RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Help with Eastwood powder

Boolit Man

Help with Eastwood powder

New to powder coating and i'm just about to give up on the shake n bake and pick up a spray gun at HF. I cannot for the life of me get a even pigment coating of Black Chrome from Eastwood. A local caster shared some of his blue and black to from another company and while the blue coats the best the first time, the black usually has very minor gaps that didnt pick up powder. Now the eastwood black chrome is harder to spot for unevenness because before the cure its a grey coat of powder so it somewhat blends in with the lead. While the pigment isnt even, the coating is because i can feel the glossy layer all around but if i want it purty should i just invest in a spray gun?

im using #5 container, black bbs. one thing i'll point out is im using the same type of containers for the black and blue, the black chrome is being shook in a kraft cheese container.

Boolit Master

Your blue look great, and the black will shoot fine, some powders just won't work well for shake-n-bake. That powder appears to be translucent like a candy color and may not give full pigment cover even with spraying.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

I'm A Honcho!
    That's actually good coverage on the black bullets. I would call that a victory (lower photo). The clear is sticking to the bullets better than the black powdercoat that its mixed with. Looks antiqued.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Spend $20 on smokes powder before your go through and buy a spray gun. Those looked completely covered. ..just looks like the clear paint is showing and not the black pigment

Eastwood's Mirror black is my second favorite powder next to their clear. The mirror black does work better when applied with the electrostatic gun than shake and bake but then, most powders do. Clear powder or a combination of clear and a pinch of your favorite color work by far the best for me when I do the dry tumble "Shake and Bake" Gp