Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: 327 mag powder

Boolit Mold

327 mag powder

I have a 327 never reloaded cast bullets before and I am looking for a powder that might be a little quieter. I use it for small game hunting and recently bought some hunters supply 76gr fp. my thought was lower pressure would equal less noise. On the hogdons site it shows autocomp as giving good fps with some of the lowest pressure. I would like to shoot arounder 1300 fps if possible. Lots of info on the Web for heavier bullets not a lot on light bullets. I don't want to buy five different powders to try was hoping someone else has done something similar

Boolit Master

2400, H110, AA9, Lil,gun, Blue Dot, unique, AA7.
    just to name a few.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want quiet you need to load to 32 S&W Long levels. Quiet is not what the 327 Federal is about. It's about maximum performance. And for that you need a powder like H110. At 1300 fps it's going to be loud no matter what powder you use.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you. I don't need super quiet just quieter than the 100gr federal I have. With no hearing protection when hunting it is not much fun.

Any thing you feed your revolver that gives 1300fps performance is going to ring your ears. How about some electronic ear muffs?
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

The round in general is ear splitting. If you're hunting w/ it wear ear protection. Otherwise load to lower levels.

Boolit Grand Master
    The answer to your question has been said a variety of ways... a high performance (hunting class) quiet round in 327 is an oxymoron. You can have high performance OR quiet, but not both.

Froggie ~ Builder of Project 616
    "It aint easy being green!"

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I shoot a lot of 327, but I have found that bullets lighter than 100 grains are a waste of time in a high performance cartridge such as it is. If you want that hunting load, back down to 32 H&R Magnum cases and load your small light bullet to 1000 fps using a middle range burning powder, I like HS-6 in 32 mag. I cast and shoot 311316 at 115 gr. GC at top pressures in 4 different 327 revolvers, it does what it was advertised, but it don't do it quietly and probably never will unless you load down to mouse fart pressures and they ain't no point in do'in thet!!

Boolit Mold
    Ok thanks can I use my cases and and 32hr load data or is that to much empty space in my cases.

Boolit Grand Master

You can use the cases but will have to adjust the charges. I do this all the time w/ 38 special level loads in 357 cases. I'd do t w/ 327 but I bought the guns to shoot full tilt loads.