WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Have A 9mm Shield That Will Group At 25?

Anybody Have A 9mm Shield That Will Group At 25?

I recently acquired a used 9mm Shield. It is in excellent condition, and functions perfectly. My only complaint is that I have yet to find any ammo that it will group smaller than about 8" at 25 yards. My Glock 19 is not a tack driver, but it will always do better than 4", and my wife's compact SIG P320 will generally beat 3". I'm wondering if that is just the way they are, or if I got one from the lower tail of the bell curve.

I realize these are not bullseye guns, I realize they are harder to shoot than a 1911, yada, yada, yada. I carry around my farm, and often have to shoot at a varmint which is farther away than 7 yards. I also like to shoot field pistol in the "Bordello" category. Eight inch groups simply are not good enough for that sort of shooting. This little cannon sort of appeals to me, and I hope some of you have had some experience making them shoot better that you would share with me.

Banned
    Mic your bullets and your bore.. Most 9mm made in the US are done with .357 tooling for some idiot reason and all commercial loads are .355...

I've had 3 of them in last year. All used and like new in case. All three came for elderly guys who
    bought them for house guns or CCW. They never got as far as complaining about accuracy, they
    couldn't rack the slides. This is main complaint on them. I couldn't shoot them with sights I did
    better just pointing. As far as function no problems were encountered. I didn't write the gun off
    as being inaccurate, I just figured it was me. The next one I get I will sandbag for group. I require
    a lot more accuracy than most of these type pistols are good for. Attachment 206904

My wife wanted to try a few new concealment type guns - we rented, borrowed several different guns - wife didn't like the shield and didn't shoot tight groups with it at half that distance - she did best with the Glock 43 then next best was the SIG 938 - with my Ruger MK2 she's 2 inch or less grouper at 50 ft on the rental range.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Mine does about 2-2.5 at 25 yards, BUT it won't do that with store bought ammo! The bore in mine measures .357 and to get good groups I use .358 boolets with a stiff load of Unique. This is the one chambering I heat treat boolets for! When I don't I get leading really bad.

Boolit Master
    While not a Shield, I have a Beretta 92fs also in 9mm. I tried just about all factory ammo out there and even with an adjustable rear sight I installed wouldn't group for beans. In desparation I slugged the barrel and yep it was .357. Just for kicks I bought some of the Remington 357 125 grain bullets which are intended for the 357 magnum. Loaded some up and the difference was like night and day. I actually slugged the barrel 3 times as I couldn't believe the numbers. Hard cast 9mm bullets leaded like crazy. Frank

Boolit Master

Mine will do right at 2 inches at 25 yards with Federal BPLE +P+ 9mm.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

Is yours the Performance Center version? Because I bought one of those and it came with a messed up barrel. I sent it back and they took two months to send it back with a less messed up barrel that still had dings in the crown and wouldn't group better than 8" at 25yds. At the time, no one made replacement barrels for it and S&W wouldn't take it back, so I sold it to an old guy that said he didn't care as long as it could group man size or better at 7yds. Whatever...

I replaced it with an XDS that will do 2" or better at 25yds despite the worse trigger and ergonomics. I loved the Shield in the hand and the trigger was great. S&W just seems to be putting out a lot of garbage these days. I've heard of a few other guys having the same accuracy issues with the Shields, and particularly the PC versions.

This was the original barrel:

Attachment 206956

And the "fixed" barrel:

Attachment 206957

It shot fine at 7yds...

Attachment 206958

Banned
    forearmed,

My 9mm Shield will put all 7 shots into a group the size of the palm of my hand at 25M, using a one-handed hold, if I do my part. = Inasmuch as this is a SELF-DEFENSE pistol, I regard that as "fully acceptable" for its intended purpose.
    (One of my friends who is a retired Army CSM here in SA calls the Shield a "7-shot derringer." = The Sergeant Major is 100% CORRECT, imvho.)

yours, tex

Thanks for all the replies and PMs. My barrel is indeed .357, and has no throat to speak of. The Lee 125 RF sized .3575 has to be seated at 1.00" to chamber, while the SIG will handle 1.06 and the Glock 1.10. 125s and heavier shoot high. 115s shoot to the sights if you look at the center of the "group." I have some 125 gr. .357 hollowpoints that I will try. I can live with it shooting high if it will group decently.

Boolit Grand Master

Just shot mine today for the first time with GI Ball. Point of impact and accuracy was very good. Only shot one load two handed at various distances out to 25 yards. Pleased with its performance.

Mine is one of the $200 ones with the stupid little safety. That is the only thing I don't like about it.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-30-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have no trouble clearing a plate rack at 25yds off hand with more emphasis on speed than accuracy. Never bothered shooting groups. Feed it whatever 9mm I have with me.

Throat is short, 124 HSTs kiss the rifling. Some of my handloads for the Glocks won't chamber.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I usually use 120 ish grain lead RN out of mine over bullweye. When I'm shooting it often I have about 4" groups qt 25 yards. I usually use my boolitw 'as dropped" which is .357 to .3575 and tumbled lubed in alox/paste wax. I don't shoot competition and I don't consider a Shield as "target pistol" but I am very swiped with how it shoots and never a hiccup with it.

Mine has the safety but it is stiff and i awlays carry it with the safety off OWB with a Fobus paddle holster - not an issue for me. Complaints? Just one - very stiff to rack for my older hands but I can live with it.

Banned
    bedbugbilly,

TRUE 100%.- I have the NTS model.
    Fwiw, I have some "issues" with my hands, too.
    (Also, fully loading magazines is "a BEAR", W/O a magazine loading tool. - Otoh, 14 rounds is PLENTY for anything short of defending against a whole GANG of attackers.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 10-31-2017 at 12:08 AM. Reason: typos

Boolit Master

Nope, not a Performance Center gun.

Throats? These are supposed to have throats? Who knew?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Banned

My 40 shield will shoot 4 inch at 25 if I really take my time and concentrate. It actually outshoots my glock 43 by about an inch.

Boolit Grand Master

My 9mm shield will give 3-4" at 25 yards and I'm fine with that. My XD-S 9mm with 4" barrel is considerably more accurate at all practical yardage.

Boolit Grand Master

My Brother uses a Shield and it will go under 3" with his hand loads with 357 bullets. It has been used in just about every C/C calss he teaches and it must have over 4000 rounds through it to date. Reliable and comfortable to shoot, the Apex trigger and better sights make a world of difference.

I had read this should of slug my barrel on my but did not untill this morning and it is ,355 . I got a different 9mm that is not one that is talk about it is .356 but shoot .358 that I use in my 357's.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I am a bit curious. This is for the OP, fourarmed in particular, but might be for some of the other folks posting here. (I was going to buy one of these handguns recently & did not. Now I wonder about it... From what I have been reading lately, perhaps it was good I did not.)

Are you shooting the firearm off sandbags or a bench/( a rest of some sort for stability)? Or, just free hand?

The reason I ask is that I use a couple sandbags made out of shotbags with sand in them & put them on a stable portable homemade tripod to verify sights out to 25 yards for my pistols to get an idea of group size with a stable rest. I also do this with loads I am working on... Then I know where the firearm is at regarding accuracy with that load & also know what sort of groups I should get if "I" am doing what I am supposed to do when firing that particular firearm with the loads I work up for it. Same for factory ammo types. I consider the results of those sort of tests to be even more accurate than having someone/others try the firearm out to see how they do with it. Or, judging accuracy with free hand shooting.

Questioning the accuracy of a firearm if one doesn't make sure to test at bench/sandbag/rest etc. does not make sense to me when there is more chance for human errors in stability than firearm errors. (< I don't know if I said that right, but I tried)
    Shooting off a rest of some sort to stabilize is how I test for accuracy to the sights & adjust the sights accordingly to correct. ( Even with longer range firearms, they are tested for accuracy with a stable rest)

I do not shoot free handed to set sights on any firearm. I zero the sights when it is stabilized, and if I for some reason do not have a made rest, I will use the prone position or use something in the area like a tree, large rock, etc. to stabilize it & verify the sights are "on".( for example if I think I bumped the sights when out hunting by falling, etc.)

[ Note: IMO, using "kentucky windage" if one can't get sights on might be OK with some, but not for me or mine. It is only used due to other factors such as wind or the like that could affect the firearm & its' shot(s) where accuracy is concerned, and some allowance for those factors can be used, but the firearm has been "bench tested" & sighted in for accuracy before it is used for anything.]

Please understand I am not questioning anyones veracity, and perhaps all the posts are being made with the shooting of the firearms off a bench is just taken as a "given". But even our snubnosed 38/357s fixed sights are checked for accuracy at 25 yds(regular paper plate sized or less) & if they can't group decent then they are down the road & we eventually go get another. Any with adjustable sights are adjusted for aim & accuracy & the same rule applies. If it cannot be grouped well at 25 yds then it goes down the road. IMO, anything less in accuracy is unacceptable.

As an example, just last year I had bought a used Remington Single 6 .22/22mag convertible SA revolver with fixed sights that would not group accurately in an acceptable group from a bench out to 25 yds. Great shape, nice action, & I really liked the pistol, but after testing... Unacceptable, so it went down the road in a trade to a guy who was trapping regularly, for dispatching when necessary, as I have pretty much given up trapping. I will look for another. It was not worth it to me to have it taken to a gunsmith to see about any "fixes". There are others out there that do not need that sort of thing.

If folks are talking about their firearms accuracy by just talking using a "free hand" method, without some sort of a stable rest to test it, then it is my bet that it is more likely the person firing and not necessarily the firearm.
    (
    YMMV of course in all of this, but I wonder sometimes when folks talk of what they consider acceptable for groups & I don't know if they are talking about "freehand" shooting, or from some sort of a rest, since many do not say, as I think it makes a heckuva difference.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast