RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Powder coat opinion (unvalidated) Questions.

Powder coat opinion (unvalidated) Questions.

I've been watching these threads and looking at YouTube videos. Here's the opinion I formed.

The airsoft BB's in a tub work sufficiently not to need an ES gun.

Dumping them on the bake tray leads to uneven thickness on the base, that leads to inaccuracy. Standing them up would leave an even coating on the base. The weight of the bullet evenly placed and the consistent viscosity of the plasticized paint would do that.

You can size them to some extent after coating.

So here's the question, I have a Lee 405 HB mold I ground the stem off. It casts right at 423 grains with range scrap. I also have a Lee 340 mold coming.

How fast can I push them without leading in a Marlin 1895 and a Rossi Rio Grande? What are your experiences? Could I do 17-1800 fps without leading if I allow the coated bullets to air cool?

Vendor Sponsor

yes you can .. Fit is first Slug barrel and go .002-.003 oversize.. Alloy will be the next issue
    I have 223 75 grns going 2700 FPS accurately with zero leading . A 358 win going 2369 FPS accurately with zero leading
    so yes it can be done

Attachment 206660
    Attachment 206661
    Attachment 206662

last pic is the 358 at 200 yds . 4 shots in left side then I corrected the scope for a center shot

now you will probably have to mix range scrap with some COWW to get accuracy at 1700-1800 FPS
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 10-26-2017 at 01:21 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I get excellent PC bullets with shake and bake and have never used bb's. When I shake the excess powder off properly before baking my prone ones are as even as my standing up ones, the tray I use has a lot to do with this. Mine size and GC fine. Now I cannot answer you question because I haven't loaded either of those rounds, but I did want to share my experience. YMMV!

Reddirt

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

BBs seem to work a bit better for me

pour coated bullets, powder and BBs in colander with hole on bottom opened to allow BBs to fall through (powder goes as well)

dump bullets on wire tray which is over a catch tray cause some powder always gets carried over to tray

push bullets with wooden stick to get a single layer

into oven

when done dump on wooden tray and roll bullets back and forth to break up any that are stuck together.

Very good covering without gaps which is still magic to me but it works
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I have run the higher pressure 6.8 to 2000fps w/ plain based coated & get no leading. In 45-70, should be easy. I have some coated but just not tested.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Once that bullet gets smashed through the barrel you won't see a difference in accuracy.
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

So if I do the shake and bake with the black air soft BB's how soon could I do the second coat? When they get cool enough to hold in my hand? Does the first coat re-liquefy when you bake it the second time?

Then would I shoot them in the marlin like that or run them through a sizer? I'd have to polish out a Lee to .459, not a big deal. What I want to know is if I load it and it chambers as is would that be OK?

Right now I cast the Lee 405 HB but I cut the stem off. It comes in a little big with my lead. The mold I'm going to get is the 340 grain, which is a .457 mold.

Yes recoat as soon as they are cool.

No the coating does not reliquify after first cure.

Usually undersize is not an issue when coating because the coating ads .002-.004”. So size issues might be oversized areas but not under.

Usually you powder coat bare fresh bullets, then size them to your application afterwards, load and shoot. No lube unless you want for sizing. Enjoy.

Ps: I could not get shake and bake methods to work for me so I tried hitek and I will be using it exclusively. It has similar properties but in my opinion thit application is much easier, for me.

My static gun applied powder coatings looked and worked well, but the fussiness and mess of the process was not fun for me, so I gave that up also. YMMV

I'm too OCD to do the shake and bake, I far prefer the superior finish from the spray gun. Plus I can do other things like motorcycle and Jeep parts. I also use an old electric range, not a toaster oven. Just my way of doing it is all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by armednfree View Post
    So if I do the shake and bake with the black air soft BB's how soon could I do the second coat? When they get cool enough to hold in my hand? Does the first coat re-liquefy when you bake it the second time?
    Generally, with PC you only need 1 coat unless you really want to enlarge the bullet