RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: First Squirrel with the Benji 392

First Squirrel with the Benji 392

Got my first with my 392 today. The woods are still thick with leaves here making it hard to get a clear shot. I finally had to put my set 6 power leupold back on to make it happen.

The squirrels are really "out and about" now as we have a good acorn crop here this year. I had a couple of shots when i first walked into the woods, but clipped some small limb tips before the pellet could get there....clean misses.

I did some spot and stalk hunting, but they were moving from tree to tree so fast it was very hard to close the gap to get a shot.I finally got one to sit still long enough to close the gap and give me a shot at about 25 yds.
    The .22 piranha pellet caught her just under and just behind the eye, and she dropped like a rock.

Yeah, i'm hooked for sure on airgun hunting now! I took a couple of pic's and will try to post later.
    I had just as much fun on this hunt as when i was a kid...brought back a lot of good memories.
    Lol, gave me a lot of confidence in my 392 also.

Good to hear you scored a squirrel and enjoyed your hunt . I been thinning some starlings lately with my 1740 . While shooting my spinners at about 12 yards . There is a tree with a snag on the top that gets the first morning sun and you guessed it 12 yards from me . All I have to do is set in my chair and look to my left as I load each pellet and when they land I swivel around and let them have it . So I guess I would call it re new able target shooting not hunting .Marvin

Boolit Master

I live in a state that has hunting seasons for antelope, whitetail and mule deer, elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, moose, plus predators.
    Yet I want to go squirrel hunting, The thought of creeping though the woods with a rifle, shooting a squirrel.
    Then you put him in your pack and go looking for another one!
    Just seems pretty cool. Hunting here seem like walking the good friend, rifle. You get a shot or two then a heck of a lot of work.
    Glad to read of your hunt.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Thanks guys,

Ate supper and cleaned the squirrel. Now i'm just sitting and enjoying the memory of a nice late afternoon in the woods.

Clodhopper, if you ever get down in my territory, i could put you on a ton of squirrel hunting lol.
    I love big game hunting, but the small game hunting does offer a lot of fun and usually fast action. Doing it with the air gun just adds to the challenge.

Clodhopper I grew up in the NW part of Minnesota. And Granda on mom's side was an old southern gentlemen. I was the only guy I knew in the county who hunted squirrels.

Grandpa taught me to walk into a likely woods, find a comfortable spot with my back against a tree. And take a nap. If you were quiet enough, long enough there would be squirrels everywhere. If you were smart, you'd watch to see where their home tree was before shooting.

On a good setup you could often get 2-4 nice big fox squirrels in under an hour.

We ate a lot of squirrel and rabbit growing up. If I killed it and cleaned it mom would cook it and make it taste good. She was a big fan of cooking wild meat slow and wet till the meat falls off the bone. And she loved a good squirrel head.

Take a light shotgun, .22lr, or airgun and go find a patch of mature oaks close to a cornfield. Go take a walk, find a place to take that 20 min nap. You can do it.

Boolit Master
    Lots of squirrel here, but I don't shoot them because they are my walnut cleaning crew. I toss the walnuts still in husk down towards the back fence so my dog can chase them as they bounce along. The nuts pile up down there and after a while the furry tailed nut harvesters go to work carrying them away.

Never developed an appetite for squirrel and I like watching them at work.