RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavier boolits in the 44-40 sixgun

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.

Heavier boolits in the 44-40 sixgun

I'm beginning to load a few rounds for my 44-40 and I find that I have a LOT more boolits already cast in the 250-260gr range that are sized and lubed and ready. Most of the load data for the 44-40 appears to center on the 200-205gr boolits though.
    Anybody shooting the heavier ones in their sixguns (Italian clones) and using Unique?

I'm going to get out and cast a bunch of 200grainers later, but it's a shame to sit here and look at all these heavy boolits lying around. I had cast them because I had a 44 magnum briefly (about a week).... but Mom confiscated that for her coyote and raccoon shootin' and so now I don't use 44 boolits anymore. She doesn't live near me and she buys Zero bullets to shoot. (Don't feel bad, she did swap me her 1894C for the .44 Bisley SBH) She's 72, but she likes a big gun.

So...... who's shooting the heavies? Or should I just get busy and cast new ones?

Thanks from a noob in the 44-40 arena.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

I use 8.5 gr under a Lyman 429360 SWC (245 gr). It's comfortable out of my Ruger Vaquero. At 9 gr ejection gets hard, not from psi but from the case taper and thin cases. I would consider 8.5 gr as max anyway in a Colt copy Uberti. Probably 7.5 or 8 gr with your heavier bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks. I may stick to 6.5 or maybe 7 and stay in the cowboy range. 'No need to torture my .44-40s til I get some 200s cast up. But it's good to know they will shoot those just fine.

Boolit Master
    Old reloading manuel
    I have shows 429383 with 7.0 - 9.3 grs unique and 429421 with 7.0-9.1 max, have shot many 250 gr in old ruger vaquero. Cylinder function was fine with longer oal in the ruger

Boolit Master
    You may want to start closer to 6.0/Unique with 250 - 260 gr. projectiles. The neck on the .44-40 all but guarantees the heavier bullets will protrude into and reduce the usual case volume. I'd much prefer that you burn up a little extra propellant and time to approach a good load safely, than start your work-up with a charge weight that might be closer to max than any of us realizes.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

Here are the loaded 44-40s with 429360 bullets in the Uberti cylinder. They just fit with an oal of 1.652".

Attachment 206986
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

My old fun load was the 240gr Lee TLswc over 6 grs of Unique from a Rossi lever action. It would kill a called up turkey as well.

Boolit Master

Charlie Askins used 240gr handloads in his 44-40 New Service. wrote it down in a book........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    My 44-40 shoots .427s, and ,y .44sp is .429s, you might take this into consideration when shooting the .44 sp out of the .44-40. I know that several guys do it, but that is because the manufacturer made their .44-40 with a .44sp barrel.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Grand Master

I missed the post on shooting 44 SPLs out of 44-40s?

Both the 429360 (245 gr) and the Lee SWC (240 gr) are seated to the bottom of the 44-40 case neck and sized .430 and .429 which fits the Vaquero throats.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    I haven't tried 240-260 grainers (yet) in my Uberti Cattleman, though I think the 1-16" twist rate in the barrel would likely support the bullet length and stabilize it downrange. In my '73 Winchester and its 1-38" twist.......I have my doubts.

I haven't explored the possibilities because SAECO #446 (200 grain flatnose) shoots so darn well in both firearms.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Larry,
    The op stated that he cast them for his .44mag, which the wife took from him, so I assumed that he cast .429s for it, and that was what he was wanting to use.............I could be wrong.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Grand Master

It arrived today!!! It's a Navy Arms Uberti, and apparently the throats are .430, because these bullets mic .4295 and I can push them on through with finger pressure.
    These are dummies, just crimped in the groove to check the fit. I haven't made up any with any particular loads yet.

Last edited by Beagle333; 11-03-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    THAT is a BEAUTY.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

That's one sweet looking SA......
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Beagle333, Is that Uberti highly polished stainless or nickel plated?
    Rule 303

Boolit Grand Master

It's nickel. And a pretty darn good job, based on the other nickel guns I have. I can't find flaw with it. At least, it was sold as a nickel gun, but I haven't been able to find any places that aren't nickel, such as inside the frame or trigger slot or hammer channel or anywhere that I can see, but I haven't had an opportunity to have it apart yet.
    I did load it up today with some of the 250gr bullets and 6.3gr of Unique and it sure goes bang! I was just shooting at some sticks in the woods, but I really like the feel of it. Maybe I'll do some targets tomorrow.

Chuck; I use the 245gr Noe 429421 over 5.5gr of TiteGroup out of my Ruger Vaq. Gp Very pretty SA you have there! Enjoy

Boolit Master
    You got the right model there Beagle333. I am acquiring black powder frame style Colt's with the base pin held by the screw rather than the spring loaded latch. I'm tired of that weak point in a single action. I'm starting to sell my spring loaded models. Colt's originally wanted the spring loaded latch in 1873, the Army nix'd the design on their guns.

Boolit Grand Master

This is my first one with the screw. I've never had a spring model fail, but maybe I've been lucky. I don't really have a preference yet toward that part of the design. Maybe this one will sway me to be a favorite. Day 4 and I'm still pretty happy with it. I think I'm going to like the 44-40.
    I get a lot of warnings from people to watch for losing that screw, but I've shot open-top revolvers for a long time now, so it's old habit to keep a watch on all screws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast