Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a lost M39 M. Nagant ??

Boolit Master

What to do with a lost M39 M. Nagant ??

What could I do with a lost M39 Finnish nagant?
    I lost it due to corrosive ammo, the bore is lost.
    The rest of it is pristine.
    Re-barrel it? then all the collectible proof markings are gone.
    Use it as a door stop?
    boat anchor?

JES has rebored a few of those over the years to various wildcats. A 35 caliber based on the 7,62x54R case has been done many times. It would a pretty cartridge if you fin the right load.
    Call JES and ask him if he will do it. For $225 it would be cheaper than a rebarrel.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    ^^^^^
    35 on this case is a good cartridge.

Boolit Master

if your worried about collector value, it has lost some due to the bore, but if you rebarrel, rebore or alter it in any way, it will loose all of its collector value.

Boolit Master
    You have to weigh your options.
    Is it worth more to you as a Matching Number Wall Hanger, or as a functional Shooter.
    If the rifle was not in the most pristine condition, but still shootable, I would leave it as it was and enjoy it for what it is.
    But if it is not safe to shoot, or just a waste of ammo to shoot, then by all means, Rebore or rebarrel it and live with it.
    We have to realize that the rifle did not destroy itself.
    It was lack of care that put it in the condition it is.
    That is the price we pay when we neglect what we later want to hold their value.

Contact John Taylor/Taylor Machine for a reline of the bore. You will still have a 7.62x54 rifle with a mint bore and perfect chamber. Cost way less than rebarrel and leaves the markings intact.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Last I heard, JES wont rebore any older military rifles dues to variances in metallurgy that was giving him fits in getting the bore finish he wants. I have a Swede I wanted done, and was told 'NO".

Boolit Master

The Finns themselves have about a dozen or so cartridges blown out or necked down for the Mosins.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

I know he said it was pristine but there are so many around what is the collector value really worth? No flames intended, just a question. I have one that I was given and was under the impression that they were not high dollar rifles.

Boolit Grand Master
    Taylor or Bob Hoyt for a reline.

Boolit Master
    You might try selling it as-is. Finnish Mosins are a whole different game from the Russian ones. thing I used to frequent a pawn shop that seemed to get more milsurp rifles than most. I looked at a lot of Enfields and Mosins that were great on the outside but had ruined bores. I think a lot of people just assume an old military rifle will have a rough bore. They all seemed to sell at some price.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You might try giving it a thorough cleaning with Brobst JB and Kroil and see how it shoots. I have a Finn M28/30 Civil Guards rifle which I got cheap because its former owner didn't like its "dark but strong" bore and I frequently beat him in 200-yard cast bullet military matches with his own former gun that he let go because he was sure that it wouldn;t shoot...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I vaguely remember Finn M39 barrels being available just a few years ago. Look around the net you might find one of these to restore the rifle to original condition.

As mentioned a bore that looks totaled by rust can be salvaged. I'd suggest finding a smith that knows how to lead lap a bore. A properly lead lapped bore will only be one or two thousandths larger in major diameter and lands won't be as affected by the process some grooves will be a bit deeper than when new. Finn bores are usually tighter than Russian bores any way.

You'll probably find that pits that look a mile deep are actually only a few tenths of a thousandth deep.
    It takes a great many years of neglect for a bore to become deeply pitted. A couple of years uncleaned in a closet won't do irreparable damage.

Boolit Master
    Your options seem endless... If it were mine, I would rebarrel with a very cast friendly bore. I like wide lands and deep grooves ...or you could even have a 2 groove made for it to shoot bore riders...

I also wonder about a 45/70 conversion....I know it would be a single shot but again you could have the bore you want....maybe .451 and shoot hot long Colt loads????

"In every difficulty there is an opportunity..."

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    ...but there are so many around what is the collector value really worth?
    About $400 unless it's a Finnish M39 Nagant Sniper Rifle - Superb Condition ... $ 1,150
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    True, the collector value may not be there, but,
    This rifle has (had) the qualities I really like about a rifle, that is, :
    a good trigger, and good sights. this has them both.
    add to that the bulgarian silver tip ammo that shoots so well in this gun., I got spam cans of it
    This was a for real dandy steel gong ringer, if there ever was one.
    I guess that is the lost value vs the collector value.

So how does it group ? I have an old Enfield that the bore looks like a sewer pipe, groups well enough to collect several X's at CMP matches

Boolit Master
    I've a Finn m39 that was shot with corrosive ammo and never properly cleaned and sat in a closet for about ten years. When it was given to me soon as I saw the rust on the front of the bolt head I knew it was a lost cause. Started cleaning the barrel and it felt like a gravel road. no sign of lands or grooves. Worst part it was all matching and outside was in beautiful condition. Frank

If the barrel is truly shot out/rusted, and you like the rifle otherwise, rebarrel it.
    That's probably not its original barrel anyhow since the Finns reused Russian hex receivers for all their rifles.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If the barrel is truly shot out/rusted, and you like the rifle otherwise, rebarrel it.
    That's probably not its original barrel anyhow since the Finns reused Russian hex receivers for all their rifles.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Yeah, but all the markings match a correctly arsenal re-finished gun, of that era.
    If I rebarrel now, it would be an american re-do job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast