Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is going on with my lead?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    What lead/alloy were you using and what did you flux it with, how much flux did you use? did you cast after you fluxed it> if you did you could send one of those bullets to BNE and he could tell you what was in it.
    Plumbing pipe lead I think. I flux with a powder from Franklin Arsenal I picked up from Midway. Directions call for 1 tsp per pot. I do it 3-4x per pot full prior to casting. I do all my initial lead cleaning in a separate pot.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    Plumbing pipe lead I think. I flux with a powder from Franklin Arsenal I picked up from Midway. Directions call for 1 tsp per pot. I do it 3-4x per pot full prior to casting. I do all my initial lead cleaning in a separate pot.
    That is probably the problem, didn't get all the other things out at time you smelted?
    Charter Member #148

Banned

You know what I believe is better to flux with? A mixture of wax and sawdust. One fluxes and the other helps the alloys that escaped to top of the mix to get back into the mixture rather then losing them when you skim off the dirt.

Long ago I tried some of the commercial fluxes, I believe Marvelux?, and it caused a lot of rusting on any steel object in and near the vicinty of my casting area, including the iron molds!

Go check Your Wife,,,, See if She has a smile on Her face.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Boolit Buddy
    Wow....that's ugly. If you ever figure out what caused that please let us know. How full was the pot when you walked away? How hard/dense is that "stuff" on top of the lead?
    I also would recommend fluxing with sawdust and wax, probably cheaper than the commercial flux too.

Boolit Grand Master

Almost looks like your cat found a new heated litter box!
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Almost looks like your cat found a new heated litter box!
    Maybe that's what is left of the cat!

Banned
    I think we've found the culprit. +1 on fluxing with sawdust (pine preferably) and wax
    I like to cover the top of the melted lead with a layer of sawdust, wait until it chars then light it on fire. when it all burns to charcoal,
    I mix it thoroughly into the lead. I skim and repeat until the dross looks like this

I do the same thing in my casting pot (I start with a potato masher, then a wire wisp, works great for me).
    I leave it as a barrier to prevent oxidation and the lead from splashing when I drop my sprues back in

I like to use a stainless steel mesh strainer attached to a pole in my smelting pot to do the mixing and removal of most ot the dross
    Last edited by Grmps; 11-01-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    I think we've found the culprit. +1 on fluxing with sawdust (pine preferably) and wax
    I like to cover the top of the melted lead with a layer of sawdust, wait until it chars then light it on fire. when it all burns to charcoal,
    I mix it thoroughly into the lead. I skim and repeat until the dross looks like this

I do the same thing in my casting pot (I start with a potato masher, then a wire wisp, works great for me).
    I leave it as a barrier to prevent oxidation and the lead from splashing when I drop my sprues back in

I like to use a stainless steel mesh strainer attached to a pole in my smelting pot to do the mixing and removal of most ot the dross
    +1 on this method. Large spoon with drain holes to stir and scrape the bottom of the pot with.
    My only question is how did the pot stay full of lead ? I thought all those Lee pots dripped ?

Glad no real harm done and no Fire.

Mike

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by myg30 View Post
    +1 on this method. Large spoon with drain holes to stir and scrape the bottom of the pot with.
    My only question is how did the pot stay full of lead ? I thought all those Lee pots dripped ?Mike
    Mine don't drip if I use only clean alloy and keep it clean.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all. I suspected it was my fluxing or rather my lack of fluxing. I was in doubt though because of the amount of **** on the top. The consistency was mixed. Some of it was powdery, sort of like a rust dust. Some of it was clumped. It was very light when I removed it. I'm sure I pulled out some of the more desirable elements, but it showed me i need to change up my fluxing materials.

I dunno if this is just a joke thread or what. My understanding is melted lead alloy, kept on heat long enough will form oxides on the surface of the lead melt. So, with this pot of molten lead left on heat overnight, wouldn't that mess just be a massive amount of lead oxides formed and built up from the lead alloy being heated for a long period of time? - JJ

Banned
    I think its fake news

what I do to keep oxidation down is put a layer of unused cat liter on top. and when I add a ingot I just move it aside and put in the ingot. I used marvelux still have most of the container of it won't use that stuff again. what I use now is a blend of bees wax candle wax and pine pitch works great. D Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I think its fake news
    Are the Russians involved?

Boolit Master
    Good grief Charlie Brown.What PLANET did that lead come from?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    I fluxed this lead like crazy a couple of nights ago. I then forgot to turn off my pot and last night when I had the oh **** moment, I saw this. My pot was clean. Obviously my lead is really dirty,
    OOOhh gag... Somebody made a mess...!!! I'm glad for once, it wasn't me.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like what I got when I added stuff to remove zinc. I think is was sulfur based. It didn't bubble up so much but looked like it. I was outside and good thing because the sulfur really stunk!

Ed C

Looks like that pot is indoors. If not, it's one of the best laid out patio workshop I've ever seen.

You'll want to use that sawdust (and wax) outdooors. The sawdust smokes a lot and gets into all your casting clothing and the wax will smoke 10 times more unless you light it, then you simply get flames coming out followed by a nice smoke from paraffin infused sawdust. But it does keep the alloy nice and shiny.

crockett- I love that you feel the need to specify that UNUSED cat litter is to be used!!! lol-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12