Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What to buy for a plinker wheelgun in 38 Special, just for fun!

Super Moderator

If you want to try shooting a USPSA or IDPA match shooting a DA revolver single action only, you will most likely come in last place. Bullseye or perhaps Silhouette shooting might be that exception.

Banned
    I just went to the Robertson Trading Post webpage and looked at the model 10-10 they are offering for $269. That's not a bad deal.
    There was a time when the market was flooded with police trade-ins and the model 10 could be found in the $100 range. Those days are over but those Canadian Model 10's look pretty good at that price. Your getting a pre-lock, K-frame that was only exposed to 38 Special rounds. The gun was likely only fired a couple of times per year during qualifications and cleaned after each use.

I've had a bunch of 38 Special LE trade-in model 10's and 64's over the years. They tend to be a little rough on the outside and nearly perfect on the inside. I can't say the same thing for the .357 mag 13/19/65/66 models. If I was in the market for a 38 Special 4" K-frame, I would buy one of those Canadian trade-ins sight unseen.

Boolit Master

I'm in the same camp as Dubber. I have come to shoot DA better than SA with Smith revolvers. I can "stage" the trigger and hold it there all day if I had to. I have come to like the feeling of shooting DA better than SA. Better groups and more consistency is my thing. No grip geometry change either - just point and squeeze.

Those 64s look nice. I do believe I am good on .38 wheelguns though.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy

The homely S&W Model 10 with 4" barrel was THE police revolver for the first half of the 20th century for some very good reasons - it was - and is - tough, accurate, and compact. There's nothing to worry about, remember, or fiddle with - just haul it out and pull the trigger.

I just gotta jump in here. I absolutely love my Model 10 - no Dash. 5". Great plinker at the range. Gun will get a lot of use next spring as I recover from shoulder surgery. I have acquired a ton of 38spl cases and they do seem to last forever. I like clean guns and scrubbing out the cylinders of my GP-100 & 686 after a session of 38spl gets old quick. The Model 10 of course does not suffer from that malady.

You can thank out ******* Liberals for those Montreal Police guns heading your way. Aside from 4" barreled guns being "Prohibitive" firearms the Firearms Act also prohibits the sale of government issued firearms to the general Canadian public. Their god fearing conscience has no problem selling the baby killers into the US though. Ah life in the Great White North. We lost a Abbotsford Constable to a shooter up here this week. Just another example as how are stupid gun laws are preventing drug dealers getting hold of guns. Good luck your way...at least you have the 2nd Amendment. Sorry for the time shift but I do love the Model 10 revolver. Glad they are going to gun enthusiasts in the US as opposed to the melting pot.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 11-10-2017 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Language Censor Violation
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Based off the OP I was in the same situation where I was looking for a 38 plinker. Not really wanting to spend 500 or so on something I was not going to clean after every outing I went this way.
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+Alloy+Frame+B
    Was really looking for a 357 but this fit the bill. Right out of the box I figured I would put it through a torturer test and just shoot it until it stopped. If it wasn't for a hot load that went down the pipe and bent the cheap blast shield above the forcing cone it would have went longer before cleaning (felt guilty). Anyway a little tap here and there the little shield is straight and off we go. I have probably put 4-5000 through this thing and its only been cleaned three times working on the fourth as on of the chambers is getting dirty and I have to help a round in. So I have to tap the pins that hold this and that back in once in awhile but for 3 bills I could have asked for anything else. One last thing with my load I worked up the thing is an absolute tack driver. Guaranteed the best 300 I ever spent.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    ...I absolutely love my Model 10 - no Dash. 5"...You can thank out $%^$^#@# Liberals for those Montreal Police guns heading your way. Aside from 4" barreled guns being "Prohibitive" firearms the Firearms Act also prohibits the sale of government issued firearms to the general Canadian public. Their god fearing conscience has no problem selling the baby killers into the US though. Ah life in the Great White North...Good luck your way...at least you have the 2nd Amendment. Sorry for the time shift but I do love the Model 10 revolver. Glad they are going to gun enthusiasts in the US as opposed to the melting pot. Take Care Bob
    I don't know if any have ever been released surplus, probably were recycled into Ottawa man hole covers and fire hydrants, but in the late 1980s Ruger made a run of 5" Police Service Six revolvers, IIRC .38 Specials, which I believe went to the RCMP. Most were blued, but IIRC there were some stainless revolvers destined for the Pacific coast and Atlantic maritime provinces. I was at the Newport, NH plant when these were being turned out, and they were probably the best DA revolvers that Ruger ever built. The Canadian Forces and RCMP QARs who supervised the final assembly, proofing and final acceptance inspection of those revolvers were highly knowledgable and thoroughly professional. As the company's QA manager at the time it was a real pleasure to work with competent people who really understood the mechanics of revolvers and knew their business. Much different than the French bean counters and the India reps who were more interested in shopping trips to send goodies home...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Good to know. After the Montreal Massacre where all the female engineering students got shot the Conservative Gov'y passed some anti gun legislation to quell the unwashed masses. I believe the legislation they passed affected the sale of surplus forearms to the Canadian public. I know in 1968 I bought a Webley 38spl from the Edmonton City Police. I knew a Sargent back then who arranged the selection and sale to me. That was then and this is now so not much point in reflecting back on what once was. Good to hear our folks were professional. I will watch for those Rugers on our equipment exchange.

Thanks for the info.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 11-09-2017 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Commas and Periods
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

I just noticed in this thread, Lloyd Smalle has been banned. Would asking why get me banned, too?
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Go to his profile and read his last post. I suspect it was what got him banned. Unless he posted something afterward and the post got removed.

Banned
    Ruger Security Six. Cheaper and more rugged than any S&W, Colt or Tarus.

OR this one: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...s_id/411539731

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345