Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Flame thrower could do the job?

Boolit Master
    A Glock 10MM COULD TOO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Flame thrower could do the job?
    I thought of maybe a very small, lite weight one with adjustable flame
    propane would be easy BUT doesn't shoot the flame very far. on the other hand, if you created a big enough flame the attacking animal would most likely try to avoid/get away from it
    Only problem, if you catch the woods on fire ...... house ......

A flaming bear might be bad PR for the hunting community.

How about a spear.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Well, I did a speed read through these 5 pages. Read one suggestion for the AR in .450 bushmaster. IMHO, excellent choice. Personally, I'd go M1 Garand, but doubt that's gonna happen in this case. So, here's my next best recommendation after a big bore AR;
    The Mectech 10mm
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...c&action=click

she should invite her ex husband along. use him as her defense, oh she will need a small cal. Pistol to shoot him in the foot. While she exits the area.
    All jokes aside that is a hard question sense you don't know what bear she will confront. I would think as big as she can handle so go to a range and rent a couple different ones for her to shoot and see what fits.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

That Mectech 10mm looks pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    That Mectech 10mm looks pretty fun.
    With the high cap mag, it would make for some serious close in bear medicine too. I want one in .45 acp. Wonder if it will take a steady diet of +p's

They make it for the 1911 as well; Oh joy, ANOTHER thing to put on the "Buy some day" list LOL

I've thought of making a Mauser or something into a .45 ACP or 9mm carbine, bolt gun one of those'd be fun for plinking; The semi-auto would probably be more fun though? Hmmmmmm...

The Rifleman had a dope bag article on the 45 ACP version. I couldn't find it in hurry but it had a positive review and did very good at 100 yds for accuracy.

But back on topic, hopefully the lady can find something that will let her get in the woods and feel reasonably safe. I have a load for my 44 Alaskan that shoots H&G 503 clones just over 1000 FPS.
    Last edited by pmer; 11-16-2017 at 09:14 PM.

Banned
    You think a flash-bang grenade would work?

It should, bur would be hard on her hearing too (And a 3 second delay between throwing it & it going off would be a LONG time if the bear is already charging her?) Might make as much sense to carry a blank gun as that's faster to first noise. But - Neither is guaranteed to stop the bear if it's inviting you to be its' next meal...

It should, bur would be hard on her hearing too (And a 3 second delay between throwing it & it going off would be a LONG time if the bear is already charging her?) Might make as much sense to carry a blank gun as that's faster to first noise. But - Neither option is guaranteed to stop the bear if it's "inviting you to be its' next meal"...

Banned
    that's where the dog (s) come to play, advanced warning system.
    Last edited by Grmps; 12-05-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Boolit Mold
    If not already, advise her to read Stephen Herrero's book about avoiding bear encounters and attacks. Folks living in bear country can decrease their risk of bear attacks much more with proper food and waste management than anything else. It should be required reading for anyone who thinks they need a bear gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    I'm trying to advise a woman for the best defense against bears, black and grizzly. She has had minimul shooting experience. I'm currently attempting to persuade her to professional training. Being an Arizona resident I've encouraged her to look into Thunderbird Acadamy about a two hour drive.

She's currently involved in building a house in rural Montana. Area residents have advised her black bears are common and occasionally a Grizzly. There is also danger from Mountin Lions and even aggressive territorial Elk and Moose during the rut.

She has shoulder problems resulting from an auto accident. A 12 ga was to painful for her. At a recent outing she rapid fired a pump 20ga with buck and slugs, it was painful and she refused to continue. She handled a 44 mag Redhawk with a 7"+ barrel but only managed 3 shots from a 4" S&W 41 and 2 shots from a 4" S&W 44 before calling it quits. Her handgun shooting at 15 yards was all over the target.

She's gotten some bad advice, an Ar-15 and a Montana gun shop almost talked her into a 7" Super Blackhawk for apx $900. I know the key is proper training but she's determined to buy a handgun.

I'm hoping a board member has some actual experience in bear country and can relay some useful advice. Between her and her husband running a business then back and forth from Phoenix to Montana. Spare time for training and most of all practice is tight. Any advice will be appreciated. Her husband also lacks shooting skills or experience.

Edit: Should have mentioned bear spray. Due to the almost constant wind in the area. Locals are weary of using bear spray.
    Considering the above I'd tell her she's better off without a gun. Sounds like she won't be able to do enough training to be able to use one in self defense.

If she persists, then recommend she meet with a professional guide from the area to train her for several months, if not longer. If she can only fire a couple of rounds at a time it will take a LONG time. Let her and her trainer pick a firearm for her.

Recommending a gun to her at this point is not a very smart thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PExl...ature=youtu.be

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345