RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: When to Lube and What to Use

Boolit Bub

When to Lube and What to Use

I'm still pretty much a noob at casting. Have been using a 6 cavity Lee for RN .45 ACP, lubed some with LLA, and some with just JPW......I'm liking the JPW since it's not as messy as the LLA. I've cast about a 1000, and lubed about 250 with JPW.......how long with the JPW lube stand up? I seem to remember reading in a post about JPW become brittle with age, can I lube with JPW now and it still be viable 6 months or a year from now? If not if I want to pre-lube is there something else I should use?

I used LLA for a couple of years and then switched to JPW. I have bullets lubed with JPW up to 2 years ago in my stockpile and have not noticed a problem with it becoming brittle. My current recipe for tumble lubing is a dollop of JPW with 2 smidgens of LLA added for texture. To be more precise the mixture is about 95% JPW/5% LLA. I'm no benchrest shooter I just shoot for pleasure. This mixture works for me in handgun loads up to about 1200fps and longgun loads up to about 1600fps. I think the JPW cuts down the gunky mess of the LLA, and the LLA helps the JPW from becoming brittle over time. All these results were unscientifically tested to conform with T.R.B.P. standards(Tennessee Redneck Backyard Plinking).