Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: Rem 700 long action replacement stocks

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Rem 700 long action replacement stocks

I have a 700 long action which has evil wood on it. The wood's been warping worse and worse, I think it's just plain needing different wood. Don't have the good stock blanks I once had so I'll need to buy something; I want a varmint-level stock, probably will free float that rifle as it seems to LIKE being free floated, provided the stock hasn't warped to the point of touching the barrel and deflecting the rounds horizontally. So something GOOD, not "world class" but not just a cheapie - I lost the contact info (sadly!) for my usual gunsmith, he's WAY south of here and I honestly am not certain I could "just drive there", it's been too long. Some of you will have very good ideas though

Boolit Master
    I've never been dissatisfied with a Boyd's stock. The new AT-One allows for adjustable cheek weld as well.

For more money I'd say McMillan or bust. Their lightweight stocks are a super buy.

Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    H-S Precision makes some nice moderately priced stocks.

Remington uses some on their rifles. Look for someone selling a take-off where they are upgrading to a McMillan or a chassis.

Boolit Master
    If a synthetic stock would work, try Bell & Carlson.

Boolit Master
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master

Hello Mr_Sheesh
    A few questions
    Wood or Synthetic?
    Factory or custom?
    Will you be doing the stock work?
    What caliber is the gun?
    What purpose will the gun be used?
    Thank you
    Mike

p.s. if you have the name or even location of your usual gunsmith,
    maybe we know how to contact him
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0066.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	207066

Just recently upgraded a Savage 12FV with a new Boyd's VTH laminate, never like the plastic stuff. The barreled action was nearly a perfect drop-in with the barrel free floated, the only work needed was to (slightly) open up the trigger guard inletting. Most of my rifles have all been re-stocked using Boyd's products, it hard to beat their quality and pricing. The rifle out of the box shot one hole groups all day long, and still does. The other upgrade was to get rid of the original bolt handle and replace it with a Glades Armory SST. In .204 Ruger, this is a great Varmint tool.

skeettx - It's been 12+ years, I had a knee injured and all my address info was destroyed, long story. I am guessing he's down around maybe Rochester? Or Oakville? in WA state, he had a garage shop, lived sorta WAY away from I-5 (but I'm just looking at the map and trying to guess the town here. It could be one of the further south highways. Plan is - next time I'm down there, try to figure out which.) Head south on I-5 from Olympia, a ways south of there, head west 20-30 miles? on some small state highway. Main thing's that I want someone good with bolt guns and who isn't afraid of free floating if that's what works (I've had good luck with it for compressed slow powder long range loads in some heavy barrel rifles.)

On the stock, well, I don't have the tools but know what to get (Lots of stuff stolen by a family member.) Wood or Synthetic, well, I mostly have had wood stocks, but a good synthetic one'd be fine. Laminated would be pretty, could see that Mainly I want it to not be warping like mad. Factory or custom - Factory rifle, just changed bedding somewhat and it turned out VERY well. Will you be doing the stock work? Depends, I can but sometimes someone who's better would be a better choice! Depends on that pesky competence / cost calculation probably LOL What caliber is the gun? 7mm Rem Mag. 40 rounds will make your shoulder sore, but also not leave 40 holes in the target :P What purpose will the gun be used? Well, I could see some hunting in its' future if I can get lined up on something needing that power; It's not exactly good for rockchucks tho :P So a lot of paper targets too. (I sorta view all of shooting as "enjoying the outdoors" and don't try to overthink it; If I saw a very long range Coyote shot and was carrying that gun I wouldn't shrug and give up )

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Richards MicroFit stocks, look them up, very good selection, great prices and all levels of inletting available. Also, IT & D custom guns in Minerva, Ohio has barrels and takeoff stocks. Give them a call, u might end up scoring a takeoff stock of just what ya want!! Good luck to you, sir, in your search.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Banned
    Mr. Sheesh,

Fwiw, the last time that I talked to them, SARCO had "as new"' Remington 700 BDL long-action stocks in both R & L hand versions for sale at a good price.
    (One of my cousins bought a NICER-LOOKING stock from them at a price that was lower than repairing the badly cracked stock, at a local gun-shop, on his 700LH.)

yours, tex

Don't be hating on me,haha but,bought a new 30-06 stainless fluted 700,was their 200th anniversary model?Anyway,we have a stock dupe machine and have made more than I really care to but,the factory stock is as perfect as any reasonable person could ask for?

So,don't discount a take off CDL stock.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Hmmm! Maybe I can do this sooner than planned... I don't mind the original wood stock at all either, or I didn't until it started looking like a question mark when viewed from above anyways. Severe warping is NOT a good thing in a gun stock.

The new McMillan Mc3 stocks are very affordable. $259
    https://mc3stocks.com/product/legend...r-long-action/
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy
    I'm gonna second Richards Microfit. I've restocked two Ruger M-77s, one long action and the other normal. They're about 80% inlet when you get it, available in a wide range of grades and the wood is conservatively graded. They also have a host of styles and wood or laminates. Might take them some time to get you the product as they have limited on hand stock and will need to put you in line for carving. One took almost no time to get (2 or 3 weeks), they other seemed like for ever (6 or 7 weeks). But they'll let you know up front. Seems they have peak and valleys of orders, so might wanna call them first.
    I can not know what I don't know.

I'm using the stock in the right hand picture. I can't see my factory long action '06 shooting much better if any. The stock is a little heavy but removes all the sharpness of recoil from the rifle. I can shoot a 100 rounds in my T-shirt without marking my shoulder. The rifle doesn't shift impact & lays in the bags well. It fits me great for offhand & prone. Just my 2.

https://www.hogueinc.com/stocks/remi...n/bdl/standard