Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 25-2 with .45 Auto Rim

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I ordered a Lee 255 grain .452 mold and a .454 sizer.
    All my other Lee molds cast a little wider.
    But if it doesn't cast to .454 , I will just lap out the mold a little.
    Now , does anyone have any suggestions on powders or loads for the heavier bullet in cast ?
    The only powder I am out of is Red Dot, but I mostly use Unique in my handgun loads
    In your 25-2, 4.5/Bulleye or 6.5/Unique both max.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Thank you.
    I have both powders

Section some "modern" .45 Auto Rim cases, .45 ACP cases, and a modern .44 mag case. I have some old .45 AR cases that are not so thick.
    Compare the thickness of the metal in the web, and at the base of the case above the web. The article in "Handloader" was spot on for .45 AR and Smith revolvers. Also, the cylinder is long or deep enough for longer and heavier bullets. Even when seated long.

Boolit Master
    I was able to get to the range yesterday andd fire the 25-2 for the first time.
    I was shooting a box of Blazer 230 gr .45 ACP.
    I could not even hit the target at 50 yards.
    The front sight is so low, that the pistol was hitting 2 1/2 feet high at 50 yards.But it was closer at 100 yards.
    The rear sight blade was also staked to the windage screw wrong, and the sight moved side to side after each firing.
    Well, I am going to fix all that.
    I have a new windage screw, and I will mill the front sight off since it was made for this gun as one piece with the ramp.
    Then I will mill the slot into it for a standard S&W front sight blade that is .060" taller for starters.
    Now I know why my friend wanted to Horse Trade it away, but he had got it in some trade deal also.
    I still think I got a good deal and otherwise like the pistol.

I have a couple 25-2s and a Colt NS 45acp. I have no doubt they will handle 45 GI ball type ammo
    safely. I use the for Wadcutter Target loads and would not put hard ball through any of mine. It
    is just fact that Jacketed bullets put more wear on forcing cone and bore than cast. My 25-2s are
    old enough to have pinned front blades.

Boolit Master
    My pistol was built in 1984, and I do not know if the original barrel had a pinned front sight blade, but bet it did.
    But when it was shortened it looks like someone made an intragal Ramp and front sight and attached it into a shallow slot milled on to the top of the barrel.
    But if I grind off the front blade sight, I can mill in the recess for the Factory blade and pin it like the other N frames that I have.
    But before I go to grinding, I will fix the rear sight windage adjuster.
    Then I will make the front sight taller with a form like I use to do Red Inserts in pistol sights.
    Build it up with JB Weld with Black Dye added.
    That way I can test fire it, then File it down to the height I need, then order or make the new front blade to the height I need for the rear sight set at the elevation I desire to get full adjustment to my needs.
    That way I will have a sight set up to be at Mid point adjustment, and be Zeroed on a target set at 50 yards.
    I should be able to lower the rear sight to be zero at 25 yards, and maybe be able to raise it up fully for a close to 100 yard zero.
    But that is all predicated on the trajectory of the .45 ACP or Auto Rim loadings.
    Yes, I like shooting handguns at longer distances then the standard 7 ,11 or 25 yard range for handguns.
    And I dont shoot off a rest. ( It just takes practice )

Boolit Master
    Sounds like it is an interesting piece...

As to the front sight being pinned....probably not. About half way through 1980 Smith started milling the entire front sight as one piece. I had an early 1980 and a late 1980 vintage 57s and the early one had the blade pinned to the base and the later one was one piece. Shortly thereafter they went to the non-pinned to the frame barrels. Apparently done as a cost cutting move, no one at Smith probably ever thought of the fact that a damaged front sight blade milled as one piece of the barrel would require a whole new barrel to be put on... Not sure when but Smith did go back to the pinned on front sight sometime after...

As to .45 ACP revolvers, have been shooting them since the 1970s. Loads with SR-4756 had to be seen to be believed...they easily matched .45 Super loads.

Most accurate bullet used was the 225 grain Speer JHP...

Bob

Boolit Master
    Thank you RJM52.
    I am going to use this pistol with Cast PC'ed boolits for the time being in the .45 Auto Rim cases.
    That way I can seat them out further, and eliminate some of that Jump to the barrel from the case mouth.
    I just cast up some Lee 255 FN , sized them to .454 and ECPC'ed them with Smokes Signal Blue.
    Going to load them up today and probably shoot them next weekend.
    I am going to start off with Unique, and found out that SR-4756 is one pouder I do not have any longer.
    Got plenty of SR 4759 for my rifles.
    The Rib in the barrel shoundnt be that hard to mill the slot in for a factory pinned sight, if it does come to that.
    But If I ever replace the barrel, I will install a longer 4" barrel because this is the Round Butt Model and It would look better with the short barrel rather than the 6" that originally came on the pistol.
    But that too would be another Custom Barrel job.

Boolit Grand Master

Going back in my data to 1974 I find that I was using a full 45 acp load in all my auto rim cases. This is straight from the lips of Elmer lord of the hand gun. Mine was a 6" and I shot it a lot.

Boolit Master
    I also like the #452423 bullet, unsized & powder coated using either WST or 231 powder. Jackrabbits don't care for it.

Dick

If that was my smith 25-2, it would get a new barrel. A snub 45 is intimidating without a shot being fired but it's a bit big carrying hidden. A buddy of mine has a 1989 model with a 5" barrel and that gun is a tac driver and wonderfully balanced.

Boolit Master
    I would love to rebarrel this one if I can get a barrel at a good price.
    My preferance in barrel lengths is 5"
    But they never made one in .45 ACP or .45 LC
    I have two S&W Victory models in 5" one in 38/200 and the other with a spare .38 Special cylinder , ( not the Bored thru version) and a S&W 27 with one of the last 5" barrels made after they discontinued them.
    The Victory with the .38 Cylinder shoots pretty good if you use "as cast" and powdercoated .359 boolits.
    Hay, I am old.
    I still prefer a revolver even though I own a bunch of Semi Autos

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Going back in my data to 1974 I find that I was using a full 45 acp load in all my auto rim cases. This is straight from the lips of Elmer lord of the hand gun. Mine was a 6" and I shot it a lot.
    I recall some 70's data saying 45AR loads used in the 1955 Target model could exceed ACP data slightly but warned not to use the same loads or data in 1917 models. I'm going on memory and could be wrong, 5.5 Bullseye with 230gr hardball.

Boolit Master
    I took the 25-2 out today.
    Last weel I changed the rear sight blade from the factory .146 to a .196.
    Well, that was too tall.
    I was hitting 12" high at 15 yards, and 3 feet high at 75 yards, with the rear sight screwed all the way down.
    I had ordered a .160 White Outline blade at the same time.
    I will change out the blade and see how it prints.
    My intention is to have the pistol sighted in at 15 Yards with the rear sight all the way down.
    That way I have full UP adjustment to hopefully get out to 100 yards with no hold over.
    The pistol grouped good at 15 Yards with a 230 gr Lee Tumble lubed cast RN with 5.5 gr of Unique.
    The load was light, and will be increased when I start shooting this gun at longer distances.
    I also shot some of the Auto Rim cases loaded with Lee 255 gr and Unique.
    They were sized to .454 for the cylinder, and one chamber you have to force them in when loading.
    That one might need some reaming to match the other chambers to make loading consistant.

But with the three rear blades, it gives me the option to find the one that is just a Smidge too Tall, and then file it to meet my sighting requirements.
    Last edited by LAGS; 11-26-2017 at 06:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    The 25-2 is a 45 ACP revolver designed to use the 'moon' clips, half, full, third so any REASONABLE (not +P?) 45 ACP cartridge can be used in the modern revolvers. The 1917 Colts and S&W's should be fine, the Enfields and Webleys were not built for the 45 ACP and should be loaded very conservatively. I too had a 25-2 with cylinder throats of .456, hard to find bullets and/or molds that would work so said good-bye, that was in the 80's.

Boolit Master
    I will Lap out a Lee Mold to the desired Diameter I need and Lap a Lee .454 push thru sizer to size them.
    But as cast and powdercoated they measured .455 and shot pretty good.
    Just that one chamber has a tight spot in the throat that makes it a little hard to drop the round in without adding just a little thumb pressure.
    I will change out the sight blade , ream the chamber a little and redo the Red ramp insert on the front sight .
    Then I will give an update.
    But this is more of a Combat Revolver than a target revolver like it was originally called.
    So I am not expecting 1" groups at 25 yards no mater what I do to it.
    Remember, the barrel was shortened to 2 3/4 by someone else.

Boolit Master
    I bought one that had a "Finger Print" near the end of the barrel. Light. Surplus, used threw Zanders. Bought all the reloading stuff for the barrel MARKED , .45 COLT. Imogen my surprise when I loaded 5 rounds and dropped the first shell into the cylinder and it didn't go in all the way. I looked at that shell for a couple of minutes. Tried again. Now I have been reloaded since lead shot days for me. I looked again. i sat and wondered what I had did wrong. Couldn't see a thing. All of a sudden a light came on. I went and got a .45 ACP. perfect. HMmmnnn. I remembered a "STORY" somewhere in all that reading years ago about some being ordered for Police Dept. in .45 ACP. i then wondered where that extra Cylinder was , IF AT ALL.. It is now with my Daughters father - in - law, to only be given to his son and mine when hes gone or done with it. All of my stuff is going to those 2 and their gals. Hopefully their kids will appreciate what they have coming down the road. he has one arm, but all ways wanted one. It now has MOON clips and .45 Auto rim shells.

Boolit Master
    Boys i could see the ridge in the cylinder and i kept thinking. "Boy that sure ain't very far down in there".

Boolit Master
    When I first got my hands on this pistol, I thought about taking it out to .45 LC or looking for a spare cylinder for it in .45 LC.
    But as short as this barrel is, all it would do is make more Noise and Flame then the .45 ACP or AR.
    I have a worn copy of the Original First issue of Handgun Magazine stashed around here somewher from way back in like 1976.
    It has in the very back an article about converting .45 ACP or .455's to .45 LC.
    It shows which models can be done, and what you have to do to make it work.
    I should have kept that copy of the magazine in mint condition.
    That might have been worth some money.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    I did not mention the Webley at all. Only the Smith 25.
    I believe the soft loadings in the manual reflect the so-called 'shaved Webleys'.
    since you are asking about the model 25, the 25 will handle all the 45acp/autorim loadings in your manual
    I have a 1917 S&W and I shoot 45acp straight up, it will headspace on the mouth and shoot, as well as autorim.
    I have tried some 'hot' autorim, and there just isnt much to gain - it is what it is.
    What you can do with the autorim, is shoot bullets other than naturally feeds in an autoloader. you can choose revolver profile nose and weights.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast