RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: NEF Huntsman

Boolit Master

NEF Huntsman

Are they worth owning?
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master
    Mine is worth owning. It is in 50 cal and does every thing we ask it to do.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Tell me about the breech plug

Boolit Master

I had 58 cal with a screw-in breech plug back in the late 60's.
    Good shooter. Easy to clean. The first modern inlines.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

I had one, Ever since I let it go I have wished that I had it back. If you have one keep it.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Tell me about the breech plug
    If you open the breech while having a hangfire, the breechplug will go through you like a bullet and you will die.
    If you do not keep the firing pin and its' channel clean, the gun will discharge when you close the breech, just before the lock is engaged.

I have had them and shot them extensively (and cautiously).

Many of the local gun clubs would not allow them to be shot at BP matches.

They were a lot of fun back when you could buy them for $25. They were outlawed for deer hunting in Massachusetts back in the day.

Jack

There are two styles ....threaded and unthreaded breach plugs .. the unthreaded could potentially be an issue with a hang fire ....(however so is any break action rifle of shotgun.... Caution would dictate you do not open ANY weapon in that condition ...pointed towards your , or anyone else's , body).... That being said .. I Carry the unthreaded one . My older children carry the threaded one... I don't want to live with them possibly forgetting good safety practices. They have been shown, told, cautioned , warned and drilled on hang fires and safe practices on ALL manner of guns ... But .....well they are my kids what can I say.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Are you talking about the older 45,58 and 12 gauge or the newer 50? The breech plug in the newer guns is screw in no different design than any other muzzleloader of the same type.

Also . The other end of the tube always has the potential for discharging a projectile .....we have learned not to point that at ourselves either .. . Just saying.

I believe they were called by differing names as well, there was a huntsman and something else plains man .....something ....I don't recall if the difference was the breach plug (threaded being newer) or if it was a finish option. (color case harden vs blues)....I would have to get mine out and double check.

Boolit Master

There was a version called the sidekick.The one I'm looking at is the huntsman 50 cal. and comes with a 12ga barrel.I'm unsure of the breech plug style.I will get more info.

Don't open it towards your face when it is loaded and they are fine either way......just be aware.....

Boolit Grand Master
    I have seen pics of someone taking the barrel and drilling/tapping the barrel/breechplug and put a machine screw or bolt thru them both so as to not launch a breechplug towards the rear. Think the pic was over at Greybeards

Boolit Master
    My .45 Plainsman has the unthreaded plug, but the action will not break open far enough to release the plug. To remove the plug you have to remove the forend first, then you can remove the barrel and push out the plug.

Boolit Grand Master

I had one in .58 back in the 70's. I didn't really like it but that was more of "traditional" thing. I bought it because it was different. It shot well and it took a rather massive overload that caused it to break open but obviously pressure was back down because the breech plug stayed in. The massive overload was an error on my part.

Mine was push in breech plug with an O-ring seal.

After shooting it some I really didn't want a modern muzzleloader so decided to stick with more traditional styles. If you are a hunter I think it is a good gun. Yes, the first modern in-line.

The only issue I had was that the breech face crudded up with fouling then the action wouldn't close until the breech face was cleaned. My solution was to take a chainsaw file and put a groove through the the barrel and breech plug to vent. Bubba job maybe but it worked well and no more issue with the action not closing.

My understanding (maybe rumour maybe not) is that someone had a hangfire with one that had the push in breech plug and he opened then it went off and killed him. After that the threaded breech plug was used.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    "Value is in the eyes of the beholder." At the very least its worth?~~ 100.00 ($)
    I myself have never like NEF products.

Would I buy their B/P rifle? Never crossed my mind to want one.

Boolit Buddy

I have one that uses plastic discs to hold the 209 primer. Always worked.

Boolit Buddy
    The 12 gauge 50 cal. combo is a newer gun with a screw in breech plug.The difference between The Sidekick and the newer Huntsman is the Huntsman can take other barrels The sidekick is a muzzleloader only other barrels won't fit doesn't require any paperwork most places.I have the Sidekick my son has the 12 gauge/50 cal. Huntsman.The plastic primer holders work but there are aftermarket breech plugs that work a lot better.There is a lot of info on them at GBO.I have inlines from Knight,Thompson Center,CVA and Ruger the Sidekick works and shoots as good as any of them