Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The plinker went to war: The IDF's Ruger 10/22

The plinker went to war: The IDF's Ruger 10/22

http://www.rugertalk.com/The-plinker...uger-Talk.html

Posted Sep 27th 2015 | By:
    Christopher Eger

5 Comments

Email Print

Ever since their beginnings in 1948, the Israeli Defense Force has had to think outside the box to come up with weapon's systems, therefore it shouldn't surprise you that for the past 20 years the Israelis have used a (much-modified) 10/22 for use in both special operations and in security operations.

The plinker went to war: The IDF
    (A gently modded 10/22 with IDF forces in 2000)

The background

Going back to 1987, the IDF purchased a quantity of Ruger 10/22s for use by security forces in the Palestinian Intifada, a violent uprising in the West Bank and Gaza Strip that led to a number of deaths on both sides. Hallmarked by rock throwing, molotov cocktails, and slingshots by the Palestinians (backed by the PLO, Fatah, the Popular Front, the Democratic Front and the Palestine Communist Party), no less than 60 Israeli military and police were killed by 1993.

This led the Israelis to go a bit harder from rubber bullets and tear gas-- the traditional less-lethal tools of the age, and use .22LR rifle fire aimed at the legs of armed intifada participants, as a next step. It seems it's hard to keep your motivation to throw rocks with a 40-grain round in your shin.

The guns used by the IDF at the time were standard wooden-stocked 10/22s modified by the Italian firm of Sabatti with a heavy bull barrel encased by an integral suppressor that looks all the world like a 6 D-Cell Maglite. Drilled and tapped for a full-sized Weaver base, the gun was given a 4x optic of various manufacture and a Harris-style adjustable bipod forward.

(Use of the 10/22 always seems to be in conjunction with other soldiers armed with M16, Tavor or Galil rifles)

It's not known just how many of these guns the Israelis picked up, but they have been widely seen in the West Bank and Gaza for the past two decades.

Their use, however, was controversial an in 2001 they were ordered restricted from use as a "less lethal" weapon.

(AP Photo)

"The mistake was that the Ruger came to be seen as a means of dispersing demonstrations, in contrast to its original purpose as a weapon in every respect," said a senior IDF officer at the time. "The ballistics of the bullet are different from those of regular bullets, and as a result, it is liable to cause excessive damage when used indiscriminately."

Then in 2008, the guns were brought back online and have been used extensively since then with a different set of rules of engagement that restrict the use of them in circumstances where lethal force is authorized.

An Israeli border guard aims his 10/22 during clashes with Palestinian protesters following an anti-Israeli protest after the weekly Friday prayers on September 18, 2015 in the Israeli-controlled area called H2, in the West Bank town of Hebron. Note the BX-25, well-worn stock and receiver, and improvised cheek pad. Image by Hazem Bader/AFP

An Israeli army sniper, Nabi Saleh, West Bank, 5 December 2014. Photo by Haim Schwarczenberg. Note the more advanced optic over the original 4x scope used at first.

Israeli soldier with a Ruger 10/22 sniper rifle in Hebron during the "open Shuhada street" protest, February 22, 2013. Photo by Lazar Simeonov. Note the ACOG optic.

Further, last week the Israeli Attorney General authorized the use of the 10/22s against rock-throwers in East Jerusalem for the first time.

Other use

It wasn't just in the Palestinian areas that the Israelis used the .22 rifles. In the ongoing asymmetric war with Hezbollah along the Lebanon border, it is believed that commando units used them to take out sentries and dogs before entering an area to maintain the element of surprise. This actually fits into long-standing doctrine. The Israeli air marshals, Mossad, and Sayeret Matkal had long issued the .22LR Beretta 71 (usually suppressed) for covert operations including the counter-terror operations authorized after the 1972 Munich Olympics attack.

In recent years, the IDF 10/22 cache has seen a number of upgrades to include BX-25 mags, FAB Defense modular composite stock systems with aluminum bedding blocks, and more modern optics.

Posted in Technical Article and Tagged with 10/22 israel, 10/22 idf, ruger israel, israeli 10-22, israeli 22 rifle, suppressed 10/22, military 10/22
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Saw a video on this over a year ago on youtube.

Good little tool.

Last edited by GhostHawk; 10-26-2017 at 08:16 AM. Reason: add pictures

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    IDF and Mossad use of suppressed Ruger 10/.22s may predate the 1980s as US Spec. Ops experimented with them late during the Vietnam conflict and the 10/.22 has seen use as a "less lethal" tower gun in US corrections facilities since the 1970s. The corrections use in particular was "open source" and the effectiveness of the .22 in neutralizing "troublemakers" in prison yard mob scenarios, with reduced risk of collateral damage, compared to higher powered rifles, was covered extensively in magazine and newspaper articles at the time. The IDF would have surely picked up the info through its normal review of open source news and intel.

I was once told that the CCI Stinger round was developed as a low ricochet danger round for such scenarios, but have never been able to authenticate the source, but I do know from skip-shooting tests conducted on asphalt and concrete floors that ordinary .22 LR solids and LRHPs do not break up completely, and from gelatin block testing of sintered gallery loads, those do not have adequate lethality in soft targets, so the Stinger would appear to be ideal in this specialized application.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Lack of education on the part of most of the world would lead many to criticize the use of a firearm in response to some "Youthful Rock Throwers". We see throughout the Old and new Testaments references to stoning, not to mention David killing Goliath with a stone. We can also see the Arabic Rajm, a term for stoning. In other words; peoples in the Middle East have been killing each other stones for Thousands of years.

Seems that a modified Ruger 10/22 is a pretty good tool to stop people from murdering others with stones (or more technically evolved means).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

I had read that during an out of control crowd event, the IDF shooter would observe the crowd and soon pick out the "leaders". A .22 bullet through the testicles area, and soon the "leaders" would be looking for medical help, instead of instigating trouble and rock throwing.

Can't throw rocks when you are doubled over with both hands in your crotch and staggering to leave the area!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    Although very interesting, I do not see it working for me. If I need to fire a gun, I am not interested in maiming or hurting someone. I am in fear of my life and I want them dead. Remember that we can be sued if the assailant lives to tell his side of the story. And he/she will lie. Putting a bullet into the groin made me smile. Damn that would hurt!!!

I have two Ruger 10/22's so I do like the gun.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I believe the IDF used this "method" to defuse civil unrest without causing or creating bad press and unwanted criticism from world opinion.

The unknowing press never could claim brutality or undue force, as they never knew what was even happening.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Hickock,

That is what I read too. Either way, its pretty cool to see in use!
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    IDF and Mossad use of suppressed Ruger 10/.22s may predate the 1980s as US Spec. Ops experimented with them late during the Vietnam conflict and the 10/.22 has seen use as a "less lethal" tower gun in US corrections facilities since the 1970s. The corrections use in particular was "open source" and the effectiveness of the .22 in neutralizing "troublemakers" in prison yard mob scenarios, with reduced risk of collateral damage, compared to higher powered rifles, was covered extensively in magazine and newspaper articles at the time. The IDF would have surely picked up the info through its normal review of open source news and intel.

I was once told that the CCI Stinger round was developed as a low ricochet danger round for such scenarios, but have never been able to authenticate the source, but I do know from skip-shooting tests conducted on asphalt and concrete floors that ordinary .22 LR solids and LRHPs do not break up completely, and from gelatin block testing of sintered gallery loads, those do not have adequate lethality in soft targets, so the Stinger would appear to be ideal in this specialized application.
    As Outpost75 stated, the underrated .22 was used in Vietnam dating from the mid 60’s. Many US Army Special Forces teams had suppressed .22 revolvers at their disposal. They were a stealthy method of eliminating a very close ranged target with extreme prejudice. I can’t recall any semi-auto, though they may have been available in the later years.

Quote Originally Posted by 18Bravo View Post
    As Outpost75 stated, the underrated .22 was used in Vietnam dating from the mid 60’s. Many US Army Special Forces teams had suppressed .22 revolvers at their disposal. They were a stealthy method of eliminating a very close ranged target with extreme prejudice. I can’t recall any semi-auto, though they may have been available in the later years.
    I can not confirm this but while VN was going on, there was persistent rumors that some SF forces and/or SOG teams had HiStandard autos assigned for prisoner snatch missions. Also there was some rumors that they were using some bow hunting equipment to take out some targets quietly. They were the rumors going around the unit.
    Rob

I believe I read where the tunnel rats used .22 caliber pistols because the 45 left you deaf and blind after firing in the dark confined space. As a method of crowd control it also makes sense, as said discourage people who are throwing rocks or Molotov's from continuing without having to engage at close range. No one wants to get shot, not even with the lowly .22 so crowd disperses since the shooter has more range and accuracy than the stone thrower.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by RGrosz View Post
    I can not confirm this but while VN was going on, there was persistent rumors that some SF forces and/or SOG teams had HiStandard autos assigned for prisoner snatch missions. Also there was some rumors that they were using some bow hunting equipment to take out some targets quietly. They were the rumors going around the unit.
    Rob
    Yes, many carried High Standards, but I only recall seeing them in 9mm. Other teams may have used them chambered in .22’s but I have no firsthand knowledge of them. Our team had a suppressed revolver loaded with 22 shorts. Very quiet. As far as bows, we left that in the hands of the very capable Montagnards. The Studies and Observation Groups carried whatever they felt like. Some of their weaponry is legendary amongst Special Forces.

Don't under estimate the .22 round.....it will pass into the human skull, then ricochet around causing massive amounts of injury or death......

When I farmed it was our choice for putting pigs down.....

Neat article......

Boolit Master
    The most common suppressed .22 pistol in VietNam was the High Standard HD Military built during WW2.They looked like a bull barrel target pistol.There is at least one somewhere in the US that came out of VietNam.It was sent back in a dead chopper pilots personal effects.I helped inventory and pack the pilots belongings.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Putting a bullet into the groin made me smile. Damn that would hurt!!!
    Even less than lethal rounds seem to have a "smile" factor
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    I read one of Col Cooper's essay collections and he had one essay which advocated the use of the .22 in mobs looking to start riots. If unleashing a mob is deadly force, then a ringleader directing that mob might need to be taken out with minimal risk to others. So a headshot from behind the lines would be ideal was Cooper's take.

Not saying most shooters are up to it, but if you can put a squirrel down at 75 - 100 yards, then it's not that much of a jump to take out a rabble rouser at the same range.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Stinger directed to the either the subclavian or femoral artery... easier to make than a head shot on a moving target.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    It is a very interesting topic.

There are a lot of "preppers" who stocked up on 22 rounds for more than just filling the stew pot, IMO. If not for its' lethality on small critters, but its' ability to injure or even kill larger targets if needed.

Part of the issue with 22 rounds being hard to find for a while now, I am thinking.

It is a useful round & many a lad/lassie grew up & learned to use one for many years. I know of more than one family, including my own Ma & Dad that, during the depression, it kept the families in meat. And even recently locally here, I came across the remains of a whitetail young doe that had been poached using one.

I find it no surprise that it is being used in so many ways. Lethal & non lethal.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 10-27-2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: topic sidetrack removed.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Stinger directed to the either the subclavian or femoral artery... easier to make than a head shot on a moving target.
    For dealing with rabble rouser, and you need an immediate put down, I can see a headshot being preferable.

That said the "femoral" as a target is a solid idea. Right next to the pelvic girdle and the femur, a hit on either of those bones could be effective at slowing targets.

Not sure about the subclavical as an aiming area. Doesn't seem to offer advantages over the heart.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast