable.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	170341.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	207455

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have a 9mm revolver but it isn't exactly easily concealable.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	170341.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	207455
    I would really enjoy that particular model of 9mm Revolver.

it's expensive but it shoots and handles great.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I wish they would have come out with a SP101 in 41 magnum a 9mm revolver with moon clips just don't trip my trigger
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Or even a GP-100 from the factory. I'd be on that like white on rice.
    GP-100 or GP-101 in 41 mag ...Sign me up !

I'm only posting this, in case Ruger is watching this thread
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Kinda seems to me like buying a new car with manual crank windows and no power locks.

Boolit Master
    And now there is a Ruger SRH in 10 mm auto....that ought to be a rip!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    You know, it’s nice to have the option, but I won’t be buying the 9mm SP101 because I enjoy the same gun in .357 too much and carry it ever day. For 9mm, I have a couple bottom feeders and a TC Contender. To me, the 9mm is an excellent target round and a cheap to shoot reloadable replacement for a .22LR. I really like the caliber, just not for defense.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast