WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turkey with a handgun, suggestions?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I don't see myself ever becoming a turkey hunter unless we are allowed to use a rifle here in Kentucky. Maybe I'm lazy, but I just don't have any interest in getting camoed up and calling one into shotgun range. Seems like alot of work when I could take one rather easily with a .309 113 grain or .358 125 grain LFP from one of my lever actions. If I wasn't so darn law abiding I would have easily taken a big gobbler that I stumbled into while setting up a deer feeder last week.
    There is nothing like the rush of calling in a Turkey into Shotgun or Bow range you should try it at least once
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm sure I will sometime, it's just not a priority.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

We're only allowed to use shotguns or archery on turkeys here. I have a very long barreled single six in .32 H&R I'd probably use if it were me. I would think a long barreled .38 revolver using wadcutters would be excellent.

Same here. I may give archery a try sometime as I just got a new bow I really like and our season for both deer and turkey is pretty long.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Super Moderator

Back when my eyesight was still sharp, I would use my OM Ruger Single Six in 22 Magnum with solids for turkeys. I would need a red dot or something now.

Apparently, hunting turkey with rifles and pistols is pretty normal and accepted out west. Around here, most people equate it to the nineteenth century carnage of punt guns and shooting bison from trains.

Banned

Apparently, hunting turkey with rifles and pistols is pretty normal and accepted out west. Around here, most people equate it to the nineteenth century carnage of punt guns and shooting bison from trains.
    I don't hunt turkeys, but may start sometime. Honestly, Kansas has so darned many of them, I can't for the life of me see how they can justify charging almost as much for a turkey tag as they do for a deer tag. A certain place on Fort Riley where I used to take my sons to deer hunt had a large flock that would come in and roost around us where we were sitting wearing blaze orange. I nearly stepped on a big tom walking in there once, flushed him like a quail. If I ever take it up, I bet I won't see one for miles, LOL.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Turkey with a handgun? Get a tag, shoot that sucker, and keep his pistol.
    That's funny right there!

Banned
    blunderbuss

Last edited by Grmps; 11-08-2017 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I don't hunt turkeys, but may start sometime. Honestly, Kansas has so darned many of them, I can't for the life of me see how they can justify charging almost as much for a turkey tag as they do for a deer tag. A certain place on Fort Riley where I used to take my sons to deer hunt had a large flock that would come in and roost around us where we were sitting wearing blaze orange. I nearly stepped on a big tom walking in there once, flushed him like a quail. If I ever take it up, I bet I won't see one for miles, LOL.
    As far as tag prices go, it's probably just what they think people are willing to spend. Whatever they spend on studying and managing a particular species figures in also. Here in Kentucky at least, you are exempt from most tag and license requirements if hunting on land where you reside.

Moderator Emeritus

I think the statute of limitations is up but we ate well at an antelope camp when someone put 3 sage hens down with a 38 special. The bullet was the 358311 158 gr rn and the season was open, but it wasn't a shot gun. Where you shoot is much more important than what you shoot.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Strangely enough, it is perfectly legal to shoot non-migratory game birds other than Turkey with a rifle here.

Hunting with a iron sighted handgun is as sporting as a scoped 3-1/2" 12 ga; maybe more so. Heavily populated areas tend to require shotguns. We all have hunting predjudices- around here hunting deer with dogs is considered bad form and illegal but in some of those shotgun/turkey circles- it's high sport.
    My opinion.
    Best, Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12