WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Who does genuine full pressure barrel relining

Boolit Buddy

Who does genuine full pressure barrel relining

Wondering who out there does true barrel relining. I read up on it about a year ago and found a bunch of places that do low pressure relining where they greatly restrict what calibers you can choose for the project (only very low pressure conversions offered). I did find one place that did normal barrel relining with a website, believe it was in montana, but can't recall the name. Seem to recall it had a reddish background color to the site.

Main reason for the question is in regard to repurposing a rifle with a ruined bore without changing the exterior/original look of the outside of the barrel. For example relining an enfield back to .303, or changing it to a .303-35.

Mainly looking for relining sources but happy to have any other info on the topic. Curious what the minimum barrel wall thickness requirements they have are.

I have heard this was much more common 20-30 years ago than it is now, is that true?

An interesting gunsmithing question! Yes, I do believe that relining for cartridges with higher pressures and velocities than common with pistol cartridges used to be more common than it is today. I would venture a guess that the reason for that is the shift away from using solder to affix the liner into the barrel became less attractive from a time and labor standpoint when it was found that epoxy could be used with much less time, labor, and expense. When I attended gunsmithing school we were taught the solder method, but I rarely used it in practice. I would guess that you'll have a hard time finding someone who still uses solder and is good at it, and personally don't know anyone still in business to refer you to. In the specific example you gave about a .303 Enfield I would personally just locate a suitable take off barrel and rebarrel the rifle. They all have interesting markings.

Boolit Master

While I have done more than a few high pressure liner jobs with no problems I will most likely not be doing them anymore. The liners are made from 4130 steel and hammer forged for the rifling. This steel is not as hard as the 4140 that most modern barrels are made from. They shoot great but I can't see them lasting as long as a 4140 steel barrel. The 4130 steel is harder than the metal used in old black powder rifles so it does work great in these applications. In 1895 Winchester went to Nickel steel and about the same time Marlin went to "smokeless steel". Barrels got a bunch harder with the new metals. On the 303, I made a new barrel for one a couple months ago.

Boolit Master
    The “liner” for a high-intensity cartridge would essentially be a new barrel, turned down to the dimensions of the liner drill hole, with an enlarged breech end to fit a similar-sized bored-out section in the breech of the shot-out barrel.

It would look like the starting point for one of those carbon-fiber-wound ultralight barrels. In this way, the chamber and barrel bore would be continuous, and the old barrel would simply be a reinforce, like the carbon-fiber windings on the ultralight barrel. A typical cylindrical liner might be completely cut away on rechambering, with the joint somewhere down near the shoulder. Since lead is malleable and plastic can creep, having it exposed to chamber pressure that way is not comforting.

Such a liner would have to be turned down as needed to fit the shot-out barrel, and the job would not be cheap. A rebore to the next size up would be much less expensive.

Boolit Master

Use a replacement original contour barrel and save the old barrel
    for later re-installation
    http://criterionbarrels.com/lee-enfield-no4
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

Easier and cheaper to just rebarrel most of the high pressure ones. I have turned down old take off Remington barrels and re chambered them for odd guns but not economical.