Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Holster comments

Banned

Holster comments

Despite all of the advances in materials and designs, I still find myself gravitating towards the simple leather pancake holster with a thumb break strap. Old School, I guess.
    I've used the synthetic materials and like them in some applications but the OWB types just do not conceal well for me. They seem to be a bit bulkier than the leather holsters and tend to ride much lower in relation to the belt line. So the old tried and true leather OWB pancake style still gets my vote.
    I've used them all: Galco, G&G, Mitch Rosen, Bell Charter Oak and some lessor known makers. I've got a shelf, or two, full of leather gear. After all of the years, the rig I keep coming back to is the Don Hume H721 "Double-Nine".

At first glance the "Double-Nine" looks pretty much like any other thumb break pancake holster but there are subtle differences that are important to me. Perhaps I bonded to my first one and that influenced me ?

The first feature that I really like about the Double-Nine is the increased coverage of the pistol. A lot of the competitors' holsters are cut away (to increase the speed of the draw? not sure why). The Double Nine covers more of the gun and provides just enough room for a full grip prior to the draw. (The Galco FLETCH is also good in this area). It would be a secure holster even without the strap.
    The second feature is the angle of the forward cant. The butt-forward cant is less than seen on other holsters. It's not a straight drop but it's closer to vertical than most others. I guess I just got used to that early on and it's burned in my brain somewhere.
    The last feature is the relation of the holster to the belt line. I wouldn't call it a High-ride type but it just conceals better than others for me.

I've heard others criticize Don Hume for their "cheap" finish and hard leather but I've never had an issue with their quality. In fact, my Don Hume gear has held up to a LOT of abuse. They do take some time to break in.

When it come to gear, everyone has their favorites. I guess I'm no different.

Boolit Master
    I have used a Don Hume vertical shoulder rig for a 1911 Gov't model and found it well made and as comfortable to wear as can be expected with a full size heavy weapon.

Boolit Master

'Nother 'Old School' here. Like P&P, I've got a fair-sized storage box full of holsters but, for my 1911s, have never found anything that quite equals my old Bianchi 'Askins Avenger' for comfort and accessibility. Yeah, I've got wear a jacket or overshirt for 'legal' concealment but that's something I can live with.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Try two footlockers full of miscellaneous leather! Bianchi, Safariland, Hume, Galco, and more...mostly good stuff. It's just like having a box full of mechanic's tools, no one holster will be perfectly suited to every task for every occasion. But I believe that every pistolero will, over time and experience, develop a fondness for one or two above the others. Myself, I've never warmed up to the synthetic holsters and still prefer leather, no matter how minimal the holster. Weather and type of clothing have a lot to do with choices, as does the choice of weapon.
    The evolution of metal finishes and use of polymer has also changed the game somewhat, as the size, shape and design of holsters used to take into consideration protection of the pistol/revolver's finish; but now that the finishes are more durable the holster designs can be more toward minimal coverage and faster access. I presently use this one for about 85% of my carry situations. It is inexpensive, but good. Can be worn outside the belt, inside the belt, inside the waistband, fast on the draw.
    Attachment 206978

I love my Bianchi Shadow for carry but holsters like these for hunting and farming.
    Ballester.45 in an Alamo, Smith 67 in a tooled Hunter, and Ruger P97 in a modified N frame unknown make. I don't use synthetic holsters because I don't like them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    I'm OK with synthetic holsters for some applications but I've yet to find a concealable one that is also secure.
    For some open carry situations the Safariland models are pretty good but they're nearly impossible to conceal without a parka.

I still use leather gear for about 98% of my gun gear needs.

I have an old S&W (undoubtedly really a G&G) pancake holster for a 3" K-frame that I've had for 30 years and it was well used when I got it. Some things just work.

Boolit Master
    Simply Rugged check them out.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master
    I lost all of my holsters to Hurricane Harvey, so now I get to replace them all. I plan to not make the same mistakes twice, knowing things now that I didn't when I purchased them. Waiting on two holsters from Mike 'Doc' Barranti, and one from Simply Rugged. Still have to decide on, and fund, many others. I still have one Kydex holster, that is with the G26 that it holds. I bought it as an interim measure, and it WILL be replaced with leather ASAP! Fortunately I've got time to replace the leather gear that I lost to the storm while I am overseas.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    After years of experiments and a big box of holsters. I'm back to leather. I make my own and no I don't make any for sale, been down that road I ain't got time.

Boolit Grand Master
    I make my own as well, and leather works for me. Plastic has some utility if you have to carry in a high humidity area, but for most of us, leather is more attractive and just as functional.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Leather is definitely more attractive, but for lots of uses Kydex is the way to go. If you are drawing your gun a lot, like in a Class, you can't beat Kydex. Really fond of Bladetech. I have Kydex Holsters for all my Glocks. I also have some Sticky Holsters for some of my guns as well as Fabric Holsters which would be my first choice in a SHTF situation.

That said, all my big Revolvers have nice Mernickle Leather Holsters and I love them.

I have a Kydex Holster for my S&W 696 on a gun belt for shooting IDPA. Presentation is the same everytime because the Kydex doesn't change shape. But I have a Mernickle Leather Thumb Break Holster for that gun for carry.

It depends on what you are doing with the gun and nothing will cover every application well. Thus you really need more than one option. Kind of like Golf Clubs.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Leather forever. I made my last a while back.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    I like Mernickle and exodus gun leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk