Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: 45 Colt - Trail Boss and Lee 255-RF

Boolit Man

45 Colt - Trail Boss and Lee 255-RF

Messing around with Trail Boss for the first time. Hodgdon say 250 gr. 4.5-5.8 gr. @ 1.600" but doesn't specify the bullet brand or type. Using the Lee 255-RF at 1.555" and using the "fill to the bullet base and reduce 30%" trick gives me very different numbers. I get 5.6-8 gr. making my starting load nearly their max. Who else uses this specific bullet with TB and can offer advise? The only hard and fast rule with TB seems to be no compression! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FlyfishermanMike View Post
    Messing around with Trail Boss for the first time. Hodgdon say 250 gr. 4.5-5.8 gr. @ 1.600" but doesn't specify the bullet brand or type. Using the Lee 255-RF at 1.555" and using the "fill to the bullet base and reduce 30%" trick gives me very different numbers. I get 5.6-8 gr. making my starting load nearly their max. Who else uses this specific bullet with TB and can offer advise? The only hard and fast rule with TB seems to be no compression! Thanks!

Trail Boss has become my favorite powder for "fun" shooting in 45 colt and 44mag. Using the same bullet you describe (mine drop around 260gr.) using 6gr. of TB runs right at 800fps and is a "one hander". I've let a few friends shoot some of these and they all said the same thing. "Man those are fun to shoot, load me up some of those." You get the same from the 44mag, just plain fun to shoot.
    The load data can be confusing from Hodgdon. They give you a 5.8gr max in the 45 colt with a 250/255gr bullet, then they go on to say you can safely load up to the base of the bullet and not be an over charge (as mentioned, no compression). I don't recall exactly but IIRC to the base of the Lee 255gr bullet I could get over 7gr. of TB. Not advocating anything for anyone else, but I've probably shot at least a couple 1000 with that load (6gr). The only downside to TB is the cost, it's a bit expensive for a 9oz bottle (around 50 cents an OUNCE more than most other powders, but if bought in 5lb containers it comes out about the same as others per ounce.

Boolit Buddy
    Actually you may safely compress Trail Boss and there are some loads Hodgdon suggests doing so. Just don't crush the donuts. It is tedious but basically involves tapping the case and poking the powder to make them settle more uniform.
    Benny

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tsubaki View Post
    Actually you may safely compress Trail Boss and there are some loads Hodgdon suggests doing so. Just don't crush the donuts. It is tedious but basically involves tapping the case and poking the powder to make them settle more uniform.
    Not so according to Hodgdon and why we should never use load data for forums without first verifying with other sources. Please show published info to support your assertion that it is safe to compress Trail Boss. According to Hodgdon it is a 3 step process. (I have the .pdf printed in my load book but can't quickly find it online).

1. Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. THIS IS YOUR MAXIMUM LOAD. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use.

2. Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7) and that is your starting load.

3. Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate reduced load. Once found, the fun begins.

This is the info for both pistol and rifle.

The data in the OP is for "non Ruger. Freedom Arms, TC firearms" There is no data for the Ruger type actions using 250gr bullets so you would revert to the 3 step process outlined above for 'modern firearms.' So depending on what firearm you are loading for will determine what is appropriate for you.
    Last edited by Bzcraig; 10-31-2017 at 12:43 AM.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I like Trail Boss in my 44 mag RH. Really fun for target/plinking.

I had a 240gn cast boolit with 7gn of Trail Boss. It's amazing how light they are when your used to full house magnum rounds.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    The data in the OP is for "non Ruger. Freedom Arms, TC firearms" There is no data for the Ruger type actions using 250gr bullets so you would revert to the 3 step process outlined above for 'modern firearms.' So depending on what firearm you are loading for will determine what is appropriate for you.
    Thanks, that helps clear things up. This is for a Ruger Blackhawk so I'm going to follow the 3 step process and shoot for 6-7 grs.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Not so according to Hodgdon and why we should never use load data for forums without first verifying with other sources.
    I know, I know.
    But here are just a few from Hodgdon.
    Benny

Boolit Master

I know, I know.
    But here are just a few from Hodgdon.
    Sure enough! I apologise and stand corrected. Have you seen any compressed data for pistol or just rifle?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    I've only tested using it in 223, 30/06 and 300AAC, so I haven't looked at any other data using it.

I am currently using the Lee 452-255-RF powder coated with 2400 in three 45colt firearms, just never got around to playing with Trail Boss for them. They are actually weighing in at 262gr.
    Last edited by tsubaki; 10-31-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    Benny

Boolit Man
    I am currently using the Lee 452-255-RF powder coated with 2400 in three 45colt firearms, just never got around to playing with Trail Boss for them. They are actually weighing in at 262gr.
    That about what mine weigh. Curious what you're 2400 load is. That's my next load. Somewhere around 18 gr?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyfishermanMike View Post
    That about what mine weigh. Curious what you're 2400 load is. That's my next load. Somewhere around 18 gr?
    Yep, 18.0gr.
    COAL 1.565"
    Getting 1510fps in the 24" barrel, 1130fps in the 6 1/2" barrel and 900fps in the 2 1/2" barrel.
    Benny

Boolit Master
    I have tried to do some forensic reloading in 45 Colt. My cousin has a Ruger Vaquero 5 1/2" with fixed sights, and I offered to reload some 45 Colt for him as the factory ammo appears to deviate from unobtanium to astronomical in price. So, he was shooting ULTRAMAX 45 Colt ammo with a round nose flat point bullet and claims it is dead on, on a gong at 50 yards and shoots to point of aim at 25 yards. I googled ULTRAMAX and they claim it runs at 730 fps. I and trying to use powder that I don't reload much with due to the same market forces. I either use Bullseye or Unique for the main pistol cartridges I load - 32S&WLong, 38 Special, and 44 Special, but I have a couple of pounds of 231/HP38 and tried to recreate the same velocity of 730 fps with it. No, it just does not work at that speed in a voluminous 45 Colt case. So, I also have a pound of Trail Boss which might not be as position sensitive as WIN231/HP-38 (I don't want to tell my cousin to tilt the barrel up first, every time he fires it).

I have cast about on the internet for Trail Boss loads for 255 grain Keith type .453 bullets from Montana Bullet Company I scrounged up on a trade. It appears that loads from 5.8 grains of Trail Boss to a max of 6 grains should put me in the right spot. Am I on the right track?
    Britons shall never be slaves.

My favorite Trail Boss load is 5.8gr with a Lee cast 255gr bullet for an average of 720fps out of a Beretta Stampede (7 1/2" BBL). Very accurate and fun to shoot. I also use 6.2gr with a Lee 230gr round nose bullet in another .45; however, I have not verified its speed. Both loads shoot POA and neither is "compressed".

Boolit Master
    I think I will start at 5.8 grains, then 5.9 grains, and then 6 grains of Trail Boss in 3 round increments - chrono them and see how it works. I am shooting a 10" TC Contender in 45 Colt, but bored out to accept 410 shells; so the velocity should be close to my cousin's 5 1/2" Vaquero. BTW another cousin gave me three MTM boxes of 45 Colt brass = 150.
    Britons shall never be slaves.