RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .444 marlin cast deer

Boolit Man
    Congratulations, well done. I have two ready to go, a Model 94AE Winchester, .45 Colt, with a 255 grain LRNFN and a Model 94 Marlin, .44 magnum, with a 240 grain LHPGC, both over H110. The Winchester wears a 1.5x5 Redfield and the Marlin wears a Pro-point red dot........robin

Boolit Master

Maybe I'll get to hunt in the snow one day. Sure would make tracking easier!

Boolit Buddy
    what's your twist and load? i cant get the 310g accurate out of my 38 twist 444. was just shooting this past weekend. my shoulder hurts. it's not getting the nod this weekend for rifle season.
    My other forum, where I'm building a cabin....http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3325_0.html#msg48687

Boolit Master
    Very nice - I hunted for some years before shooting anything ... recently got a buck, my first ever, and it was with a 350 gr boolit that I cast from wheel weights. It's a good feeling to make something and use it rather than getting it out of a box.

Have fun...

ps - I eyeball wheel weights that are still on wheels and think of how they could be flying downrange at 1800 fps or so!
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Well done!
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Quote Originally Posted by mattd View Post
    what's your twist and load? i cant get the 310g accurate out of my 38 twist 444. was just shooting this past weekend. my shoulder hurts. it's not getting the nod this weekend for rifle season.
    My marlin is a 1in 38 twist
    The load is enough win 571 to get the lee 310 doing 1600 FPS Remington cases , win LR primer . The lee 310 is water dropped wheel weights .The BHN is 22,sized to .431 and gas checked . The barrel in my rifle slugs to .429 ( tight for a marlin from what I have read).Fat hard boolits seem to work best with the the Micro groove barrels .the boolit is fat for the gun ,I have to reduce c.o.a.l. To 2.460 to get them to chamber. I found that I had to get the 310 gr lee’s Going better tha 1300 FPS to get them to stabilize .
    Win 571 isn’t the best powder for the 444 I just was using up a 3 lbs tin I was given .
    I was more developing the load as a learning tool to get a feel for cast in my marlin . I was planning to work up more velocity before I went deer hunting with cast in the 444. But when i compared the ballistics of this load to what a 44mag rifle could do with this boolit I thought to myself would I feel undergunned with a 44 mag rifle in the deer woods ? Definitely not, so the heck with it and hunting we go

Boolit Master
    Congrats I killed one with the Lee 310 a few years back I was pushing it a bit hard with H322 . And as expected it knocked him for a loop . I wanna say the velocity was in the 1900 range but I've honestly forgotten what it was doing . I just looked in my "deer ledger" I was pushing it with 48 grains shot the deer at about 40 yards and it was DRT . My alloy was straight air cooled WW's runntgru a .432" die and lubes with Thomodons Blue Angel and like you I was using a 24" Micro Groove gun 1:38" .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines