WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best bear defense for a woman

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I would advise her to put her money into bear spray and a trained companion dog. It must be large enough and aggressive enough to keep animals away and she cannot be attached enough to value her life over her dogs.
    Great suggestion!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    A man....................ok just kidding 20 gauge with slug-00buck-slug slug slug in a defensive shotgun with tactical sling

Boolit Master

Given the terms of the situation including her lack of skill & poor desire to improve said deficiency....I'd go with both the 20ga auto and track shoes recommendations. First 2 loads #9 trap followed by 3 slug loads....blind him, pray a slug accidentally finds it's mark and track shoes to run like hell when the gun's empty. JMHO......
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    A slow, fat partner.
    and a .25 acp to slow him down.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banner Sponsor

If we go back to the original post, then I think we need to look at a few things.
    First is that she was encouraged to get some training. This is wonderful, but it doesn't say anywhere that she has refused to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    I'm trying to advise a woman for the best defense against bears, black and grizzly.
    She has had minimal shooting experience.
    This says to me that she will need a very simple to operate gun. So a double action revolver would be my choice. Pull the trigger and it will go bang. Yes a semi-auto handgun could put more rounds down range in a hurry, but if she limp wrists it she could get a jam which could put her out of the fight if she hasn't been trained on how to clear a jam in a hurry...

She has shoulder problems resulting from an auto accident. A 12 ga was to painful for her. At a recent outing she rapid fired a pump 20ga with buck and slugs, it was painful and she refused to continue.
    Her physical limitations keep her from being able to fire a shotgun from the shoulder. Firing from the hip takes more skill and practice, so I think that a shotgun is out of the running.

She handled a 44 mag Redhawk with a 7"+ barrel but only managed 3 shots from a 4" S&W 41 and 2 shots from a 4" S&W 44 before calling it quits.
    The 41 and 44 mag from a regular revolver appear to be way more than she can handle at her current level of skill and practice.
    So we need something that is a little less intimidating. It would be nice to have her try a 357mag; with 38s and 357s; a 44 special, 45acp, and a 45 Colt.
    Someone had a great suggestion of going to a range to rent and try some different guns. If you have anything smaller than the 41 and 44 mag for her to try, you could save her a little money, but if not, then the rental range would be a great next step.
    There was another great suggestion of starting her with a 22lr and slowly move up from there.

Her handgun shooting at 15 yards was all over the target.
    Maybe move her up to 7 yards until she gets some practice and confidence, then move her back to 15 and 25 yards.

I know the key is proper training but she's determined to buy a handgun.
    If she is determined to buy a handgun, then lets help her to get something that she will actually be able to use and protect herself with.

Her husband also lacks shooting skills or experience.
    My thought here is to have them get 2 of the same gun, caliber, model, and barrel length...
    That way if one of them has to use the others gun, they will be totally familiar with it.

So what should they get? How about a pair of stainless 357 mag double action revolvers.
    Stainless will probably hold up better to not being cleaned and oiled on a regular basis, which the new gun owners may not do as much as the rest of us.
    357 mag would give them 3 different power levels to practice with, 38 spl, 38 +P, and 357mag. Maybe 4 levels if we include some Buffalo Bore 180 LFN https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=162

Boolit Master

I would suggest a short legged fatter friend who is slow of foot.

Now really she needs practice and a good dog or two. A shotgun on a sling for walks in the forest or what ever revolver she can handle. The bigger the better.

Boolit Master
    teach her to throw hand grenades....and hit the deck.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    On thinking more - Showed her a Hi Standard model 10B shotgun? Bullpup and sorta Mac-10ish format, semi auto so it should absorb some of the recoil; Not in production, sadly, and NOT free; But carries a fast 5 rounds in the tubular magazine iirc. (Not owned one; Sorta wanted one since I knew they exist tho LOL)

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/High_Standard_Model_10

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    A man...................
    Scroll through three pages to find somebody beat me to it!

Boolit Master

With all the restrictions/roadblocks to adequate protection, I think her best bet is a fat slow companion!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Idaho45guy, I stand corrected. Gunsite is what I had in mind. I believe Gunsite is located on Cooper's Thunderbird Ranch.

A recent conversation with her father revealed she is open and even somewhat enthusiastic about professional training. Her father and I have been close friends for about 60 years. We are both avid gun people but admittingly piss-poor shooting instructors.

Her father and I with some disagreement have narrowed the handgun choices down to three. Ruger Alaskan, the new five shot S&W 44 mag and I recently added fuel to the fire by suggesting a 10 mm. She is a petite women but very headstrong and somewhat a workaholic. What ever she decides, hopefully with a competent instructor's input. I belive with her determination she will master whatever hand cannon she decides.

THX!! for everybody's input and advice.

Boolit Master

She has had minimul shooting experience

She has shoulder problems resulting from an auto accident. A 12 ga was to painful for her. At a recent outing she rapid fired a pump 20ga with buck and slugs, it was painful and she refused to continue.

handled a 44 mag Redhawk with a 7"+ barrel but only managed 3 shots from a 4" S&W 41 and 2 shots from a 4" S&W 44 before calling it quits. Her handgun shooting at 15 yards was all over the target.
    Sometimes we just have to walk away from foolishness, and this sounds like total foolishness. Some folks have an unrealistic vision of reality.
    Put 10 horses on a desert, give them a water troth and the one that don't drink---dies.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    Sometimes we just have to walk away from foolishness, and this sounds like total foolishness. Some folks have an unrealistic vision of reality.
    Put 10 horses on a desert, give them a water troth and the one that don't drink---dies.
    I agree. Help until you see to many excuses or resistance and then write off the person as one to help.
    Like someone asking for help when they see you possibly knowing more on a subject than them and then they want to argue with you on everything. If they know enough to argue with you then they don't need to be asking questions.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Ok, here is my two cents worth.
    1. Lg can of bear spray.
    2. S&W model 629 in 44 mag with a 8-1/8" barrel.

Two handed practice with 44 specials. As mentioned a quality chest holster and spray holder on a belt should work fine. I have shoulder impairment of 15 percent from a job working in a mill, but this revolver is heavy enough with the full lug to be steady and is very easily to shoot with one hand with almost no muzzle rise. The only downside to this caliber if she learns to shoot it is after two or three rounds of full load 44's unless she is planning on being outdoors and wearing ear protection her ears are really going to hurt something aweful.

Boolit Master

Yesterday, I stopped at my friends house. Before pulling off the road and into the drive I could see him cleaning leaves out of the gutter and his wife holding the ladder at the bottom.
    I got out of my truck and walked to where they were working. When I got next to Mrs.G. I scared her so bad she turned and screamed and hit me 4 or 5 times before she got control of herself.
    Now, if I can scare a civilized person who knows and trusts me, think of what a wild grizzly bear would do to someone if you scare them!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

A .410 pump with slugs would be better than a handgun that she can't hit anything with.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I would advise her to put her money into bear spray and a trained companion dog. It must be large enough and aggressive enough to keep animals away and she cannot be attached enough to value her life over her dogs.
    Good advice here. Bear spray in some quarters is better than a gun that misses. Besides Grizzlies take to long to bleed out. A barking dog and a can of bear spray would be all she really needs. A heavy handgun is not going to be any use for her and a smaller one just might make the situation worse. She would be well advised to take some training on how to use bear spray. When out and about it pays to let the critters know where you are. Gives then a chance to get out of your way.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Everyone turns and twist away from a Glock M20 10MM but if she has the strength to rack the slide it would be a good carry gun without heavy recoil.
    Carrys well inside the waist band or out side carry either one.
    Do people,have some kind of adversion to a 10MM or just an adversion to me?
    If it is me, I couldn't care less, but don't let your disdane for me bias you from a great cartridge with decent power. Buffalo Bore 220 gr hard cast or Underwood in the same would be okay. The same brands of ammo in the 200 gr XTP at around 1250 would be good too.
    And 16 rounds too for those that believe in laying down a line of fire.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 11-05-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    I seethe lady rangers in Yellowstone carrying the large size can of bear spray. I would think it would be more effective than a handgun.

Jedman
    That is so they can find the bear scat to track the bear. Just look for scat with seasoned with pepper.

Bear spray is limited to under 35 feet, much too late on a charging bear. I second the lever rifle in 44 mag suggestion, and a emergency boat horn. If those are out of the question then a pair of rottweilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    That is so they can find the bear scat to track the bear. Just look for scat with seasoned with pepper.

Bear spray is limited to under 35 feet, much too late on a charging bear. I second the lever rifle in 44 mag suggestion, and a emergency boat horn. If those are out of the question then a pair of rottweilers.
    I guess it depends where you live. Up here the bush is so thick 35 ft maybe more than you will have before you would even see the bear. 'That said most Black's are pretty timid/shy and are more live and let live.
    Don't confuse bear defense with hunting bear. A real short trapper length lever gun will get you maybe one shot off if you are lucky. Bear spray and noise are probably your two best friends in bear country. Failing the spray a .357.44mag in a revolver <4" barrel might be your best last chance. The ones I have encountered either beat a hasty retreat or just wandered off once they got a sense they were in no danger. Lots of good info out there on bears. A little common sense and noise goes a long way in keeping everyone on the same page.

A short barreled 12 gauge with slugs is what I field on the rare occasions I decide to go hiking. Not an option for the gal mentioned here though.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast