MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mobile reloading kit - What do people use for a scale?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Lee hand press at this point but I'll look at that press; It'd be nice to have just one set of dies set to one length etc. so I don't have to duplicate / fiddle with setting 2 sets of dies, oh wait there's the 550B too Life is too complex some days LOL

One reason I was reticent on a beam scale was that the previous old scale was oil damped; Try packing that up & moving it to the range, ugh. Messy!

Boolit Grand Master

Mobile reloading kit - What do people use for a scale?

***I apologize in advance. I'm able to see the units when looking at the pics on my phone. They're hard to see on a computer w/out really zooming in***

The scale arrived today. I'd start another thread but the discussion about it was here. And there is no need for a separate thread because it's that bad of a scale. A $9 scale on Amazon was specifically mentioned which is what I bought. This one was the first one at that price to come up so I bought it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't read the description completely and even if I did it never mentions the resolution. A quick glance at the cheap scales shows their resolution is .01 gram. That's .15 grain resolution. Not quite enough. I have no clue about the resolution of this scale because the short test session showed it wasn't consistent.

Started w/ a check weight on both a RCBS Chargemaster and the cheap scale

Apparently I forgot to take a pic of the check weight on the cheap scale. I let it warm up and automatically shut off, then turned it back on. It read 50 grams like it should. And it read the correct weight no matter where I placed it on the pan. Passed the first test.

Next up was the pan from the Chargemaster for trickling powder into.

And the testing stops because it's resolution isn't high enough. It only read in whole grains.

The scale cannot be used to reloading purposes. But I'm not one to stop there. I wanted to see how it would do w/ trickling powder.

It read zero and then all of a sudden it hit four grains. I was trickling at the pace you would be when trying to weigh a charge.

That certainly doesn't look like four grains so I weighed it on the Chargemaster.

And the answer is that it's not even close to weighing four grains. Not one to stop I decided to trickle on ounces since it has the highest resolution, at least display wise.

Trickled like you normally would. Stopped when it changed for the first time.

And checked w/ the Chargemaster.

This was at least close. .005 ounces is equal to 2.1875 grains. Round it up and you have 2.2 grains. But the scale isn't repeatable. The first time it read 4 grains when it was 1.2. Second time around it read correctly. It needs to read correctly every single time. This scale isn't marketed towards reloaders. Those scales have a resolution of .1 grains. This one obviously won't work for reloading purposes. But for $9 I certainly didn't expect it to. It already resides in a trash can.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 10-29-2017 at 04:32 PM.

too bad it hit the trash. Pocket battery powered scale can be nice for discreet weight check of a pewter item.

From what I understand a SHTF kit is not what is being sought. A range/hunting trip kit is the desired goal. One that allows for reloading with slightly different charge to work up the best overall load, or to load a few more rounds if one runs low on a varmint hunting trip. Scoops yield the latter compactly and with least amount of fuss but come up a little short when your trying to test for where exactly is the "sweet" spot load around test loads already tried. That use requires an accuracy of .10 of a grain so you can "tweak" your load.

I don't do a range kit but I make two trips for a ladder of loads trying to find a good load. One might be 100 laddered up by .5 grains every 20 rounds, with a second trip with rounds that might be only .2 grain increments around the best load from the first batch at .5 grain increments. 22.5, 23, 23.5, 24,24.5 on the first trip might leave me wanting to try 25 grains or wanting to zero in on a load around 23.5 and 24 grains. Either one requires a scale with that level of accuracy but does not need to be SHTF ready. Just accurate enough to let me try some small incremental changes. Don't think how it runs matters, just as long as you can set it up and it works.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Bub
    Good test Dragon, I did the same test when I started reloading ( background in Chemistry) and found just the same. A set of RCBS 505 scales were ordered that night...

Electronic means a EMF restoration balance for measuring milligram quantities in my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    too bad it hit the trash. Pocket battery powered scale can be nice for discreet weight check of a pewter item.
    Already have one. I don't need another one.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    RogerDat has my intended use pegged exactly. More load workup than hunting, but that's a thought hmmm

Boolit Grand Master

The problem with trickling into a digital scales is its sensitivity and pick up speed. They Have to " think" first. I have found with a lot if you get started trickling before they tare out they do better. One reason why the Charge master styles do so well is they start from zero trickling and it doesn't tare out in the process to have to start reading again. If they Tare out then it takes a little to get the scales to recognize the change and start reading again. The electronics and load cells are accurate but they have a lag time once a weight is decided on. A lot of these portable scales are ment for the jewelry trade more so than reloading. The mechanical ( beam type) scales don't "think" they just do what they do thru use and sensitivity.

Read the reviews for this one. I have one, and it's great. Would be perfect for a portable reloading setup. Just understand the limitations of trickling from zero.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Watch the whole video if you have time.

My Franklin Scale works just fine and is totally repeatable. Maybe it is a better version of he one Dragon used. If it didn't repeat it would be in the same place Dragons ended up. I check it against an RCBS 1010 once in a while.

The whole idea of the Portable Reloading Kit is to be able to do it anywhere with the same accuracy as you would get at home. If it was a SHTF situation I would definitely include my Redding #1 as a back up.

For basic reloading Powder Dippers will work just fine. Lee Loaders have been around for a really long time, and before them they all used dippers anyway as nobody had a decent scale. If you are seeking a high level of accuracy then you must weigh your charges.

I have a friend who is pretty far up the Bench Rest Competition Scale. He weighs every single charge to .01 grains. That is 1/100th of a grain. His standard deviations run 2-3 FPS! He tells me that the powder charge consistency is the most important part of BR Loading. He will pick out individual grains of powder to get what he wants in Charge Weights.

As FPS varies so does the trajectory, and if the trajectory is not the same or nearly so from shot to shot, Group sizes will increase. Simple fact.

If you are working up loads at the range and can't find a decent digital scale then you should look at mechanical scales. I can see any movement on my 1010 and those small movements are well under .1 gr. when you can see movement from individual grains of ball powders being dropped you know exactly what is going on.

One last point of Digital Scales or anything digital. The resolution of .1 gr is actually about a window of about .08 gr. or +/-.04. The reason why is that the rounding function is looking at the next unit of measurement up or down from what is being displayed. In other words, the display won't read to the next tenth until it hits .15gr. Then it rounds up to .2gr. Same thing on the other side going down.

This is true for digital readouts or calipers or scales. There is no unit between the resolution of the readout. On a Mechanical Micrometer you can see if the lines are lined up and Extrapolate (or use the verniers) to get a more precise reading.

Tis isn't true with Digital readouts of any kind. There is nothing between the individual increments of measure so once it gets to half way between it shifts to the next highest increment on the scale.

You should be aware of this because the coarser the resolution of the tool the larger the window is.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Mobile reloading kit - What do people use for a scale?

Allow me to insert my 2 cents worth to the conversation..
    Mobile reloading kit can mean several things
    A) An apartment dweller looking to conserve space
    B) The SHTF situation
    C) Reloading at the range
    1) Multiple rounds utilizing the same load & same brass cases over & over
    2) Working up different loads
    D) The chuck or prairie dog hunt where you have expended all loaded ammo & desire to load additional rounds so you don’t have to cut the trip short (ugh )

A) In this case we would be talking about moving the Mobile kit from a closet or other storage space to a location within the apartment to a location such as a kitchen table. This Mobile kit would also be used, as needed, to relocate to another dwelling at some time in the future.
    I would suggest a good quality beam scale & if also desired a good quality digital scale. I would never recommend a digital scale (with multiple additional check weights) as the ONLY scale available.

B) In the SHTF situation electricity & replacement battery’s may or may not be available. Again I would want a good quality beam scale or properly sized & marked powder dippers for each cartridge being carried.

C) At the range:
    1) Multiple rounds utilizing the same load & same brass cases over & over – A powder dipper seams very appropriate in this situation.
    2) Working up different loads – The beam scale suffers in this situation due to four things (a) A good level spot to set up the beam scale. I use a pair of small bubble levels ( $1.00 ea.) (b) An “Eye Level” location to place the scale. This can be over come in many ways and should not be used to eliminate the use of the beam sale. (c) Wind – The beam scale must be placed where the wind will not affect the scale beam or the powder pan. Not hard to do with a corrugated box.
    An electronic scale could also be used if it has been proven to be reliable and check weights are use to verify.

D) The chuck or prairie dog hunt.. The beam scale or the electronic scale could be utilized in a motel room very easily – you preference in this situation. Powder dippers are also a good choice particularly if reloading in the field (wind ). I would not recommend a beam scale unless you can get out of the wind. Electronic scales – MAY – work ( I have never tried one in the wind.)

In the prairie dog hunt or in the situation at the range where the same brass & same load are to be used I utilize small plastic medical vials. Prior to the hunt or trip to the range I pre-measure the powder load & place each individual charge in small medical vials I have obtained specifically for this purpose. Multiple small vials ( with the premeasured powder ) are then placed in an empty cigarette box ( or multiple boxes ),with a rubber band securing the top of the box. These transport very well. And don’t require a scale of any sort and are not subject to wind conditions.

For several months I have been putting together a Mobile Kit for my son. He is not very interested in all the different aspects of reloading to a large degree but he owns a 218 BEE and a 6 mm Remington. Both nice cartridges in their own right but commercial ammo and brass have been somewhat expensive or not available at all. The 218 BEE is on a Contender frame and the 6 mm is a bolt action so both are easy to load for with Lyman 310 dies. I will supply him with a good quality beam scale (properly packaged) as all of his reloading will be at the kitchen table.

I have also built a small platform for the scale that includes bubble levels and adjustable feet. He will simply have to place the platform on a box or large stack of books and adjust the feet until level.

All of this (and much more ) will make up his Mobile reloading kit.

Boolit Grand Master
    In my portable kit, I would have and RCBS Lil Dandy measure and rotors modified to throw the charge weight I wanted (or half of it and throw powder twice) along with a Lee hand press, primer tool, dies, bullets, extra brass, primers and powder. All packed in a 50 cal. can. I could carry a bunch of stuff in one.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    My Franklin Scale works just fine and is totally repeatable. Maybe it is a better version of he one Dragon used. If it didn't repeat it would be in the same place Dragons ended up. I check it against an RCBS 1010 once in a while.

The whole idea of the Portable Reloading Kit is to be able to do it anywhere with the same accuracy as you would get at home. If it was a SHTF situation I would definitely include my Redding #1 as a back up.

For basic reloading Powder Dippers will work just fine. Lee Loaders have been around for a really long time, and before them they all used dippers anyway as nobody had a decent scale. If you are seeking a high level of accuracy then you must weigh your charges.

I have a friend who is pretty far up the Bench Rest Competition Scale. He weighs every single charge to .01 grains. That is 1/100th of a grain. His standard deviations run 2-3 FPS! He tells me that the powder charge consistency is the most important part of BR Loading. He will pick out individual grains of powder to get what he wants in Charge Weights.

As FPS varies so does the trajectory, and if the trajectory is not the same or nearly so from shot to shot, Group sizes will increase. Simple fact.

If you are working up loads at the range and can't find a decent digital scale then you should look at mechanical scales. I can see any movement on my 1010 and those small movements are well under .1 gr. when you can see movement from individual grains of ball powders being dropped you know exactly what is going on.

One last point of Digital Scales or anything digital. The resolution of .1 gr is actually about a window of about .08 gr. or +/-.04. The reason why is that the rounding function is looking at the next unit of measurement up or down from what is being displayed. In other words, the display won't read to the next tenth until it hits .15gr. Then it rounds up to .2gr. Same thing on the other side going down.

This is true for digital readouts or calipers or scales. There is no unit between the resolution of the readout. On a Mechanical Micrometer you can see if the lines are lined up and Extrapolate (or use the verniers) to get a more precise reading.

Tis isn't true with Digital readouts of any kind. There is nothing between the individual increments of measure so once it gets to half way between it shifts to the next highest increment on the scale.

You should be aware of this because the coarser the resolution of the tool the larger the window is.

Randy

Have you tried the tricking experiment I described above Randy?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I always contemplated a portable kit for myself but instead I always take WAAAY more loaded ammo with than I need. Saves more time to hunt or shoot. I'd rather do it at home so I can clean and trim my brass after each firing. If I was a cowboy and lived out west in the open plains or in remote Alaska I would own a portable set up.

Boolit Master
    I want a small balance beam to weigh to 50 gnrs max.
    Some thing to pack away in a neat little box.

I trust my 35 yr old D5 scale.

I trust my dippers and powder thrower to limits.

If I'm going to play with top end loads...especially with the big log type powders I always trickle up.

I'm a balance beam man and I can see if some draft or static charged styrene case or something is playing with my scales.

I like the look of those auto trickle up attachments for a balance beam scale.

A top end powder thrower with repeatable setting would be the dog bullocks with suitable cheat cheats for the powder in use.

I'm tending to enjoy shooting one case and loading at the bench some days shutzen style reloading.
    There I use dippers
    Tends to settle me down the slower pace.
    I don't seem to be suffering from lack of any uniformity from loaded cases from home anyway.

How far do you wanna go?
    The top bench rest shooters I see use matched manicured cases and a case full of small grained powder. Thrown from a tricked out powder thrower.
    They may adjust it a few clicks here or there to suit the conditions on the day.
    I doubt if they even worry about how much it weighs or how fast its going after they have worked out what the rifle likes.

Just an observation

A few years ago I had built up a small reloading kit for range and apartment reloading.

For initial load development I used a older non dampened Redding scale I got for next to nothing, hardly took up any room, kept a "check weight" match bullet with it to re-zero when needed. yeah it wasn't dampened and really can only be used in a windless situation but for making loads up in a small room where my entire kit fit in something the size of a tissue box it worked out pretty well.

After I settled on loads like many in the previous pages I made dippers for specific charges of specific powders. If one has a pet powder one could make up a set of dippers in increments that would work for them.
    My firearms project blog

I do have a small, older C press mounted to a piece of thick plywood. Can clamp to a picnic table, a stool I use as a portable bench, or a kitchen table if the C clamps holding it are padded. Powder I would want a balance beam scale because I'm familiar with it. Taken apart and packed in foam inside a plastic storage container.

Given SHTF I figure on taking a whole lot of already assembled components. Don't see the point to hauling a bunch of dies, brass, powder and cast bullets loose when they are so much more useful already assembled. Exception might be if I had a couple of jugs of powder that would load a lot of calibers. Then it might make sense to have some flexibility.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    With my portable loading kits , I use dippers . Some are Lee dipper and some I make myself to throw (dip) the exact charges I want...the batteries NEVER run out !
    Coffee cup holds the powder when dipping.
    Gary
    Same for me, sans coffee cup.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123