Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What to buy for a plinker wheelgun in 38 Special, just for fun!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

What to buy for a plinker wheelgun in 38 Special, just for fun!

Years ago a friend had an S&W M&P 10. He was mean tho, and wouldn't sell it to me for cheap:P (I use ":P" for tongue in cheek - I tease a LOT. Of freaking course he wouldn't sell it cheap, he enjoyed it too much LOL) On the plus side, he did let me plink it a LOT at the range; Put many a handload down range with that.

Since I don't have that nice wheelgun, and got some 38 Special brass recently and unexpectedly - I am thinking of getting something to use said brass up in a couple months, New is OK if it's a good gun & worth the $; Used is OK if it's not been abused to death too. (I probably will sell off the AMT backup, too, as it's too tiny for my Yeti hands!), anyways - what would you folks suggest for a 38 special only plinker? Used older wheelgun's fine, mainly I want sorta cheapish but decent quality, I'll just shoot gentle handloads in it for plinking. Keiths maybe, possibly wadcutters - for sure CB's and I'll maybe try out powder coating, have to work on the gear for that as my budget sucks.

M&P 10 would be a good one, I need to look at what they go for now, though; I'm not imagining they'd have much original finish left, OR be cheap LOL

(Still learning - Forgot to subscribe to the thread as I posted - Hope to figure out how to subscribe w/o a second post some day)

Boolit Master
    Try finding a gently used Taurus copy of a S&W M15 or M19.
    (Still learning - Forgot to subscribe to the thread as I posted - Hope to figure out how to subscribe w/o a second post some day)
    Been there, done THAT!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I picked up a Taurus model 80 last weekend at a gun show for $200
    It is a 5 screw model made in the early 70's best I can tell a copy of a 5 screw model 10
    I took It to the range a couple times this week and put at least 150 rounds through it with a smile on my face the whole time lol

Boolit Grand Master

You can pick up Model 15 for pretty cheap. I picked up a model 15 with chrome that's a bit scratched and worn for $250-275 IIRC. Functions great and has digested many thousands of plinker 38 loads for me.

Edit: wow. Just cruised GB and they have definitely gone up. I bought this one local several years ago.

Boolit Master
    Do an online search for used police surplus S&W model 10's. Cost would be in the area of $200-300. Also some of the sellers have the model 64 which is the stainless steel version of the model 10 blued model. I bought a police surplus model 10 about 25 years ago and still have it. Model 15's with the adjustable sights may cost a bit more. Happy hunting. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=833
    Taurus M85
    That's pretty cheap.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I found a nickel plated S&W 15-2 at a local gun shop last year. Finish had some wear,but mechanically was very good. I gave $400 which is probably too much,but have enjoyed shooting it.

Boolit Master

I'd try my hand at converting a single 6 from 327 to 38 special. Vaquerito. If not comfy doing the complex work, I'd farm the barrel to pacnor and ask a gunsmith to open up the 32 cal cylinder to 38.

Some nice promising possibilities so far Great! Looking forwards to more ideas but those could do well

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    I think old blued Taurus 66 revolvers are a possibility. I really enjoy the one I picked up earlier this year.
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

Boolit Master
    I'd personally shop for a used model 10 or the stainless version the 64. Prices are up from what they used to be, but you will get a good gun that will hold its value better. One benefit to the 64's is even police trade in ones with a good bit of finish wear can be made to look new with a rag and some Flitz metal polish due to their stainless construction. I have probably 20 S&W 38's, but I bought many of them when they were $200 or less, and that doesn't happen much anymore. Happy hunting.

Boolit Master

Its big, but a new vaquero in 357 is VERY budget friendly and would make a fine cowboy gun shooting 38 sp. Also, cimmaron for a smaller company makes small framed cowboy guns that shoot 38. Called model P or Jr P or lightning or similar.

Boolit Grand Master
    I vote for a used Smith or Ruger, either a K Frame Smith or a Security Six Ruger. I have Several Smith and Wesson's, my favorite is an old, pencil barrel,Model 10, but I also have a Service Six snubbie that I like a lot as well. A Taurus or Rossi could also do good work, but they should be carefully inspected before purchase. To be frank though, there are plenty of decent old police service trade in revolvers floating about. Just about all of them are mechanically sound and good shooters, even if they are rough on the out side.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I'd vote Model 10 as well. I'll see how my new LCRx holds up, but so far the trigger on my 64 was much better.

Boolit Master
    I bought one of the s&w 64's that hit the surplus market in about 2010ish. Bobbed hammer, houge grips and a decent trigger. For the money I can't find any thing close. I probably put 5-8k cast thew it since then with the only problem was when I got it I was getting light hits. I figured the lighter hammer needed some more umph. I put a copper shim between the main spring and tension screw to see if it helped, still in there and no more problems . Such a good gun I wished I bought more

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    The only down side to the S&W M-10 is the fixed sights. Elevation can be rather easily remedied if there is an issue but windage adjustment can be a problem. Sometimes, if it is not too far off, just a different load will make a difference.

I have a Cimarron 38-40 that with the classic 180gr. RF bullet shoots 2" left at 15 yds. Went to a lighter TC style bullet that my Grandson shoots in his 40 S&W and now it shoots spot on at 15 yds.

Before someone tells me, I know, just learn to hold off, or change your grip, or any number of other nuisance things that take away the fun, but all that is a pain in the patoot as far as I'm concerned. I'll gladly pay the extra for adjustable sights even though once I get it sighted in for the load I'm going to use, they probably will never be changed.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

This may sound like its off the wall but there are currently Spanish Police revolvers being imported.
    Astra 960 when searching they are "Spanish Police".
    Currently going for 0 bids 6hrs $195, 0 bids 1day4hrs $239--
    I bought an Astra 38 target 38 in the mid seventies and a friend who was into target shooting tried it out and wouldn't cease and desist until I sold it to him.
    If I remember correctly Astra also manufactured for Colt-Small 25. Astra 2000/Colt Cub??
    YMMV
    Wish you lived closer, I'd sell you an import from the 80's.
    It's a Colt Police Positive used by Columbia National Police. They were about $65 and looked overpriced, but internally solid.
    Gotta say the 80s were okay!
    Sorry for possible complete diversion.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You can't go wrong with a former police turn-in S&W K-frame of any model or a Ruger Security Six, Service Six or Speed Six. SP101 and GP100 are OK, but "after my time..." I am another 1980s guy.

Colts can be VERY good, and I have a half dozen, but you need to be more knowledgeable in buying one because it is harder to find gunsmiths who are competent to work on them. Sandy Garrett of Northern Virginia Gun Works does my Colt work on my carry guns. Jerry Kieffer in Richmond, VA can also do Colts. Grant Cunningham used to, but I understand he has retired from gunsmithing and is teaching full time now.

With the vast number of good used S&Ws out there, good availability of repair parts and many former police factory-trained armorers who can do routine maintenance and repairs, COMPARE THAT against the well known spotty quality issues with Rossi and Taurus...I don't see why anybody would own one, unless you didn't plan to shoot it much and it was all that you could afford.

I don't know any US police departments that ever used a Taurus or Rossi, or even allowed off-duty carry of them and I don't know any competent gunsmiths who will work on one... because at any normally hourly shop rate, you will soon spend more on the gun than it is worth trying to make it right, they way it SHOULD have been when it left the factory. Not to say there aren't a few good ones out there, but their quality isn't consistent and they don't last if you shoot them alot.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    The only down side to the S&W M-10 is the fixed sights. Elevation can be rather easily remedied if there is an issue but windage adjustment can be a problem....I'll gladly pay the extra for adjustable sights even though once I get it sighted in for the load I'm going to use, they probably will never be changed.
    I understand the case for adjustable sights for the sport shooter who likes to fool with different loads and adjust the sights for different yardages. But for rough-duty field and duty use fixed sights are far superior.

A competent gunsmith can zero fixed sights to shoot "on" with a particular load. Correcting an off-shooter for windage in a used gun frequently requires straightening a bent frame where a gun may have been used by a cop as an impact weapon. But more often it is a matter of rotating the barrel a bit in the frame, usually by striking the ejector shroud with a babbit bar. This is how they are targeted at the factory.

The S&W adjustable sights are delicate, and the gun will not survive a drop onto a hard surface, landing on the sights without loss of zero. This may not be a problem for those of you for whom a revolver is a semi-jewelry item, but for those of us who see them as a "tool", fixed sights are first choice.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast