Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMLE in .45-70

Banned

SMLE in .45-70

I've become pretty enamored with the .45-70 of late. I also have a badly bubba'd Lee Enfield that the action is sound on, but isn't good for much. Gibbs imported something similar to what I'd like, but they are hard to get ahold of.

More trouble than it's worth?

Banned

Oooops. Meant to post this in special projects, can someone please move it where it belongs?

Boolit Master
    If you're talking repeater the hard part will be the magazine. I believe Gibbs used a single stack one in order to get their rifle to feed.

If you're planning a single shot it shouldn't be a big problem to blank off the magazine well and single load.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

I have one of the Gibbs / navy arms 45-70 carbines on a number 4 action. It's a fun rifle. You have to open up the left side of the action and do some ramp work but they will feed. Thd 45-70 rim is just enough bigger to be a pain. You have to slightly under cut the extactor to get it to grip rims . The mag is just a single stack with two tabs that center the round being fed. I would think I guy could modify a pro mag and it would work. Mine is in pieces right now ready to go into the blueing tank. Navy arms built them on really rough actions and powder coated the actions to hide the pits. The more I shot it the more powdercoat flaked off. finally got sick of it and decided to fix it.

If your interested sarco has some actions already opened up for the 45-70 for less than it would cost to have them done.

Banned

I just spent some time looking around on Sarco's site and couldn't find ones that had been opened up. Could you post a link to where you saw them?

In Remembrance

Google Richard @ Special Interest Arms for Lee Enfield conversions. Or look for him on http://www.enfield-rifles.com in the "after market Enfield" section. His company does all kind of Enfield conversions

Kind of returning the Lee to its pre Enfield roots. I like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/barreled-r...nd-308-2a.aspx
    That's as close as I could get on the sight. They had them listed in there shotgun news ad last months as "a few left" let me see if they still have a them listed on paper. If they do I'll add the product number so you can call them about it. They kinda half *** there customer service just so you know.
    Last time I checked special interest arms was completely out of the enfeild building business, kits no longer made. Just not enough actions laying around anymore to make it pay.
    Last edited by firebyprolong; 10-26-2017 at 11:48 AM.

I have a gunsmith friend who built one using the .444 Marlin cartridge. So even the bolt face and extractor worked as is. That might be a better choice for a rework if you wanted to save some machine work. I believe his uses the box magazine to feed, but can't recall for sure?

I just looked and I can't find those actions in sarcos paper ad either. They must have sold out, I'd seen them listed for so long I just figured they would still have them. My apologies all around.

Banned

No problem. I might just restock it and figure out some decent sights and leave it a .303. I could probably find a Gibbs or one of the Siamese Mausers if I really wanted a bolt gun.

I have one built by a local gunsmith in BC, he has acquired magazines after not having them fOr a few years, next time I'm up his way I'll ask.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I have a gunsmith friend who built one using the .444 Marlin cartridge. So even the bolt face and extractor worked as is. That might be a better choice for a rework if you wanted to save some machine work. I believe his uses the box magazine to feed, but can't recall for sure?
    I don't want to change the subject too much here but the 444 Marlin option sounds like a winner to me. I have heard that the .444 Marlin is versatile reloading round if the twist rate is changed. Which would be logical to do if converting a Lee Enfield.

Banned

Would save a lot of gunsmithing work too. I'm sure JES could do the rebore.

Banned

I'm kind of liking the .444 idea now. I have a Lyman mold that casts good, 300 grain SWCs I use in my inline. Especially with Ballard rifling, that could be a winner in the .444.

I remember someone discussing a .375 .303 British at some point?

We were shooting my friend's in .444 at a 18" steel plate 250 yds. distance, and it was no problem hitting it every time. A fun gun to shoot with cast .44 mag bullets! His is equipped with a old Lyman receiver sight, and globe front sight.

Boolit Master
    Would it be easier to do it in .458x2" American??
    That way the rim should fit the boltface straightforward.

Is your rifle a #1 mk3 or a # 4. We are dealing with two different pressure limits here. The other thing to consider is that your still going to need to fit a new tube. There is just not enough meat in one for a rebore.
    I would consider a stub in a 45-70 but not a 444. I don't consider the 444 a low pressure round. I would be consider a 444 on a #4 but not on any of the # 1s. 444s are lower pressure than the 303 but not by much and there both a lot hotter than a 45-70. That is unless your trying to turn one into a 458 win mag.
    We are dealing with actions that could be up to a century old here. I do think a 444 sounds neat and would alleviate some of the machine work and probably feed better. I've got a couple of actions laying around too and I'm already feeding a marlin 444 anyway. I might have to play with this idea some. I'll see if they want to feed from a flat bar 45-70 mag this evening.
    Last edited by firebyprolong; 10-27-2017 at 02:08 PM.

What is the largest calber the .303 can be necked up to?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-375-303/page2
    Here's one of the 303-375 threads. I think the 375 is as far as you can go on the 303 case, but I'm getting to far into the tall grass here to be of much help. I thought I was walking on the wild side building one in 30-30 and reworking a 45-70. Man, did I underestimate the some of the real gun cranks here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast