Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best bear defense for a woman

Boolit Master

n!
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 08:10 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Banned
    It sounds like she wouldn't be able to handle what would be effective in the short time she had to use it.
    A 50AE would be my first choice for a hand carry but you know how it kicks. A revolver won't get enough lead out there fast enough if she's attacked and doesn't get a perfect shot off.

I would second a couple of dogs. (they will detect a bear/aggressor long before she would and it becomes a problem) and they can slow most anything down!
    With dogs distracting/engaging the aggressor she would have time to get to safety or drop the aggressor with a firearm she could handle.

Had to get my 2¢ worth in.

Boolit Master
    My nod even in this case goes with a .44 mag or .45 Long Colt firing revolver.

Handload for practice and then for business.

In the .45 clambering I would insist on a revolver strong enough to handle +P loads .... the Redhawk comes to mind.

Personally I load for and pack a 44 Mag Smith Mountain gun. I can and do load it for several different power levels.

I believe it was John Linebaugh’s son who hunted for and bagged a large Northern bear, grizzly or larger and downed it with a 45 Ruger with a cast boolit traveling at a sedate 1000 FPS

I have had a number of gals shoot my MG with boolits of similar weight to what Linebaugh used at around that power level and they all found it quite useful. I think that one willing to venture into “bear country” who is concerned with personal safety and wants to rely on a gun ought to consider a packable revolver of a caliber of 44 or larger and loaded with fairly heavy lead at a power level that they can handle.

It will take practice and hard work and at times .... pain but could reap big dividends If there is an encounter.

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    I would be against having a free running dog in bear country. They can quickly get in over their heads and bring the bear (or wolves) right into your lap. Not talking about trained bear hounds or even coon hounds. A local woman had this happen with wolves and spent a halve hour backed up against a tree til hubby came to the rescue. The happy ending=before the incident she was a pacifist anti gun lib. and after she bought a revolver.

Boolit Master
    I bought my wife a Remington 870 youth 20ga. She is 100 pounds on a good day. She shoots it just fine but when she shot my 12ga Beretta A300 recently she said it had less recoil than her pump. I have to agree with her observation after comparing the two.

Another option would be an AR in 450 Bushmaster, 458 Socom, or 50 Beuwolf. I have shot the 50 and the 458 and find the recoil to be similar to a 20ga.

As far as handguns go I think a 4" 357 mag would be the lightest I would carry or want my wife carrying. 180gr wfn pushed hard. Practice with 38 wadcutters until she builds up the confidence and shooting skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Semi Auto shotguns seem to absorb some of the recoil upon firing - Helps for those of us not in the Yeti size class

LOL I'm not a Yeti, but I suppose I'm more Oragutan or very small gorilla. Never the less, I appreciate the reduced recoil offered bu the semi auto shotguns.
    My arthritis complains about recoil enough that I am all over ways to reduce it.

Bison Charge

If you guys get to it go here:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca.../5643036281001

and watch the video about the fellow who got charged by a Bison up in the Yukon. He survived the Bison did not. Most of the action appears to have involved less than 10 yards.

Take Care

Bob
    ps the video may not be up if you are reading this post after a day or two.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

That guy was really shook and justifiably so. It didn't say what he shot the bison with though.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    That guy was really shook and justifiably so. It didn't say what he shot the bison with though.
    No. Sounds like a hunting party and that would make it a rifle for sure. Those Wood Buffalo or Bison are huge animals and would be the last animal I would want to butt heads with. We have none around here. I have seen a herd of them run, and I mean run, through 5" of snow with no apparent effort on their part over in Wood Buffalo National Park just west of Ft. Smith, NWT. Fascinating when you are in your car 100 yards away. Folks who carry large heavy long barreled handgun will never get them in action before they are doing a hand to hand dance.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    Put 10 horses on a desert, give them a water troth and the one that don't drink---dies.
    Can I steal that quote? Sounds better than mine "Can lead a horse to water, but cant make him drink. I sure as hell can drown him though."
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by Three-Fifty-Seven View Post
    Stay in the kitchen!
    Or as my wife says, "A woman's place is in the Mall"
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, four pages of dancing around looking for a way to tell someone unwilling and unable to deal with the danger she perceives as possible that she shouldn't go there... so if she really wants to go, a Humvee with a gun tub mounting a Ma Deuce is probably her only choice... either that or a bunch of slow, fat, expendable companions. She needs a reality check, but then again, that may be JMO.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by green frog View Post
    ok, four pages of dancing around looking for a way to tell someone unwilling and unable to deal with the danger she perceives as possible that she shouldn't go there... So if she really wants to go, a humvee with a gun tub mounting a ma deuce is probably her only choice... Either that or a bunch of slow, fat, expendable companions. She needs a reality check, but then again, that may be jmo.
    amen!!!

Boolit Master
    With my wife, I would be more concerned about the bear's safety.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

A man with a big gun, or a slow hiking buddy. Sorry, couldn’t resist.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Moderator Emeritus

Most of us are gun people, we shoot, practice and read about them. We should not give advice to those who have no interest in them other than the one time they might keep someone alive. That person will neither practice nor carry on a regular basis. In order to stay protected one has to want the protection bad enough to overcome all inconveniences.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Most of us are gun people, we shoot, practice and read about them. We should not give advice to those who have no interest in them other than the one time they might keep someone alive. That person will neither practice nor carry on a regular basis. In order to stay protected one has to want the protection bad enough to overcome all inconveniences.

Bravo poster--

I can say with a high degree of certainty the above post was about all that was
    needed as an answer.

I have seen the wanting results without the interest or the desire to do the work attitude
    many times, I have questioned myself and quietly questioned others--as to why the headlong pursuit. Is it to prove something to our-self ? when it's often obvious to many others the quest will accomplish nothing.
    no desire = no results
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Hike with a pike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    She could hike with a bang stick (like divers use), she may still get scratched but it might save her life?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...guns-in-Alaska!

If she doesn't want to protect herself and still wants to do this, buy her a Bible and suggest she makes her peace with God

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast