RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Lubesizer Stroke Length (Max Length it will size) or other good ways to nose size

Boolit Bub

Lubesizer Stroke Length (Max Length it will size) or other good ways to nose size

I am interested in getting a Lubesizer, to hopefully nose size my 512-975GC boolits from CBE. The boolit length is 2.060", with a nose length of 1.250". However I am unsure if a normal lubesizer will work for me.

For those that have RCBS Lube-a-matics, Stars, or Lyman 4500's what is the maximum length boolit that can be sized? I figure this would be the length of stroke.

Otherwise, are there other easy ways to nose size? I normally use Lee push through sizers with all my powder coated boolits, however I tried doing this, and was not very pleased with trying to remove them from the sizer to size only the nose.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Last edited by Dirtjumper895; 10-29-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

A quick look, and measurement, shows that my Lyman 450 has a stroke of about 1-11/16 and my Star has a stroke of about 2-5/16. These machines are also limited by diameter. It looks like a press mounted sizer die like NOE offers may be your best bet. Hope this helps, and Good Luck!

Banned

you definitely want an in-out machine for nose sizing.
    the star would be a royal pain to knock the bullet back out of the die.

I could nose size with a LEE size die but I have an ejector set up on my RCBS press for pushing swaged bullets back out of those dies.
    it would easily do the same with an open ended lee screw in set up.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    you definitely want an in-out machine for nose sizing.
    the star would be a royal pain to knock the bullet back out of the die.

I could nose size with a LEE size die but I have an ejector set up on my RCBS press for pushing swaged bullets back out of those dies.
    it would easily do the same with an open ended lee screw in set up.
    What kind of ejector setup are your running on your rcbs press?

Boolit Master
    You don't "run an ejector" on the RCBS or Lyman, they are designed to push the bullet back out (up) on the up stroke, and that is why they are the best for "nose only" sizing (upside down) with a flat punch.

Boolit Bub
    A while back I got setup to nose size my projectiles, using a old Lyman 45 press. I had to make a shorter rod that pushes sizing die and bullet out of the die on the upstroke, and I am not running a top punch. I do have a flat base however so the lack of a top punch is ok. But for anyone looking to nose size a 2"long bullet, the Lyman 45 will work with a little tweaking.

Boolit Grand Master

NOE makes specific nose sizing dies - and the advantage is that he has a full range of sizes, unlike the H&I size dies. If you find an H&I die that will accomplish what you need go for it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    I purchased both .500 and .501 H&I dies, and tried both. I was able to get reliable chambering from the 0.501, and figured i can always use the .500 die one day if i need to for my other 50cals. With doing this nose sizing, i was able to get 20/20 rounds to chamber and shoot. Before nose sizing, i would get about 5/20 that would chamber. So overall I am way thrilled with the nose sizing these projectiles.