MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What to buy for a plinker wheelgun in 38 Special, just for fun!

Centerfire systems in KY has police trade-ins for about $300 plus shipping. S&W blued model 10s and stainless. If I were in the market, that is where my money would go. I am a colt collector and the K frame is right between the size of a police positive and larger official police. Out of Colt, vintage ruger service six or S&W, S&W is the only one that you may get factory service. I love my Colts but I have a gunsmithing manual to correct minor issues myself such as timing. And if you found that vintage ruger working, most likely it will stay working. I would so much rather own a used American made gun than a used foreign handgun made to under price its US counterpart.

Banned
    Mr. Sheesh, you've received a lot of input on this and some of it is very good.

I have a lot of experience with the 38 Special, decades worth actually. It is by far my favorite cartridge.
    The 4" DA revolver chambered in 38 Special is one of the most useful firearms you'll ever find. It does a LOT of things really well.

I'm going to second the advice given by Outpost75 because: A. He has a tremendous amount of experience and B. His advice was spot on!

I've spent my time with Taurus and I'm no longer willing to play in that sand box. Sometimes you get a good Taurus and sometimes you don't.

I'll chime in with the advice to find an old S&W model; 10, 15, 64, 67, etc. OR a Ruger Service/Security Six.

I actually prefer fixed sights for most revolvers and there's nothing wrong with a Model 10 or Model 64. Adjustable sights don't make your groups smaller, they just allow you to move that group around on the target . I've seen more than one poor shooter play around with adjustable sights when they should have been concentrating on themselves. You can't fix poor shooting with a little screwdriver. You can center a group on a target with adjustable sights and you can correct some point of impact [P.O.I.] issues when dealing with bullets of different weights. However, in the hands of a good marksman and S&W Model 10 will put 158gr bullets in the same little group that a S&W model 15 will.

I agree with the advice on Colts and will go a bit farther. Old Colts are not guns for amateur gun buyers. Any Colt in halfway decent shape will require a second mortgage to acquire and a lot of them are no longer in "halfway decent shape".

I've had some type of S&W K-frame chambered in 38 Special for as long as I can remember (usually a Model 10 or Model 64). Many of those were old police guns. The K-frame holds up well in 38 Special and they are wonderful guns.

Forget the new gun market. There are plenty of good 4" DA revolvers chambered in 38 Special on the used market. I picked up a used Model 10 few years ago that was a little worn on the outside but pristine on the inside. It is one of the best used Model 10's I've ever had. They're out there, you just have to find them.

Learn how to inspect a used revolver. Learn the differences in models. Learn what the current prices are (and not what the seller tells you it is).

Occasionally I will turn to Gunbroker to acquire something that just isn't available locally but in that process you're trading a bigger selection for the ability to examine the gun personally. When buying long distance you must also factor in shipping and transfer fees; bid accordingly.

Here are the absolute rules for buying a gun:
    1. Know EXACTLY what you want BEFORE you start looking. (you can have more than one gun on this list but they all must be well defined).
    2. Know what you're willing to pay for that EXACT gun. You can adjust that price depending on quality but know what your upper limit is.
    3. Have the cash in your pocket when you start actively searching.
    4. NEVER compromise and buy something that's available because it's close to what you really wanted.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 10-29-2017 at 10:56 AM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    What he^^^^^said!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I am always looking for 4" S&W .38 Special revolvers at a good price. By that I mean $300 or less.
    My evil plan is to make sure every member of my family has one. BTW the the snub nose small frame .38s are NOT plinking guns. A plinking gun must be easy to shoot well.

About 20 years ago I purchased a police trade-in S&W Mod. 10 HB after reading an article about police trade ins by C.E. Harris in "Fouling Shot." Other than holster wear, the gun was perfect + it came with aftermarket grips which fit my hand perfectly: Still own it; never regretted purchasing it. Ed Harris' advice, as usual, was spot on!

I'd get a 6 shot Smith and Wesson snub nose with a round butt. I like mine the most and it's a 19, P & R, so it shoots magnums if I want.

On the other hand, it wasn't cheap. I had to fork over a fair amount of samoleans to get it.

Yes, there are diamonds in the rough and lots will post about their's.

I'd work over time and save of some dough and get exactly want I want and don't look back.

Relevant to this thread is the article on the Hensley & Gibbs website:

"You will become a better shooter and a better carpenter when you focus on the task at hand and stop worrying about your tools. That’s why I want an ugly hammer gun..."

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/TCD/arti...yhammergun.htm
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post

1. Know EXACTLY what you want BEFORE you start looking. (you can have more than one gun on this list but they all must be well defined).
    2. Know what you're willing to pay for that EXACT gun. You can adjust that price depending on quality but know what your upper limit is.
    3. Have the cash in your pocket when you start actively searching.
    4. NEVER compromise and buy something that's available because it's close to what you really wanted.

Good Luck
    Some of the best advice to ever appear on these pages during my 21 years on this site.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Yep not for Self Defense, just for fun; Good info I'm looking forwards to the first rounds

Banned
    Mr. Sheesh,

Pardon me for quoting an old USAMPS Master Instructor, who was known as "The Polish Falcon", who often opined, "Handguns are like parachutes. - If you ever need one & don't have one, chances are you won't ever need one again."

One never knows what untoward events that the future may bring, so my suggestion is to always go armed for the BAD DAY that none of us desire.

yours, tex
    USAMPC, Retired

Boolit Grand Master
    It is VERY difficult to argue against a K-frame S&W 38 Special revolver. This platform was the cartridge's first home c. 1902, and 115 years later its overall utility and practicality has not been bested. Imitated? Sure--Colt "I" and "D" frame 38 Specials are fine examples, but Outpost cited their down-sides succinctly--and they are far more scarce than the S&W examples--and cost more. Rugers are stalwart choices for the venue, sometimes a little unrefined though.

If you want a new revolver, S&W lists variants in their catalog in the $750-$800 MSRP range. Real-world pricing is somewhat less than that. There are many used examples still available, but they aren't as commonly-found as they once were--and they won't likely decrease in price. I do have a VERY NICE early-1960s Model 10 x 5" that I use to qualify with annually (I am "papered" for both rollers and bottom-feeders). I have no preference either way between fixed or adjustable sights, and agree that fixed sights are far more durable; we issued S&W Model 64s for many years at my old shop, and I cannot think of one of the many examples I fired or inspected that didn't place 158 grain loads right where the sights looked at 25 and 50 yards. Our 110 grain +P carry loads printed about 2" low at 25 yards, IIRC.

I was raised in such a way that "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". This covers my perspective on Taurus revolvers properly.

Just my dos centavos.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I decided, several years ago, That I didn't want to be without a combat masterpiece. I went on GB and found several security guns for sale. I bought a M15-2 a M-15-3 and a M-67. I can not do better for every day plinking here in the country. My Booger Load is 11gr 2400 under 160gr swc and any cheap rnl factory load for turtles and snakes.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

I know it don't meet the requirements ....but I bought a Rossi 92 in .357 and plink the daylights out of cheap 38 specials with it. My kids and myself enjoy the neck out of it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My favorite .38 is a .357... (-:}

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    My favorite .38 is a .357... (-:}
    I hear ya--two 38 Specials and four 357 Magnums on staff here at present. They all get range days.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    texasnative46 - Oh yeah. 1911 family for me, for SD, tho; or if I have a lil warning I'll add 12 gauge to the mix. Or a vehicle is a GOOD effective weapon Better yet, relocate to a different county! But: This wheelgun is just for fun

(Years ago I helped as an assistant instructor in a self defense shooting school for a few years; Dang some people going into that had BAD problems. One gal had talked way too many guys out of raping her on her way to her car after work ~2am, unarmed nurse - & after learning she ended up being a natural wheelgun shot, one hole groups - and still had the same thing happening - only now she could also draw on an aggressor "if needed", and last I heard it had been, a few times. Guys promptly remembered they'd left the iron on at home, she's guessing. So AFAIK she's not had to shoot any. She knows it could happen tho. Another's ex-con boyfriend ended up taking up the hobby of armed robbery, she turned him in but then to protect herself changed her name, relocated, and had learned to shoot well. Neither of them thought of this experience as "fun"...)

If I'm plinking and someone insists on making it a self defense situation, well, I'm thinking of trying 148 Gr. DEWCs over W-231; 3.1 Gr. maybe. Should make smallish groups But as I'm a big strong guy, no one seems to want to pick a fight with me - Which is exactly how I want it! Lots of things I'd rather do - same as all of you guys

I think of the self defense weapon as equivalent to a fire extinguisher; Just because I have a fire extinguisher and learned how to use it, does NOT mean that I want to try setting my place on fire. Or want anyone else to light it up.

Banned
    Mr. Sheesh,

UNDERSTOOD.

Even though I never go looking for trouble, trouble may come looking for me & mine. - For that reason, I'm armed 24/7, if it's a lawful place to CC.
    (I figure 7 or 14 rounds of Plus-P 9x19mm is enough to at least "depart the scene, smartly".)

yours, tex

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I am always looking for 4" S&W .38 Special revolvers at a good price. By that I mean $300 or less.
    My evil plan is to make sure every member of my family has one. BTW the the snub nose small frame .38s are NOT plinking guns. A plinking gun must be easy to shoot well.
    Put a good full size grip on them and they can shoot rather well. It takes away the every day carry aspect but a 2" J frame and a grip that really fits your hand con do well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Put a good full size grip on them and they can shoot rather well. It takes away the every day carry aspect but a 2" J frame and a grip that really fits your hand con do well.
    Adding a Tyler T-Grip or Pachmayr grip adapter to the typical J-frame makes a BIG difference in comfort and controllability with full charge loads, but not NOT impair concealability!

Tyler still makes the T-grip for the older pre-1942 Colts if those are your pleasure.

Attachment 206988Attachment 206989
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-30-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

plus one on the http://www.t-grips.com/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast