Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Mihec's new 358-180 load development

Boolit Buddy

Mihec's new 358-180 load development

When this bullet is seated in the crimp groove, he OAL is too long in either the 38spc or the 357 mag. Can I maintain 357 performance if I use 38spc brass in my sp101? My only other option is to do a lot of case trimming. Or can I seat the boolit deeper and crimp on the ogive? I hope to put this great looking boolit into action this weekend.

BTW, I plan on approaching a load close to 12.5 yrs H110 in my sp101. The 38spc case has enough capacity, but didn't know if it would handle the pressure.
    Last edited by Schreck5; 10-26-2017 at 06:23 PM.

What's gonna happen when somebody puts one of those in a S&W M10?

The 38 Spl. case will handle just as much pressure as a .357 case, but there are other issues to consider.

I think a better plan would be to seat the bullet in a .357 case to whatever OAL will work for you and taper crimp. No need for the crimp groove.

I'm not familiar with that particular bullet, but is it possible that it was designed to be used in a gun with a longer cylinder than your SP101?

Proceed with caution and good luck!
    Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Buddy
    Point well taken. In fact my father HAS a Model 10! I will NOT use the 38spc cases loaded that hot. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    If I seated the boolit deeper, could I use a taper crimp with magnum level recipes?

Boolit Buddy
    I load for a GP100 and if you can get the OAL to 1.635" it will fit. Not really familiar with the bullet you are using.

I'm A Honcho!
    I had the same concern. I use the Lee Collett Crimp die to crimp where it chambers easily. I crimped in the groove and had zero clambering issues in pistol or rifle.

Your H110 load is low for that bullet. Max is 14 grains.

Mine are powdercoated in clear, plain base loaded with small rifle primers in mixed 357 magnum brass. They weight is a very consistent 187 grains.

FWIW, by the time you get the flash, boom and soot to go away using a powder like H110, 300 MP or Lil Gun youre going to be splitting 38 special brass.

I would suggest sticking to AA9, 2400 for 38 special case use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	206729
    Last edited by bluejay75; 10-27-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Schreck5 View Post
    When this bullet is seated in the crimp groove, he OAL is too long in either the 38spc or the 357 mag. Can I maintain 357 performance if I use 38spc brass in my sp101? My only other option is to do a lot of case trimming. Or can I seat the boolit deeper and crimp on the ogive? I hope to put this great looking boolit into action this weekend.

BTW, I plan on approaching a load close to 12.5 yrs H110 in my sp101. The 38spc case has enough capacity, but didn't know if it would handle the pressure.

Is the OAL too long for the cylinder or too long based on SAAMI OAL specs? Huge difference here. Based on your comment, I'm lead to believe your comparing to SAAMI specs. But I could be mistaken.

If you can load it in the cylinder with it crimped in the crimp groove, shoot it.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 10-27-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    OAL in well within specs. The ogive is too fat and hits the cylinder throat too soon. After much reading I do not want to trust deep-seating with a taper crimp with these heavy boolits and 12-14 grs. of H110.

Here is my next idea...what about sizing only the ogive by running it nose first through a .354-.355 die, stopping before it hits the driving bands?

Boolit Bub
    If you seated them long in .38 brass, would that perhaps preclude them chambering in dad's M10? IIRC, Skeeter Skelton had a fair number of loads done exactly this way with .357 level performance.

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schreck5 View Post
    OAL in well within specs. The ogive is too fat and hits the cylinder throat too soon. After much reading I do not want to trust deep-seating with a taper crimp with these heavy boolits and 12-14 grs. of H110.

Here is my next idea...what about sizing only the ogive by running it nose first through a .354-.355 die, stopping before it hits the driving bands?
    Even at 14 grains you wont be compressed with the H110 load and I bet you get a good load sooner than I will. My issue is that I have pierced primers at 14 grains of H110, but its the most accurate load with the 180 cast boolit in 357 for me. So Im crossing my fingers and hoping that the accuracy doesnt fall apart beyond 14 and I get no flash, boom or soot and SD moves from twenties and teens to singles.

So you may fix the load density issue by loading a little deeper and not going to thicker primers and more powder or the extra step of resizing the nose of the bullet. The diameter of the bullet allows for deeper seating.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.

Boolit Master
    I have a WFN bullet that has a fat ogive and has problems in my GP100 using .357 brass. I trimmed a box of brass back a smidgen - basically split the difference between 38 and .357 and now the rounds work just fine.

Just make sure to mark the box because you need to adjust your dies when a bit when reloading.

Boolit Grand Master

How about a trip to Doug guy?

I'm A Honcho!
    Gents,

15 grains of H110 put 6 of 10 in one hole with 4 fliers bringing the group to 1.5 inches at 100 yards. No pressure signs. I was leery about going this high, but its still not compressed. Shot with a Ruger 77/357, stock+ bolt shimmed. 13.5, 14, 14.5 shot 2.5-3.

Bluejay