Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plastic bottles

Boolit Master

Picking nits

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I don't KNOW this to be the case, but the degradation may occur when the plastic is exposed to uV light in the presence of oxygen. Once you empty the bottle, it's exposed to air, which is like 28% oxygen. When you refill it, the degradation products go into solution in the replaced water? Just a thought.

Picking Nits on air make up:

78.09% nitrogen
    20.95% oxygen
    0.93% argon
    0.04% carbon dioxide
    and small amounts of other gases.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Have no dog in this fight but just want to ask a simple question . . . .

If the plastic is so bad for you . . . then why hasn't our government that wants to run our lives and "protect" us all banned the plastic bottles? Let's see - bad for health . . . don't break down for millions of years . .. and I seem to see quite a few of 'em along the side of the road where they either get thrown out or they blow out of the back of a pick up whose owner just tosses them in the back when done with the bottle. If it is supposed to be so "pure" and "good for you" over your own well water, then why do they allow "municipal water" - yea, I know, municipalities have to pass minimum tests for purity but let's face it - municipal water can have a lot of bad things in it. Don't believe it? Google "Flint Michigan".

Seems like the "guvment" would have been all over this during the previous Administration that lasted eight Looooooong years, especially since the were so "green". Funny how the tree huggers didn't have a problem with Obamacare was passed and it required at least one piece of paper be sent to every taxpayer in the country that was used to prove that you either had or didn't have health insurance so they could collect the "fine" if hey didn't - I didn't see too many folks upset about how many trees it took to make the paper for that form?

So if the plastic bottles are so bad - and I'm not saying they are or aren't - but if they are then what about the thousands lying along the roadways and the millions that end up in the landfills every year - 'cause let's face it, they all don't get "recycled". Are they leeching bad chemicals back in to the ground that could contaminate the ground water?

Personally, I don't like the taste of bottled water - I'd much prefer to drink from the tap but then I drank from many hoses as well when I was a kid . . . not to mention the tin cup that was chained to the pump on the farm that everyone drank from. Kind of really makes me wonder why I'm not dead yet?

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    We refill aluminum beer containers. Don't take them with you while your driving LOL
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Plastic and garden hoses only cause Cancer in California..Just read the label.

Banned
    I was told many years ago to keep ALL plastic beverage containers out of the sun to slow down contamination.

Boolit Master
    I have a lot more important things to think about than a water bottle.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    I would like to know how water in a sealed container gets "old"? The 16-20 oz bottles are great way to take water to a duck blind. Way better than drinking water that ducks poop in. One bottle usually last a season. As for government protecting us. Cigarette smoke is supposed to be killing us but I can buy cigarettes anywhere. Makes me wonder about the Surgeon General's report.

In Remembrance
    Unless it has changed, bottled water is THE only product sold for human consumption that is unregulated by the government.

When they first came out with it, I figured it was a big time fad, nobody would buy it, boy was I wrong. To date I do not think I have ever bought a bottle of it, I do buy distilled water for my trucks though. lol

Speaking of containerize water, when the local Civil Defense shelters on the university campus were emptied out - they sold the candy, canned crackers, water cans, large water containers and everything else, through the campus surplus store. The crackers were great. Almost matzah, but with flavor. The containers were nifty for storage. The candy that wasn't sold was given out by the near by cities for Halloween.
    The canned water cans were half full. Half full. Roughly 25 years in storage and the leak proof cans had lost half the water. I don't trust anything for true long term water storage.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    This is only my opinion, so don't take it as fact.
    If you refill a plastic water bottle, the companies who sell filled water bottles lose a sale. Naturally they don't want you refilling the bottles, and will do anything to dissuade you from doing it.
    /\/\/\/\/\ ......
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Small amounts of benzene can be released from plastic that is in the sun. The amounts are so low I doubt they are harmful. I do notice the taste between glass, and plastic in drinks that have alcohol, or acids. People who have tasted bottled milk know what milk should taste like, but like many things that is in the past for the most part.

If concerned use a glass bottle for sun tea instead of plastic.

Boolit Master

OMG! We played Alamo and Army in the suburbs. We didn't have a creek or spring so we made a spring using a GARDEN HOSE and Gulf Coast "gumbo" mud. We drank from it! So many years later I'm alive with no ailments. How did that happen?
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    OMG! We played Alamo and Army in the suburbs. We didn't have a creek or spring so we made a spring using a GARDEN HOSE and Gulf Coast "gumbo" mud. We drank from it! So many years later I'm alive with no ailments. How did that happen?
    How did it happen? No plastic bottles to drink from back then, prolly...

Just joshin around. It's early here. And I have a strange sense of humor to some.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I look at it this way, in the recent news was this story about a guy that was 106 yrs old and smoked 12, ya 12 cigars a DAY. His doc said his lungs were fine. So, when am I going to die of plastic bottle disease? I just don't care, God already knows the number of my days and that is good enough for me.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12