Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey with a handgun, suggestions?

Boolit Buddy

Turkey with a handgun, suggestions?

I may have an opportunity to do a handgun turkey hunt next year, Im looking for suggestions on caliber/bullet suggestions.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BKS View Post
    I may have an opportunity to do a handgun turkey hunt next year, Im looking for suggestions on caliber/bullet suggestions.
    If I could turkey hunt with a pistol in
    My state I would be looking for a
    22 hornet barrel for my Contender
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    .38 special wadcutter
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

I'm with LuckyDawg all the way on the Contender but, at handgun distances, have found the .22 Hornet awfully destructive on crows and gopher-size critters. Looking at my on-hand barrels, I'd probably go with the 7TCU or 30-30, either one loaded with a PC'd flat point in the 120-130 gr. range.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

not on the allowed methods here so i've never really thought about it.

with what i have on hand, i'd follow an above suggestion and use a good weighted flat in a 38spl or 357mag case.

i don't have too much to choose from as far as handgun hunting.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    .45 Colt with factory. Blows a large hole but doesn't destroy much meat. .45 ACP with a 200gr. LSWC, or LRNFP at ~900 f/s would also probably work.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    a ruger single six in .32 mag. using .32 long brass with the 98 gr. semi wad cutter.

ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine loaded down to .32-20 levels.

I've used the .32 H&R, .38 spl, .41 mag,.45acp, and.54 round ball on called in turkeys. My favorite is the .45/200gr swc it seems.

Boolit Master

Only one I've killed was at 25ish yds with 45colt cast. Worked well, eat up to the hole. Not sure about which bullet I used, but it was in my RCBS 270 SAA days (which are not gone) so it was probably that one, but wt really is not an issue with 45 colt on birds- accuracy is.

Boolit Bub
    Nowadays would probably choose an accurate but tough for the caliber bullet in the hornet. Although once upon a time the grand old 30-30 did the job when a random opportunity came around and presented an unexpected shot at a nice goobler

Boolit Grand Master
    of the guns I have. I think the 327. Single Seven would get the vote, but any mid power boolit of 100-200 grains should turn the trick.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Well. . .the British Commonwealth forces used the .455 Webley MKVI on enemies FROM Turkey. . .

This really sounds like a job for a low velocity, low- or no-expansion flat-nose solid. Any accurate 4-6" duty revolver loaded soft, a 1911 with Bullseye SWC's, your .44 Mag loaded with Keiths and light charges. . .take your pick.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Vendor Sponsor

Turkeys can be hard to kill if you don't break their spine or neck. I would shoot for the neck pocket, right below the beard, head on shot.

I was deer hunting in Prince Edward forest in Virginia one year, and I saw a turkey flying dead level just above the treetops, a full 8" of his head and neck hanging down and swinging. I didn't hear a shot close by, watched it go out of sight several hundred yards away, still flying. Beats anything I have ever seen in all the years of hunting.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Ditto for the "neck" shot.Turkey are legal here with rifle...visualize where the neck is just inside the crop....a hit even close will normally put him down but you may need run and make sure he don't get up and run off....don't ask how I know this.Mostly used .223 with nonfrangible bullets but a .40 S&W carbine shooting a truncated cone bullet did in the last one.I'd say ANY handgun you can hit a small target with will get it done

Turkey with a handgun? Get a tag, shoot that sucker, and keep his pistol.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Colt Walker with 60g FFg and a round ball..... Smoked turkey??
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Well. . .the British Commonwealth forces used the .455 Webley MKVI on enemies FROM Turkey. . .

This really sounds like a job for a low velocity, low- or no-expansion flat-nose solid. Any accurate 4-6" duty revolver loaded soft, a 1911 with Bullseye SWC's, your .44 Mag loaded with Keiths and light charges. . .take your pick.
    An accurate .455 would to the job ON turkey as well... Years ago I took one with a .457 round ball and 40 grs. of 3Fg from my Ruger Old Army and you could eat right up to the bullet hole.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

If I didn't have a suitable handgun already I'd consider a 6 to 8 3/8" barreled .357 revolver (SA or DA, whichever you're comfortable with) with a Burris Fast Fire III mounted on it. I'd load it with well cast 158 RNs to 950 - 1050 fps looking for best accuracy at 50 yards. I'd zero at 50 yards and practice out to 100 yards using shooting sticks from a sitting position. I would want to put the bullet through the top of the breast area in the triangle formed by the base of the throat to the wing (shoulder if you will) joints.

I already know that works very well with standard 38 SPL LRN 158s out of a 5" M15 S&W. Marvelous on grouse too!
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    30 carbine.

or maybe 700 nitro express.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I don't see myself ever becoming a turkey hunter unless we are allowed to use a rifle here in Kentucky. Maybe I'm lazy, but I just don't have any interest in getting camoed up and calling one into shotgun range. Seems like alot of work when I could take one rather easily with a .309 113 grain or .358 125 grain LFP from one of my lever actions. If I wasn't so darn law abiding I would have easily taken a big gobbler that I stumbled into while setting up a deer feeder last week.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast