Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: #0000 in 12 gauge

#0000 in 12 gauge

I just recieved A mold that casts as far as I can measure .372" ball.
    Does anyone use this size ball as buckshot in their 12 gauge?
    If so do you have any load recommendations?
    I have at my bench 2.75" gun club hulls, gold medal hulls, federal paper base wads, and cheddite. I have waa12, waa12f114, waa12R, 12s3, 12s4 and sp12 wads.
    I have universal, 700x, hs-6 and longshot powder.
    Any suggestions for assembling a load with these components?

Boolit Master
    I am not an authority, but if it were me & I was going to try this. I would figure out how many I could fit into the shell to fit somewhat "stacked" like ya do with other large pellets, and weigh that load/amount of pellets to see where it lands in the weight categories for 12ga.. For example, if it weighs 1oz. even, then I would start with the low pressure loads for 1oz. loads of shot in your manual(s), using the other components listed, then work up if I thought necessary, but not to exceed max pressure for the shell/firearm. If it was 1oz. 1/8 then I would start there & so on.

G'luck! in your experiments if ya do any & please keep folks informed of your progress.

At the least, "I" would like to know, out of pure curiosity in what ya do find out.

ETA: You may have to use some sort of "wad spacer" to make the load fit to the length shell once you stack. I forgot to mention that before. just something to keep in mind.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 10-26-2017 at 09:50 PM. Reason: forgot something.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I will be casting some up tomorrow and check their fit. Hoping the will sit side by side comfortably in a cheddite hull. I have a 3/4" punch that I can make cork wads with to adjust my column hight if needed.
    Should be a fun experiment. I will post my results as they come

Boolit Mold
    I have been playing around with the ones from my doit mold, in gun clubs they fit ok with the waa12r petals removed but seem to fit and shoot better out of a federal hull same configuration. the gas seal will work in the fed hull but to tight in the gun club. best result so far was 3" fed black cloud hull, ob12, 1/2" fw, 10 pellet =1 7/8 oz data. for 2 3/4" I use 8 pellets and 1 1/2 oz data. you should weigh your pellets

Boolit Master
    for get the shotcups and use old fiber stuff

I have a few loaded up havnt had a chance to shoot them yet. One load is with 6 pellets in a gold medal hulls. Used a 12s4 wad petals cut off, with a thin cork wad under the pellets. 17 grains of 700x to launch it. Crimp is nice and the hull isn't dimpled from the buckshot
    Next load is 8 pellet gold medal hull gas seal from 12s4 wad, 1/4" felt wad, thin card wad and 32 grains of blue dot.
    Winter has decided to come to the kootenays early this year so might be a while till I get out and try them.
    How do those loads sound to you gents?

Oh ya and my pellets weigh average 73 g from my alloy

Boolit Master
    I have a .380" Lee two cavity I make 0000 Buck with . I've not tried it in a 12 gauge but it does very well in a 10 gauge 2 7/8" hull . Although to get eight pellets stacked correctly I need to remove the petals from the REM SP-10 wad and in the place of the petals I use a .003" Mylar wrap . Doing that I can get two per layer and four layers with Grex buffer . I do the same thing with 00000 Buck (.395") but only get six per shell .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines