MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Powder Can dimensions

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Powder Can dimensions

I am going to make a better powder "magazine", couple layers of 1/2" plywood glued and screwed I guess.

But I don't yet have an 8# powder bottle to measure and so far am not seeing dimensions;

Anyone able to give me rough dimensions on those? (I could "fake" it but I'd like to be semi accurate )

TYVM, and mods if this's the wrong place, just delete or move, sometimes I am still guessing here! Sorry.

Boolit Grand Master

cfe 223 8 pounder is 10 1/2" tall, 7" x 4 1/4"

TY! So shelves maybe 11 or 12" apart, should fit; Then I can keep things fairly safe. Hmmm I'll need another sheet of plywood maybe, but that's OK.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings

8lb Bullseye is 10x7x12 and WW231 is just about the same.

Boolit Master

A few odd ones if you don't buy powder in bulk...

Gallon jug size 6, 7, or 8 pounders (military surplus or older stuff like H-335) 12"x6"x6"...

Trail Boss 5-pounder...13"x9"x7"...

Unique 4-pounder...13"x8"x5"...

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Grand Master

Powder Can dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by John J View Post
    Greetings

8lb Bullseye is 10x7x12 and WW231 is just about the same.
    Current Alliant and Hodgon jugs are different. Alliant's are a lot bigger. I will measure them in a little bit. The different size containers drive me nuts because they make it hard to keep it organized in a compact space.

I hate the Alliant bottles because they're to big.

The one on the right is a 4# Alliant bottle.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 10-29-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Boolit Buddy

If it were me, I would use solid wood, not plywood. The end result would be better fire and water protection.
    L.E.C.

Some NFPA regulations for storing powder...https://www.accuratepowder.com/safety/general-safety/

and this...http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...powder-storage ...post no. 7.

It doesn't hurt to have the facts down right when you go to spend the money to do it right.

Post some pictures of your work...OK?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    You MIGHT not want to make the container TOO sturdy. If it's built like a tank and contains the pressure of the gas expansion (say, if the propellant is exposed to extreme heat or flame), it could build up to the point that the container lets go suddenly, acting like bomb. Maybe you could build the bottom & sides very sturdy, and then put the top on it with glue. Then, if pressure builds up, the top could detach and "vent" it, rather than coming apart explosively. Just a thought.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

You aren't going to make a wood container tight enough that it builds up pressure. That's why it's specified for building a powder locker. Know your local fire code. Mine are built to hold 50#s because that's the max allowed per building. It's a good thing it's stored in multiple buildings

Banned

those Alliant bottles are oversized, but you can get a little over 11 lbs in them.
    and you can lay them down so the shelves don't have to be so high.

Good info. Yep, I know about letting the top blow off, same as every black powder mill that's been built for many many years (and then eventually blown its' top.) Just saying that I can put the 2, 1/2" layers together securely enough that it acts like 1 thickness of wood; I'd think "no easy path for a spark to get inside" is good, the top can be held on with a few dots of Elmer's or something, that should be OK. I am not the worlds' best woodworker - Getting better tools IS helping compensate somewhat, though

Boolit Master
    I am not the worlds' best woodworker - Getting better tools IS helping compensate somewhat, though.
    I have every confidence that YOUR skill in carpentry exceeds MINE. Personally, I am of the opinion that someone in Hollywood developed the concept for Tim Allen's character in "Home Improvement" after having watched me try my hand at various carpentry projects.

I guess maybe wood DOES have enough "give" in it to make explosions unlikely. I don't know enough about materials analysis to even know how one measures such a thing. With projects like this, I'm prone to err heavily on the side of caution. In this situation, my propensity might merely be wasteful.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

IDK, Kosh; Maybe they mixed you and I together a little for that character. I do like that you can now use a laser cutter for making things out of wood (so I can design it slice by slice and don't have to rely on my "cutting a straight line" ability; That's NOT a superpower that I have...)