Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic bottles

Boolit Master

Plastic bottles

The companies who sell bottled water tell us not to refill them because the plastic will degrade and make the water harmful to drink. My question is, does the plastic only degrade after you open the cap the first time? Does anyone know what the truth is?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

The water in the bottle started picking up chemicals with the original fill. And bottled water sold on sale is usually "old" and already has chemicals in the water.
    Always check the expectation date.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I think selling bottled water is one of the biggest rip offs I have ever seen for most instances. My missus disagrees, since she buys them, but mostly on sale.. I can see the use of it as a water supply in catastrophes, but not so much for just buying to get a drink of water. It is a convenience thing IMO. Folks just don't carry thermoses & canteens, etc much anymore for some reason. I still do, so perhaps that jades me.

I might also add ( or maybe "admit") that I re-use water bottles that the missus buys, by filling them with water from the tap, and sometimes I add some flavorings. I like to keep one on the nightstand by the handgun for those middle of the night thirsts. Capped to keep it somewhat fresh & help prevent spillage if I bump it.

Anyway, I have not died from refilling them yet though, but perhaps, as you can see from my posts, that sometimes it may have had some effect on my brain.Well.... Gotta go now, these tremors & twitches & blurry vision I am having right now are getting more active. I think I need to go get a drink of water. What were we talking about anyway?

P.S. -
    The group tested 10 different bottled water brands. ... The bottled water industry acknowledged something many consumers don't realize: Up to 45 percent of bottled water comes from municipal water supplies -- not springs. "I like to say purified water is more than just tap water in a bottle," Doss said Wednesday.Oct 16, 2008
    Have a look: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=6049308
    Last edited by JBinMN; 10-27-2017 at 06:51 PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

Nestle "Pure" brand is from municipal water supplies. Dasani and Aquafina, the two best selling brands, are also from municipal water sources. If people don't check the labels that's on them.

Boolit Master
    Tap water here makes me ill.I can tolerate a small cup full,but for regular drinking I have to have it filtered. Even my coffee water. Bottled water I get from the hospital. I mostly drink Gatorade and coffee.
    Last edited by Tom W.; 10-27-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Costco's Kirkland bottled water is cheaper than the municipal water here in O Fallon. And the Municipal water tastes like swap scum water in the spring and summer and like pesticides in fall and winter. The date on the Kirkland bottles is for determining the date the bottle will start to fall apart, or so they say.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

I thought plastic was evil and would not deteriorate for 10 million years.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

We keep a few cases on hand for emergency use. My area is prone to use storms, and power can be knocked out for weeks. I'm on a well, so an emergency supply is crucial.

We do rotate the cases out, but I pay little attention to expiration dates. I figure, it's water, how can it expire ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I think selling bottled water is one of the biggest rip offs I have ever seen for most instances. My missus disagrees, since she buys them, but mostly on sale.. I can see the use of it as a water supply in catastrophes, but not so much for just buying to get a drink of water. It is a convenience thing IMO. Folks just don't carry thermoses & canteens, etc much anymore for some reason. I still do, so perhaps that jades me.

I might also add ( or maybe "admit") that I re-use water bottles that the missus buys, by filling them with water from the tap, and sometimes I add some flavorings. I like to keep one on the nightstand by the handgun for those middle of the night thirsts. Capped to keep it somewhat fresh & help prevent spillage if I bump it.

Anyway, I have not died from refilling them yet though, but perhaps, as you can see from my posts, that sometimes it may have had some effect on my brain.Well.... Gotta go now, these tremors & twitches & blurry vision I am having right now are getting more active. I think I need to go get a drink of water. What were we talking about anyway?

P.S. -

Have a look: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=6049308
    Isn't it a coincidence that "Evian" is Naïve" spelled backwards?

I always drink out of the tap. We're on a well here, but even before that I did. Only place I ever drank bottled water was in the middle east and brother, you don't want to drink tap water there.

People who drink bottled water are kidding themselves.

Boolit Master
    I did a lot of research on this. for a man bottled water in plastic is the worst thing he can drink.it kills testosterone and adds estrogen to your system. no matter the age. if the bottle is exposed to sunlight or heat the plastic starts to leach. heating food or drink in the microwave in plastic is just as bad or worse.

Boolit Master
    I can't drink water from the tap so we installed a filter on the faucet. They have built so many houses in the area the aquifer is almost pumped dry and tastes gross but they keep handing out building permits. Money does speed up the process.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I did a lot of research on this. for a man bottled water in plastic is the worst thing he can drink.it kills testosterone and adds estrogen to your system. no matter the age. if the bottle is exposed to sunlight or heat the plastic starts to leach. heating food or drink in the microwave in plastic is just as bad or worse.
    Better lay off the beer also. The hops in beer is estrogenic and is even being researched as a treatment for menopausal women.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Well I admit it, I'm addicted to flavored bottled water.

Used to be a big Aquafina buyer, mostly berry. Then they disappeared off the shelves, came back with some carbonated product which I won't buy. Then those went away.

I'd like to see the old product come back.

I try to limit myself to one a day. But at even one a day the empty's pile up.

So I have been periodically bleaching them, rinsing them, refill with cold municipal tap water. Stack them in boxes, porch, basement, box in each car, back deck. We have water all over. And a small mountain of empty's.

Lately it has been back to Propell water. Black cherry mostly, although the lemon and manderin orange flavors are not bad either.

I figure if the power goes out each of those bottles is going to mighty handy to have on hand. Call me silly, if I am staring death in the face because of no power, thus no water. You think I'm going to care about possible chemical's from the PET bottles in the water?

People can choose to worry about whatever they like. Me I don't think I'll lose much sleep over my water bottles.

Like JBinMn I have a big selection of Dassani drops and other flavors. We also have one of those big 5 gallon jug water dispensors, hot and cold next to the fridge. I often add some flavor, maybe 2/3rds of a teaspoon of sugar and fill it with fresh cold water.

We don't buy the water jugs. I did some looking when we first got the unit. Found a home water filter unit and 2 activated charcoal filters for about 25$. Plumbed it in down in the basement with garden hose and ball valve. And a short hose on the output side, with a copper 90 at the end. That just snaps into the hole in the top of the jug. I always flush the lines into the sump pump just to keep the garden hose rubber flavor out.

Run it till the sump pump kicks in. My wife prefers my elcheapo water to every other water she has tried. Been almost a year, still on the first filter. Might have to think about changing it come spring. We do have 2 5 gallon jugs of store bought, just in case.

I have to admit I use the hot water to make my coffee every morning. Fill my cup, pour it into my Aeropress. Stick the plunger in and let it steep for 30 seconds while I cream and sugar my cup. Then run it through and pour it into my cup. Real easy, no waiting, does not seem to add much to the power bill.

Ours is a Primo and we are very happy with it.

Last edited by GhostHawk; 10-27-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Some plastics use BPA in the formula. Some bottled products state "NO BPA". Do an internet search for BPA and read for youself. That will allow you to decide what is BEST for you and not rely on a bunch of lead slingers to advise about your health.

I drink bottled water and have for over 20 years with no problems! Our tap water is 1600uMohs (hard as a nail) and tastes like c>>p. But the city meets the EPA requirements for potable drinking water. (Long O on the word potable)

Banger

Boolit Master
    My question is, does the plastic only degrade after you open the cap the first time? Does anyone know what the truth is?
    I don't KNOW this to be the case, but the degradation may occur when the plastic is exposed to uV light in the presence of oxygen. Once you empty the bottle, it's exposed to air, which is like 28% oxygen. When you refill it, the degradation products go into solution in the replaced water? Just a thought.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    There was a media thing a while back about drinking from plastic water bottles left in your auto that has heated up during the day. Bad for you !!!
    All the pallets of water bottles left in the SUN, in front of the convienence stores,then put into the coolers for you buy cold. Bad for you !
    The truck loads of plastic water bottles on pallets, trucked in the HOT SUN, heated like the inside of ur car, then put out for you to buy inside the air conditioned stores are BAD FOR YOU.
    Just another way to look at the water you drink in plastic bottles.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    The companies who sell bottled water tell us not to refill them because the plastic will degrade and make the water harmful to drink. My question is, does the plastic only degrade after you open the cap the first time? Does anyone know what the truth is?
    This is only my opinion, so don't take it as fact.
    If you refill a plastic water bottle, the companies who sell filled water bottles lose a sale. Naturally they don't want you refilling the bottles, and will do anything to dissuade you from doing it.

This ^ Exactly.

Well said sir.

But those empty bottles make good targets!
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Grand Master

You can only live a few days without water, whether from a tap, bottle or mud puddle. Make your choice and live with it.
    Did ya ever see what collects/grows inside your pipes? Look inside your toilet tank.
    Bottled water is less of a problem than soda or flavored water, in that there is acid (usually citric) in them that cleans the inside bottle surface of anything that water will absorbe.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast