Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW with speedloaders?

Boolit Master

I pretty much rejected speedloaders as bulky, awkward things that are uncomfortable to sit on, choosing instead to carry two speed strips, and operate on the attitude that (A.) I'm packing 15 hits, not insurance for misses, (B.) our forbears got to shoot once before going to swords, so we really have nothing to whine about with five, and (C.) gunfights are as much about TIME than anything else - if you don't have time to solve the problem with what's in the gun, you're probably going to have trouble solving it with what's in your pocket.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    I carry along a Safariland Type I speedloader in one pocket. I do not envision being able to reload with it while actively engaged by a bad guy. Instead, I envision being able to reload with it during a lull in the action, or when the action is over.
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I can't help with your question much, as I don't everyday carry. I do have a request for ya since ya ordered the 5Star speedloaders...

Will they work "speedily" with the grips on the LCR without rubbing on the grips? (<if you are using a stock grip set)

I put a set of Pachmyr grips on the one I got for the missus since she wanted the third finger slot for her pinkie finger to help her in holding the revolver. ( she has carpal issues) I wanted it for my bigger hands as I don't like the original two finger grips.

I bought a round HKS speedloader for it, for her & it works, but it is a tight fit past the grips. I realize I could put the old grip on to test, but since we don't like the old original ones it would not matter. That speedloader also fits a Charter Arms 38SP I have with the same type issue. The speedloader hangs up a bit on the grip.

So, I am going to get some of the Bianchi strips for her. ( I had a couple , but believe it or not, after 30 years they have deteriorated to where they are strips of 2,2 & 1 & 1. Or something like that.
    LOL I threw the pieces away... But at that length of time they are worth the buy...

Anyway, if you get the 5star speedloaders , please post on how they work for ya on that pistol. I would be thankful for it.

G'Luck in your getting what ya seek!
    I got the 5Stars today, wow are they nicely made, I’m impressed! They fit right into the cylinder and you can freely spin the cylinder with the loader in it. No way the HKS would do that!
    I’ve also come across these, https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/s...ader-case.html
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmxSYVHKRFQ
    Nice, but I’m not sure $40 nice?
    I’m saving up for a MidwayUSA order, I’ll probably try the Safariland split six as a start. Be better if I could find it in brown, but for the price I’ll deal!
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    I got the 5Stars today, wow are they nicely made, I’m impressed! They fit right into the cylinder and you can freely spin the cylinder with the loader in it. No way the HKS would do that!
    I’ve also come across these, https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/s...ader-case.html
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmxSYVHKRFQ
    Nice, but I’m not sure $40 nice?
    I’m saving up for a MidwayUSA order, I’ll probably try the Safariland split six as a start. Be better if I could find it in brown, but for the price I’ll deal!
    Thanks! I appreciate your remembering to tell em about them!

Time for me to do a little shopping for the Mrs. for Christmas.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

No problem, as I said I wasn’t sure myself, but they do everything as advertised.
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Banned
    As a dedicated revolver dude, I can say that I gave up on HKS loaders and switched to Safariland many years ago.

HOWEVER, that being said, I'm completely with Outpost75 concerning the small need for a reload in most civilian deadly force encounters.

I will also say that the major drawback to a speedloader for concealed carry is the fact that the speedloader must be the same size as the gun's cylinder. The chief advantage of a Speedstrip is the fact that it is flat. It is slower to use than a speedloader but we've already conceded that the odds of needing a reload are exceedingly slim. So not much is lost with a speedstrip as a CCW reload. The speedstrip carries nicely in the watch pocket of a pair of jeans and assuming you are right handed, puts the speedstrip exactly where it needs to be.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 11-02-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I carry my S&W 637 frequently, my reload is carried in a speed strip. As with every other pocket gun, this little snub is a compromise in many ways. I use the speed strip because it carries flat and holds one extra round. The 637 does have some advantages over autos of similar size. Double or single action, heavy for caliber boolit (I use Lyman wadcutters), very accurate for it's size, can be fired with the muzzle pressed against the target.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    I only place 5 rounds in a speedstrip even though it can hold six. It gives you a little more to hold onto.

Boolit Master

Check out TK Customs, they mill your Ruger or S&W to take moon clips. If I was still kicking doors and carried a wheel, i'd go that route with a seed strip for top offsmon the go.

I’ve toyed with the moon clip idea, even have the means to make them and machine the cylinder myself. But I don’t see being able to carry them any easier than a speed loader?
    As I’ve said, I do have, and carry speed strips, and I don’t fancy myself as some super action movie hero loading while either standing and getting shot at or ducking for cover and reloading to return fire.
    I was merely asking for out of the box ideas to carry an easily accessible speed loader because with my failing health it’s much easier for me than using a speed strip. Nothing more.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have carried the Safariland Split six and recommend them for casual carry. A Colt cobra in an IWB holster and a Safariland Mk I speed loader in a split six conceal well under a loose shirt worn out side the belt.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    Check out TK Customs, they mill your Ruger or S&W to take moon clips. If I was still kicking doors and carried a wheel, i'd go that route with a seed strip for top offsmon the go.
    This can be a point of contention, so apologies up front if this rubs someone the wrong way.

I have some experience with moon clips and there's no doubt they are fast in terms of a revolver reload. For use in competition or just playing around, they are great.
    However, A bent moon clip will tie up a gun. (voice of experience here) The problem isn't with the moon clip in the gun, that one is well protected. The problem is with the spare moon clip. A loaded moon clip carried loose in a pocket can become bent. A spare moon clip in some type of carrier is probably a little better but in the real world, things get beat up.

Now, we've already established that the odds of even needing to reload are very slim, so maybe the combination of needing to reload and having a damaged moon clip are too slim to worry about. I'd rather just use a speedstrip and not even deal with it.

The other issue with a full moon clip is just like a speedloader, it must be roughly the same diameter as the gun's cylinder, where a speedstrip is flat and therefore a lot easier to conceal.

Not trying to be argumentative here so if I ruffled any feathers, please accept my apology.

Boolit Master

I wish I had not opened this thread. It's going to cost me.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Finster101 - You're not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    This can be a point of contention, so apologies up front if this rubs someone the wrong way.

I have some experience with moon clips and there's no doubt they are fast in terms of a revolver reload. For use in competition or just playing around, they are great.
    However, A bent moon clip will tie up a gun. (voice of experience here) The problem isn't with the moon clip in the gun, that one is well protected. The problem is with the spare moon clip. A loaded moon clip carried loose in a pocket can become bent. A spare moon clip in some type of carrier is probably a little better but in the real world, things get beat up.

Now, we've already established that the odds of even needing to reload are very slim, so maybe the combination of needing to reload and having a damaged moon clip are too slim to worry about. I'd rather just use a speedstrip and not even deal with it.

The other issue with a full moon clip is just like a speedloader, it must be roughly the same diameter as the gun's cylinder, where a speedstrip is flat and therefore a lot easier to conceal.

Not trying to be argumentative here so if I ruffled any feathers, please accept my apology.
    I’ve heard the same, on many other boards and blogs, about the bent moon clips. The general consensus has been they are great for competition, but VERY few people would be willing to carry them in a self defense application. No offense taken there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I wish I had not opened this thread. It's going to cost me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Finster101 - You're not the only one.
    May I ask what you are considering purchasing? I’m just curious as I haven’t made a solid choice yet. One nice thing about being broke, you have time to research before making a purchase!

Boolit Master
    I am going to get at least 4 more Bianchi speed strips. I have had them before as I said & they lasted quite a long time. I am also going to get at least one, if not 2 of those 5Stars for the missus for Christmas. I think it will make a nice gift for her anyway.

And she uses a purse, so it should not matter about any "printing" issues.

Likely gonna sell or Pay It Fwd, that HKS I just bought. It will work, but IMO, not well enough without relieving the left grip & I do not want to do that.

Even though this is not my topic, I want to thank those who offered their experiences and suggestions!

And of course, Thanks to sawinredneck for starting the topic in the first place, & for the review & LCR "fit" tests with the 5star speedloaders.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

You are most welcome and I’m sure your wife will love the 5Stars! I will suggest getting them anodized, I think this will help in hardening them up a little. My bare ones are a bit soft imo and I need to send an email suggesting they offer an HAIII anodizing option to really harden them.
    I also just PID’d my HKS. A neighbor has an SP101 and it worked perfectly on it with no clearance issues.

Boolit Master

Late to the party, but I wanted to add something about carrying speed strips.........I use the 8 round ones and load the five for my snubbies in a way that it doesn’t matter which end I grab, there is enough to hold on to and use.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Banned
    The 6 round speedstrip with 5 rounds loaded fits nicely in the watch pocket of blue jeans and if you're right handed, puts the reload on the correct side.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Some very good ideas here. One thing is for sure, the gun you have with you always beats the gun you left at home because it was too big and/or uncomfortable to carry. For me, the most comfortable guns to carry are mid-size .380's (Glock 42, Colt Mustang and clones) and snubnose revolvers. I can carry one of these in the pocket, IWB, or on the ankle all day long with perfect comfort. I practice with these guns more than any others because I pretty much always have one of them on me and can shoot them as well if not better than most full size handguns. Today i was wearing a little extra clothing and so decided to carry my Glock 26 in a Safariland paddle holster. Even though the 26 is a subcompact it feels much more bulky than my smaller guns and is more of a pain to carry. I shoot the 26 well and like it, but it is not my first, second, or even third favorite carry gun.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast