Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: 209 Primer Help

209 Primer Help

Having problems with Federal shotgun primers. They don't fit my 209 conversion nipple. I used Winchester 209 primers for a long time but, had to buy some quick and they were out and only had Federals. The Federals stick out of the nipple 1/16" further than Winchesters and fit loosely. Winchester 209s fit flush and tight. They (Federals) look like they'll fall out when carrying during hunting. Is there a difference in 209 primers?

The muzzle loader is a Thompson Center Arms Firehawk Deluxe with a TCA 209 primer conversion kit installed.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Having problems with Federal shotgun primers. They don't fit my 209 conversion nipple. I used Winchester 209 primers for a long time but, had to buy some quick and they were out and only had Federals. The Federals stick out of the nipple 1/16" further than Winchesters and fit loosely. Winchester 209s fit flush and tight. They (Federals) look like they'll fall out when carrying during hunting. Is there a difference in 209 primers?

The muzzle loader is a Thompson Center Arms Firehawk Deluxe with a TCA 209 primer conversion kit installed.
    If there is, it's very minute. They all fit in shotgun hulls when reloading. Some are a bit "tighter" than others, but they are supposed to be dimensionaly the same.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	142rfkj.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	206667

Name:	209PrimerData.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	206668

I drove 25 miles to a store that had Winchester 209 primers today. They also slip out. Must be a problem with the nipple.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    I think you just figured it out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post

Name:	142rfkj.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	206667

Name:	209PrimerData.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	206668
    All good to know, but unless you know the size of the hole they're going in it doesn't mean much. They are a "crush" fit, and as long as the hole they're going in is smaller than the primer they won't fall out. That's why we can use any brand primer in a shotgun hull. Granted, some are tighter than others but after loading and shooting several hundred thousand I never found any that just were too small to work.

Boolit Master

Worked on a muzzle loader today that is set up for 209 primers. Looked all over the shop and did not have that # but did find 109s and 157s.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    the "crush fit" is in the length, not the width. most breech plug 209 primer pockets are loose in the width. This is why some guns can use a shim (screw shank lengthening washer) or a 4.5mm rubber O ring and eliminate blowback. (rubber O ring only works in break actions, as the camming of a bolt will wear them in a shot or 3. the rubber rings typically last about 20 shots. I have had the washers in breech plugs through several vent liner replacements with no failure

Truthfully, with that gun there is no advantage to the aftermarket 209 switch. A slam fire action will not reliably, and/or safely fire Blackhorn powder. (the main reason given for the switch) and a regular 11 cap will reliably ignite any other powder for use in that gun. If you were having ignition issues, it was much more likely a cleaning or maintainance issue over a system design failure.
    Last edited by Squeeze; 11-05-2017 at 07:25 AM.

I knew certain brands of primers varied when made in USA comparied to Overseas, but I never herd about your problem.
    Last edited by Randy C; 11-05-2017 at 04:30 PM.