Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW with speedloaders?

CCW with speedloaders?

As I’m finding myself carrying my LCR a lot more frequently, it’s amazing what good holsters can do! I’m wanting to be able to reload in a decent time if needed. I’ve got the Bianchi speed strips and they are great, to a point, and I’ve resigned myself that the HKS just isn’t going to cut it in a stressful situation, I broke down and ordered two of the 5star speedloaders. Cooler weather I can carry the speedloaders, slim summertime I can fall back on the speed strips if I can’t find something slim.
    So how do you CCW speedloaders? I’ll go jacket pocket carry for now, but would like a decently priced pouch that actually fits them, not too big, not too small, you know. I’ve looked at the 5star offerings, liked the kydex until I read the reviews, and the other “thing” is just butt ugly and overpriced imo! The others seem to be a “one size fits all” type, so so, but never going to be great for anything and will be bulky.
    Pants pocket carry isn’t an option, I EDC too much **** to reliably be able to fish one out.
    So other options please?
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master
    I can't help with your question much, as I don't everyday carry. I do have a request for ya since ya ordered the 5Star speedloaders...

Will they work "speedily" with the grips on the LCR without rubbing on the grips? (<if you are using a stock grip set)

I put a set of Pachmyr grips on the one I got for the missus since she wanted the third finger slot for her pinkie finger to help her in holding the revolver. ( she has carpal issues) I wanted it for my bigger hands as I don't like the original two finger grips.

I bought a round HKS speedloader for it, for her & it works, but it is a tight fit past the grips. I realize I could put the old grip on to test, but since we don't like the old original ones it would not matter. That speedloader also fits a Charter Arms 38SP I have with the same type issue. The speedloader hangs up a bit on the grip.

So, I am going to get some of the Bianchi strips for her. ( I had a couple , but believe it or not, after 30 years they have deteriorated to where they are strips of 2,2 & 1 & 1. Or something like that.
    LOL I threw the pieces away... But at that length of time they are worth the buy...

Anyway, if you get the 5star speedloaders , please post on how they work for ya on that pistol. I would be thankful for it.

G'Luck in your getting what ya seek!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I also have the HKS, I know exactly what you speak of, IT SUCKS! (On this gun.) The videos and reading I’ve done, these are supposed to work perfectly. Like you, I’m sceptical as well! I’ll gladly report back for you, and I’m sure others, on how they work. I’m hopeful they work perfectly.
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master

d ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 08:12 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

No, it doesn’t lol! I may as well carry my Delta Elite, with two mags, AND the LCR. Empty the LCR, drop it for a “New York speedloader” and grab the Delta! That won’t get heavy ever, lol!
    As much as I like my LCR, I don’t think I could bring myself to buy another one. My chambers are to spec, but it suffers from the sticky .357mag fired cases. I’ve lapped and honed them, need to shoot it more to see if that fixed it, but knowing I’m not the only one with this issue doesn’t instill the greatest of confidence with it.
    Sad as it sounds, I’d probably buy a Tarus next as a backup/possible keeper.

Boolit Master

g!
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 08:11 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master
    All speedloaders suck if you do not relieve the grips so the rounds drop in freely.

So modified, my HKS speedloaders work perfectly and I highly recommend them. Rentention of rounds is somewhat better than alternative types.

Dedicate a single hip pocket to the speedloader. Put no other stuff in there. Belt carry of speedloaders is an option but it "prints" more than the revolver itself, so it is hip pocket for me. Decide if reloading the revolver is more important than managing the useless stuff you have in your pockets. It is for me. I carry two knives keys and a wallet and always have a pocket for the speedloader only.
    Last edited by 35remington; 10-30-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

The answer is... PRACTICE! I carried a revolver for many years and first started out trying quick reloading from belt slide. Two rounds at a time hours and hours and quick reloads were natural. Same with speedloaders, we started with Safariland IIRR and then went to HKS style, each needed many hours of practice to get the hang of them. Say 10,000 reps and you will reload like a pro even when stressed out it becomes muscle memory.

There is no easy road to perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    All speedloaders suck if you do not relieve the grips so the rounds drop in freely.

So modified, my HKS speedloaders work perfectly and I highly recommend them. Rentention of rounds is somewhat better than alternative types.

Dedicate a single hip pocket to the speedloader. Put no other stuff in there. Belt carry of speedloaders is an option but it "prints" more than the revolver itself, so it is hip pocket for me. Decide if reloading the revolver is more important than managing the useless stuff you have in your pockets. It is for me. I carry two knives keys and a wallet and always have a pocket for the speedloader only.
    I’ll disagree for now. The 5Star’s are relieved and thined to work with the LCR. Granted, I don’t have them in hand to verify this, but the videos certainly show them working well, from numerous prejudiced people.
    My EDC items are not “useless” to me by any means! One pocket contains my wallet, car keys, change and fingernail clippers. The other my HDS flashlight and a Leatherman, both of which are used almost daily as well as the flashlight compliments the handgun! I live on being able to fix things others can’t, and often do it with just what’s in my pockets, so I assure you, if I don’t need it, I don’t carry it!

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    The answer is... PRACTICE! I carried a revolver for many years and first started out trying quick reloading from belt slide. Two rounds at a time hours and hours and quick reloads were natural. Same with speedloaders, we started with Safariland IIRR and then went to HKS style, each needed many hours of practice to get the hang of them. Say 10,000 reps and you will reload like a pro even when stressed out it becomes muscle memory.

There is no easy road to perfection.
    I’m fairly quick with the speed strips, but I can see being under duress things can and will happen! Given the option of making 2-3 moves to a loaded gun vs 5-6 steps to get to a loaded gun (speedstrip) I’ll take the lesser moves every time! Sorry, but in a hurried stressful situation, the simpler you can make things, the better, every time!
    I’m not bashing speedstrips, they do work, but given the options, I’ll take fast and easy all day!

Boolit Master
    I use the Safariland Comp 1's for my J-Frame and prefer those over the HKS. I carry 2 in my right dropleg pocket stacked together with a silicone rubber band holding them together. Might not be the fastest way but I'm compromising for the sake of EDC comfort.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I would like to see some actual statistics as to how many times a civilian CCW actually ever needed to reload.

Most of this is pure mall ninja mental masturbation from guys who make their living teaching classes, many of whom have no street cred... Undercover cops, sure, but if you don't go places where you shouldn't, don't do stupid things and maintain situational awareness, VERY unlikely!

A very few people live in high risk neighborhoods, willingly put themselves in danger by going places where stupid people congregate and do stupid things...

But for most of us the risk of engaging multiple targets in the Food Lion, Cosco or Walmart parking lot highly unlikely.

If you are genuinely concerned that five shots in your revolver isn't enough, then:

Carry a second revolver, the fastest reload is a New York Reload...
    But having a spare speed strip is a viable choice.

But if you are going to worry about it, then rethink your revolver choice and carry something else...
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-30-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

What Outpost said...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post

+1

I've used speed loaders since the mid '70s on numerous revolvers of various makes. I prefer the HKS. When in practice I could do a 1 to 1 1/2 second reload with them on my service revolver from the duty belt. The grips of many revolvers most often need modification. The proper technique of using the HKS or any other speed loader is necessary. I haven't seen it taught in a long while.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Lol.

Lose the fingernail clippers!

I can't think of a less worthwhile item to carry than that!

Low capacity guns justify carrying extra ammo at some point. Since my snubby eliminates pests of the four legged kind extra ammo is handy. If you think a reload is important either put up with the bulk of a belt mounted speedloader or put your must have tools on your belt.

Clip your nails at home. Use the Leatherman to cut stuff.

A speedloader on a belt says you are carrying a gun if it is seen. A speedloader in your pocket does not. Your choice.

If carried in a pocket nothing else should be in that pocket besides the ammo loading device.

My HKS goes in my right hip pocket where I regularly sit on it with no ill effect. Speed strips are more comfortable but slower, but are better to top off the gun when woods walking and a round is spent on a pest.

By my count you have a pocket left over. Keys and coins in one pocket, wallet and tools in the other two. Jeans have four. There is the speedloader receptacle. That is how I do it.
    Last edited by 35remington; 10-30-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Ok, I guess some education needs to be spread. Back in my “heyday” I carried a Glock 19 on my person and had a Cobray Mac11 with a 35rnd mag loaded, and a loaded Colt Annaconda as backups in the truck. I’ve “been there, done that” in the realm of being in stupid places at stupid times! I’ve worked security at the local bar the night the El Forstnerous showed up. I was carrying my Delta Elite and two extra mags for that event, the LCR wasn’t even a consideration!
    I’m old and broken now, I make better choices and am more aware of my environment than many care to give me credit for. Just because I’m quiet doesn’t mean I’m not observant!
    Nowdays I make better choices and watch what I’m getting into carefully, and honestly thought five rounds of .357mag should be plenty to get me out of pretty much any situation I’d be in. But the quickly changing political environment has really made me question my choice!
    If I could dump the LCR and get something of a reasonable caliber auto, I’d probably be all over it right now, but I don’t see that as a realistic option, and I’m of limited funds, so I’m trying to make the best of what I already have. I hope to never have to fire the damn thing, much less have to reload it! But if I do, have to reload it, I’d rather make it as easy as possible.
    So, now that everyone has had the chance to tell me how much of an idiot I am for my weapon choice, and stupidly thinking I may end up in a situation where I may need to reload, quickly and under duress. Can we please answer the original question about how to carry a speedloader?
    Feel free to start another thread extolling the merits of my ignorance on so many levels, but for now, I’d like to know a decent way to carry a god damned speedloader without the peanut gallery, that knows nothing of my situation, interjecting on why I’m a *******!

Boolit Master
    In warm weather, I wear a t-shirt, with a solid navy-blue "BDU" shirt over it, kinda like a jacket. I keep a magazine in each pocket, with NOTHING ELSE. I'd think it'd work with HKS speed-loaders, at least as well.

I agree with what Outpost75 said, except that a defender gets NO vote as to how many adversaries he will face and erring on the side of caution, even to excess, need not be troublesome. The advice about your considering the use of an automatic seems prudent to ME.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

In a pocket. You obviously have some sort of shirt or jacket that conceals the handgun so use one with a pocket in the right place for quick easy access. I don't think anyone inferred you were an idiot for carrying a revolver, I certainly didn't as I many times carry one.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy

I carry speed struts in my front pocket. Speed liaders, when I carry them, also front pocket. I dress like Emmit Kelly anyhow , so appearance does not enter into my concerns FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    In a pocket. You obviously have some sort of shirt or jacket that conceals the handgun so use one with a pocket in the right place for quick easy access. I don't think anyone inferred you were an idiot for carrying a revolver, I certainly didn't as I many times carry one.
    Winter/cool weather, I’m wearing a flannel jacket, easy to bury most anything. Warmer climes I’m in a pocket-T in jeans or shorts. The shirt covers the gun well and the T-pocket is full of my evil cigarette’s, yes, I’m a very bad man, but selective on what I’m willing to carrry!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast