RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Mold

Question First Mold

I've only been reloading for a couple of months, but now I have a powerful urge to cast my own boolits. What is a good first mold to start with?

I plan to powder coat and Lee size. Cartridges I'm currently loading: .45 ACP, 8x57 Mauser, .223/5.56. I'm leaning toward a light (185 grain) SWC for the .45, but on the other hand I have a greater need for 8mm projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by etherwalker View Post
    I've only been reloading for a couple of months, but now I have a powerful urge to cast my own boolits. What is a good first mold to start with?

I plan to powder coat and Lee size. Cartridges I'm currently loading: .45 ACP, 8x57 Mauser, .223/5.56. I'm leaning toward a light (185 grain) SWC for the .45, but on the other hand I have a greater need for 8mm projectiles.
    The. 452 cal lee mold 230 gr swc cast nice for me, it shoots real good out of my roa with 30 grains of fffg American pioneer powder.

Boolit Master
    I bet you'll shoot more 45acp then the other 2. The learning curve is easier on the 45acp too.

It might be an easier learning curve starting out casting with the .452...buy yourself something like the 200g. RNF, and start out with the Lee 6 ganger...that's a favorite and feeds well/easy to load too in most all the 1911's.

Once you get familiar with managing mould and melt temperature you could move into the 8mm or the .223...I dunnoh...start wherever you want, you'll pick it up pretty quick in either case.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

If you want to start casting, a steel mould is the least troublesome. I like aluminum, I like Lee double cavity moulds for their price...but they need some TLC and prepping before casting and can be temperamental. Aluminum is soft and MUST be properly lubed.
    My first moulds were steel Lyman and I cast with them for years and never lubed them...no harm, you can't do that with aluminum....one session would ruin it. My brother in law didn't lube one and galled the top so badly I wanted to choke his ignorant neck.

If you get a Lee, be sure to read all the stickies on prepping the mould, de-burring , lubing and heat cycling and seasoning. Done correctly a Lee will cast very decent boolits but you still have to baby it.

I like the looks of the Lee 452-200-SWC for 45 acp myself.
    Good luck
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Considering the price of .22 cal bullets, can you really justify the time spent casting them?
    This post is for newbies only, for those of us who have been making boolits for a while, when you're hooked you're hooked.

Boolit Master

I would ask for georgeonedollars help in helping hands and get a small sample of several types of the caliber you want to start with and see what your gun likes best then invest in that mold.

Quote Originally Posted by nvbirdman View Post
    Considering the price of .22 cal bullets, can you really justify the time spent casting them?
    This post is for newbies only, for those of us who have been making boolits for a while, when you're hooked you're hooked.
    Yeah, I didn't even list 9mm since I don't bother reloading that at all. I'm sure I won't be casting .223 for now. It might not be bad to have a mold for it in my drawer, though, just in case we get another shortage.

Boolit Master

I would start with a fishing weight slug to see what sizer you needed. Pick a bullet for your intended purposes and have at it. I recommend Lee Mold's, maybe I had luck of the draw but all my Lee molds are my work horses. Then you can tumble lube them and try them out to see if that's what you really want to do before running down the rabbit whole and having Tea with us and Ole Mad hater.

Pistol rounds would be the easiest to start with. Not that trouble some. Though they can still be tuned and loaded for accuracy just easier to get it working like it should for plinking fun. Then once your hooked you can experiment. You will most likely have leading issues. That's why I say slug your barrel now.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Its hard to beat an RCBS 2 cavity mold. I never had one that would not produce good bullets.

Boolit Master

All good advice, I to would go with a steel mold for your 45ACP. I do not cast, load or shot the 45ACP, but in my little experience the fat boolits cast the easiest.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    NOE has a number of 8mm molds. Everything from lightweights to heavyweights and a variety of shapes from spire points to round nose bullets. His 453-200 SWC, an HG68 clone, clone is my favorite 45 ACP mold.

If your on a budget I'd go with the Lee 200 grain SWC.

Thumbs up C324-175-1r.

First boolit I ever cast was with the LEE Precision C324-175-1R.

I say cut your teeth there.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

I suppose once I've got the pot, the lead, the powder coat, the toaster oven, the expander die and whatever else I need to start I might as well get both the Lee 324 and 452 dies. In the meantime I'd better slug the bore on that old Mauser.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I started out years ago with a Lee 6 cav Al mold......gets addictive!!!!!! Cheap......and easy to sell if you want to change. And I just cannot see wasting time casting 1 or 2 slugs at a time! I get a 98% good rate with all my 4/5/6 cav molds in many cals in Al and brass.

I love 45 cal projectiles and would highly recommend starting there.

Slugging is the 1st thing you should do B4 buying anything.

I wish there were a "like" button. Thank you all for your suggestions!

I started with a borrowed 2 cavity Lyman for 44 mag. That grew to a 6 cavity 45, H&G #34 (I think). It's an old mold. Before WW2. I have had 2 Lee aluminum molds. If you take care with them, they're OK. But my brother dropped one and got it messed up. The pins got buggered up.

Good luck with which ever you choose.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Grand Master

K.I.S.S.! Start with a tried and true, "classic" bullet; a round nose , 230 grain bullet for your 45 ACP. Yep, many folks cast various 45s in various weights, but start off with one that has been cast since the 45 ACP was invented and you'll have fewer problems. Some guns won't feed some bullet profiles without modification and every 45 ACP I've seen or heard of will feed and shoot 230 gr. RN bullets safely and accurately. I believe it's much easier to cast and shoot then the other two you mention. A 2 cavity mold will give enough bullets as to not be a drudge, but much easier to control the temperature than a long 6 cavity.Just about any alloy can be used from range scrap to wheel weights to linotype. Also many lubes with work with the "big and slow" slug...

I'd also suggest you cast a bunch and lube and shoot them before you branch out to PCing them. You might find you can get good bullets that don't lead the barrels and drop the PC coating. I did. You don't have to do all the advanced methods, bullet styles right from the beginning. Get the simple bullet design casting down first, then you'll be much better off at using alternative methods/designs...
    Last edited by mdi; 10-31-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I started casting a couple months ago and it was easier than I expected. I would start with a mold for the 45. Once you get the process down, then get a mold for the 8MM and whatever else strikes your fancy. Handgun bullets are more forgiving, especially low pressure stuff like the 45, so make your mistakes there. I started with 2 cavity molds, but I think future purchases will be 4 and up for higher volume handgun bullet casting. Rifle bullets matter more to me, so I have no problem going slower and extra carefully with a 2 banger for those.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by etherwalker View Post

I have 2 8MM molds for sale, a Saeco and a NOE if you're interested pm
    For details,
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast