Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Timney trigger for 10/22

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters

Timney trigger for 10/22

Any one here tried the Timney drop in trigger for the 10/22 ? Curious how well that lever for the magazine release works . How do you like the trigger weight an pull ?

Thanks , Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I'm pretty carbine they work,Timney is a good name in triggers, but omg at that price? A Ruger BX trigger group is my choice.....no there not an anschutz trigger, but putting a $200 (plus) trigger in a $300 rifle.....I think it's a waste........

Boolit Master

if your going to spend that much, just buy a KIDD trigger and have the best.

If you are looking for lighter trigger for hunting plinking with a more less stock 10/22 you can't
    beat the Volkswargen kits. Their target hammer kit makes unbelievable difference in trigger pull
    for around $30.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Volquartsen actually. The 10/22 stock trigger can be a "bit" gritty, definitely.

This one is definitely gritty , that's probably the reason I'm not looking at the Ruger BX trigger . If they didn't get it right the first time sort of thought ........

I suppose a kit might not be a bad thing , then I remember the trigger housing was made by Ruger and know those kit parts have to hang from that . That makes me think a drop in may be a better way to go .

Anybody tried that magazine release the Timney has ? ..... like it ?

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Sent mine to Brimstone Gunsmithing and they did a very nice job. About 2#, got their level 2. Very happy!! Fast turnaround, also.

Brimstone did a custom job for me, to make it legal for CMP Rim fire spotter matches, good workmanship.......

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...er-ruger-1022/

Gear Review: Timney Trigger – Ruger 10/22

Tyler Kee

October 1, 2011
    5 comments

I try to stay on the sunny side of life most of the time. Keep the glass half full, look for the silver lining, etc. I have met disappointment, but we aren’t intimate friends. Last Wednesday night however, we became a bit closer . . .

As you might have gleaned from my Gear Preview: Timney 10/22
    Trigger, I was really excited about the prospect of breathing some new life into my old girl. In fact, I ended my preview with the following statement, “My initial dry firing makes me think that I’m going to be sending Timney some of my hard earned money.” Instead I’ll be sending them their trigger assembly for a mulligan.
    Let’s start at the beginning shall we?

I took my bone stock gun to the range, and warmed up with four magazines of 10 rounds. Things were running flawlessly. Save for the guy two stalls over shooting his .300 Win Mag as fast as he could cycle the bolt (indoors no less), things were going well. I was able to establish a baseline 9 shot group with the stock setup at 50 yards
    I checked with my RO to make sure that he was okay with me disassembling my firearm on the line, and changed out trigger groups. Like I mentioned in my preview, this is a snap. All you have to do is remove the receiver, push out the two pins that hold the trigger assembly in place, put the Timney group in, replace the pins, and reassemble the action and stock. I took the opportunity to do some cleaning as well. With everything assembled, I refreshed my target and started taking sighting shots to get comfortable before I shot for “score”

My first sighting shot was a bullseye and the trigger broke crisp and clean as expected. I was practically giddy. I started squeezing for the follow up, and squeezed, and squeezed, and squeezed. It seems my hammer had not reset. Chalking it up to funky coincidence, I racked the bolt, and squeezed off another shot. It landed mere fractions of an inch from its former mate. I squeezed for the follow up shot and continued to squeeze some more, and ran into the same issue. Rack the bolt, squeeze, nest 3 together. Lather, rinse repeat.

At this point, I realized that there was an issue with my new trigger group. Looking at the cases of the unfired ejections, it was clear that the firing pin was making a small impression in the primer. At this point, I should have packed my ****, returned the trigger, and gone to bed slightly disappointed. Instead, I decided to shoot for “score”And damn if it didn’t look good. Yeah, I had to cycle the bolt manually after every shot, but look at the great photo that I was able to get for the loyal TTAG readers. You’ll notice that there are only five bullet holes in this target. I didn’t shoot more because the SHTF.
    In 12 years and 15,000 rounds with this gun, I have never had a ruptured case. I hope to never have another. It scared the **** out of me. I took some shrapnel to the head, and watched smoke start pouring out of my gun. I am so so so very glad that I wore my glasses as I took a piece of something directly to the lens. Had I not been wearing glasses, I would be a doofy looking pirate for Halloween this year. I am also extremely thankful that I am not a left-handed shooter who uses a right-handed gun. The Phantom of the Opera mask has never looked good on me. A small explosion a foot from my face was enough for me. I shot a few rounds through my AR and then headed home. On the way, I emailed Chris at Timney to tell him that I had a major issue. He responded back within 20 minutes, and followed up today with the following.

Tyler:

We are finding out that the disconnector spring in the Timney 10/22 Complete Drop-In Assembly does not work in some rifles.

We have a fix that has proven to work in all rifles we have tested.

Please return the trigger assembly to us and we will fix it.
    Thanks.
    Chris

I spoke with Nick Leghorn Thursday night. He agreed that the disconnecter spring issue would explain the failure to reset the hammer. He also explained that my case rupture was very likely due to a sensitive primer that got ridden a bit too hard by the firing pin. The infamous double fire that has been mentioned on TTAG over the last few weeks seems to have reared her ugly head.

Looking past the major mechanical issues, it is a fine trigger. A real
    joy to shoot. And so far, I am pleased with Timney’s response. It would be just as easy to scream “operator error!” and send me down the line. They are owning up and taking care of the issue. We all make mistakes. The true test of a company is how they deal with it. The trigger group is with Timney now and should be returned to me shortly. Stay tuned for updates.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Being that was six years ago would it be safe to say that those triggers have been fixed ?

Thanks Wilco

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Being that was six years ago would it be safe to say that those triggers have been fixed ?

Thanks Wilco

Jack
    You're welcome Jack.

I'd say it'd be a safe bet to order one.
    At the end of the day, they said they had a fix and they didn't leave the author hanging.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    If you are looking for lighter trigger for hunting plinking with a more less stock 10/22 you can't
    beat the Volkswargen kits. Their target hammer kit makes unbelievable difference in trigger pull
    for around $30.

Took me, a novice `smith`, most of a Saturday to do the work needed for a Volquartson trigger job. When I was done and had put 50 shells thru it I measured the trigger pull. It is between 2 3/4 and a bit over 3 lbs. This was done back about 2000 and I`ve never regretted doing this work.Robert

Boolit Master
    Well, the OP asked about the Timney trigger assy, with the funny lever for the mag release.
    I bought one, and installed it in one of my 10/22's. I also have a Volquartsen trigger assy they built in another 10/22. The Volquartsen is top notch. Period.
    The Timney is also a very nice trigger assy. It has never given me any functioning issues, and is nice to shoot. I do not recall what the trigger pull weight is.
    The mag release lever,,, it is a little "loose" in that it opens quite easily, and could make you dump the magazine unexpectedly, unless you make sure you pay attention to it. Overall, a nice trigger assy.

Thanks contender1 , that's just what I was looking for .

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Power custom hammer kit gets the trigger down to 2.5-3lb ,makes a great improvement from the std 7lb plus !

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of the Timney triggers in my 10/22 build an it works very good, the magazine release lever works great on mine, has a little take up and a crisp trigger break I really like it. Hope this helps.

Second (or third) for Brimstone. Great work, fast turnaround, and about half the cost of a BX trigger from Ruger.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

You folks with the Brimstone work done - For a field gun that will be used for varminting, not a competition gun, would the Tier 3 trigger be good & the Tier 2 better, but Tier 1 maybe overdoing it? Seems maybe a better idea than doing my own, unless I put it off to post-move.

Tier 3 is what I ordered, and it came back with a 2 1/2# pull. There was a little overtravel, though, so I installed a 8-32 Allen screw in the back of the triggerguard for a trigger stop, and I’m a happy camper. Next one will probably be a Tier 2, since they incorporate an internal trigger stop and a few other goodies, but I’m happy with mine the way it is for now. The Tier 1 would be overkill, I agree.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I've been known to (carefully) install an allen screw in the trigger, alternately, to handle overtravel. Depends on what's easiest to get to to install and to adjust said screw! OK I may even wander down there, planning a varminting trip (with load workup) pretty soon and they're not THAT far away, may have to arrange to have it mailed back to me tho unless they're faster than I suspect. ("Skeleton crew" is not a good sign on work speed, but, doing it right is GOOD, I can be patient )