Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 44 Super Mag project

44 Super Mag project

Started today on the 44 Super Mag project. Some time ago I picked up a 44 Mag barrel for a Model 95 Mauser (currently in 308 Win) which was in very good condition. Initially I found that the bolt face would have to be opened up to accomodate the larger 44 Mag case head then I did some measuring and found that a shortened 308 case would fit the chamber without modifying the bolt face.

Trimmed to 1.450" it is almost 0.20"longer than the base 44Mag case. The extra length and the 1:22" ROT should allow this rifle to launch the heaviest 44 projectiles available. nya:

For the magazine I found the box for a M95 Spanish 9mm conversion which is a perfect length, just make a new follower and magazine spring. The action is already drilled and tapped for a scope mount so it will become a 4 shot scoped 44 Super Mag.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Boolit Buddy
    Thats a neat project

Boolit Bub
    In to hear more about this. Looks like fun!!!

Neat! I did a 1891 in 44x1.8" and it's fun to shoot. Also did a 44x1.6" using the same 308/30-06 brass and found the 1.6" length to end up with the same case capacity as a 445SM so that data can be used to load it. Use a 444 marlin die to load them both. Was the barrel already set up for rimless cases or did you have to cut a case mouth step in the chamber?

Boolit Grand Master

I've been wanting to do similar in making something like a .444 Rimless using .308 brass blown out and maybe shortened a bit. My main reason is that it should be an easy build and I have lots of .44 moulds. I'd want a fast twist barrel like 1:18" or 1:20" to handle heavy boolits though. I think Marlin missed the boat with the .444 using slow twist and handgun bullets.

I'll be watching to see how this goes. Should be interesting. I like the idea of the rimless .445 SM too. Either with heavy boolits would do what I want I'm sure.

Longbow