Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingPBcastco
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22 drop @300yds

I am doing something similar for my 22lr out to 100 yards. I haven't worked up enough nerve to find the mark for 200 yet.

Depends on the day, the wind, the tide, the sun, the gun and the ammo. The answer is found in the field or on the range- not on the net or in a book. Lots of voodoo involved in ballistics.

Boolit Master

Hey guys. I have an app on my phone called "strelok" it's a ballistic calculator gizmotronic type thing. It is quite accurate if you put in the correct paramiters.
    I use it quite a bit, showed it to a long time small bore shooter he was amazed, he noted it was almost as accurate as his notes he made over the last 55 years.
    Agreed it is complicated, border line rocket surgery. I have found this is better than licking your finger and hiesting it over your head.
    If it's voodoo, become the voodoo master.
    Be safe
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master

Nice to see someone using their head and having a good time to play at long range. Good for you turtelzx, wish I had even a local 200 yd. range. Had a lot of fun at our 200yd range till some dumb*** club member checked our elevation and declared the 200 yd berm a "wetland".
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    yes as well as 1 stray boolit into a house and the range is shut down and my not open again

Boolit Grand Master

The one problem with the drop calculators and Ballistic computers with 22 long rifle is the lack of BC for the bullets. You can get this from other BC computers if you have velocities from 2 or more distances. Other wise the bc can be a guess. The Lab Radar unit will give velocities for 5 different distances over a given range, allowing for a accurate bc to be calculated. On the 22 LR bullet I would expect around .25 or so.

Boolit Master
    back to the 300yd range today Just keeps getting better!!
    8-10" plate everaging 3 or4 hits per 10 shots. but did have a lucky streak and nailed it 9 in a row!!
    thought it would be easier to see the dirt fly so i shot at the 3" plate hit 1 st shot.
    hit it 7 or 8 times overall during the day maybe averaging 1 or 2 hits per 10 shots

Boolit Master

Agreed. It is for center fire but i input 22lr specs and it works, and quite well. I use .12 as a bc for 22lr.
    Be safe
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    The Hawke ballistic app for phones is pretty darn good for 22lr
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...wke.brc2&hl=en
    Also chairgun pro for pellets works extremely well for 22lr in my experience
    https://www.hawkeoptics.com/chairgun.html
    All though these a geared towards their optics the drops and drift are generally spot on.

. All calculations will fall with in the capabilities of me and my rifles.

I have been using a BC of .08 for my default and 1.5" sight height it gets me close for my needs which is basically SR target with a 3moa 10 ring out to 200 yards. The 2 rifles I use are zeroed at 100 yards.
    Which gives me a "average" come up of 22min for 200 and 52min for 300
    Going to short range it approx 3" high at 25 and 5" high at 50
    Last edited by mac1911; 12-10-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    UPDATE
    bought a cheep ebay no name scope
    6x24 power,adj objective lens for paralax,,target turret style knobs,,red +green lighted crosshairs,,lens covers,,ring mounts,battery,,
    with shipping fron china for $36.00 !! how they can make money on these is surprizing.
    bought 1 for a 218bee before and put 400 rds thru it with no issues
    at 300yds i can see 22cal bullet holes on white target
    the reason i went with this type of scope is below the cross hairs theres a ladder site that extends to near the bottom of the lens.
    my thought was to sight in dead on @100yds then use the ladder site for 300 yds .
    need to try diffent ammo to possibly improve accurace shot 5 shot groups with fed auto match of 2" ( gun can do better) marlin 25
    Needed to compensate for 8' of drop. at 24x the bottom of the ladder site was 4' below the cross hairs not enough .
    backed off the power to 14x then had 8' feid of view used the next to the last ladder there are 6 of them
    this put poi dead on at 300 yds . could see the dirt fly in the berm.
    8or 10" steel plate was being hit 3 or4 times out of 10 !!! happy camper
    with fresh black paint i could see the splatter on 14x setting
    other shooters must have been looking at me funny i was giggling like a school girl!!

with this set up there is no further sight adj its on at 100 and 300 just crank up or down on the power and paralax and shoot
    could use aladder in the middle and different power settting to zero at 200 also but why shoot 200 when you can do 300?

try it you'll like it

turtlezx
    I started with a Kimber Model 82 Gov't with a 6-18 scope zeroed at 200, set up a used disk blade from a John Deere BWA. ~18" dia. Started aiming dead on then kept raising crosshairs above the disk blade until I hit it. Once I got the guestimate elevation (twig in the dirt above the disk blade) I whacked the blade every time. The thin blade rang like a bell even with the 22. You could hear it @ 300 even with ear plugs in and old guy ears.

Would have adjusted the scope but I had run out of elevation.

I like reactive targets. A lot. A whole lot.

Need to make up another disk blade dinger, the one I used then doesn't ring as nicely as it used to, the rummies I was shooting with when I had it out had 22-250/.223/243/222/6BR/ kinda dinger ringers. It looks more like swiss cheese now.

Boolit Mold
    I see this is an old thread but I always like seeing others stretching the limits with a 22 rimfire. These have been posted on other sites but for those that may not frequent them I'll put some links here. Rimfire Central has them and others in the long-range section. I have long-range rimfire matches at my range but only shoot from 25 yards to 197 yards at varying sizes and shaped steel plate racks here in East Central Ohio.

300 yards on a 6"x8" plate.

300 yards with a 22 pistol.

300 yards with peep sights.

500 yards at Rayners with my 40x.

It's an amazing round, far more accurate than most realize and if you search for how leathal it can be at distance on YouTube you'll be surprised.

Drop at 300 yards with a 50 yard zero varies slightly depending on which gun I'm using. My 10" Exemplar pistol uses the same settings as my 28" rifles except for the 40-X. Pistol is still trying to go faster, the 28" barreled guns are slowing down in the barrel so near identical velocities and settings. My 40-X along with a friend's are our fastest guns, not sure why. The BC I use in Strelok is .14 which works well for the Wolf MT I use.

Drop at 300 yards is 152 inches for the pistol, 150 inches for the 52-C and 131 inches for the Reminder 40-X. At 500 yards it took 94 moa or 495 inches. Some claim it's like artillary shooting at that distance but you wouldn't want to stand out there and feel safe.

It's not that hard to do, very similar to shooting 1000 yard targets but having to rely on the ammo for consistent velocities makes it frustrating. Give it a try, you'll be surprised.

Topstrap
    Last edited by Topstrap44; 06-19-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Winchester dynapoint is -156” at 300 with a 50 yard zero.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12