Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Latest swaged and powder coated 22 Long Rifle Boolits

Banned

Latest swaged and powder coated 22 Long Rifle Boolits

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but here it is.
    As many know I have been trying to perfect the swaging and reloading/loading of 22 rim fire. My goal is to make match grade ammo. I have now gotten quite a bit of experience making dies. I have a process that does produce some acceptable results so far. My process is to mold cores at 40 grains, then swage them undersized to .2225"-.223" then powder coat them, then run them through another swaging die to the final exact dimensions. The diameter of the bearing surface to be .225". My latest pre-powder coat die got a little big from overpolishing. So the bullets came out at .2245"-.225" BEFORE the final swage. Which prevents reswaging them to the final size without scraping off some of the pc. However I used Smokes Clear for the first time and they came out well enough to use as-is. Not for match grade ammo but at least as good as common plinker rounds. I have included some pictures of the final results. (These have not been loaded or crimped, just stuck in the cases for show.) The round with the gold colored bullet is actually a CCI MiniMag that I used for comparison. I am also including a couple of videos of my technique of swaging and powdercoating. I swage a pin into the base of the boolits and place them in an aluminum block with pin holes to hold them in the vertical position. It affords me the best possible results for powder coating. I can attest that Smoke's powder coat is way way better than Harbor Freight.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5zcrssjex....MP4-.mp4?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2l74d7q6xg....MP4-.mp4?dl=0
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1691.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	206601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1692.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	206602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1698.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	206603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1700.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	206604Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1702.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	206605
    Last edited by Traffer; 10-25-2017 at 01:36 AM.

So help,me out here......what is the point of this? You want match grade ammo? Buy some Eley or SK ....... looks like a lot of work for not much (if any ) ROI.....

I get groups under dime sized at 50m out of a 64 action anschutz with $6 a box SK

Boolit Master
    Very, very nice. Do you pull the bullets and reload with your own or have you sourced primed, empty cases?
    Have you seen Paco Kelly's Accurizer tool? It swages factory ammo while loaded, it makes a consistent nose profile and driving band diameter.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 55fairlane View Post
    So help,me out here......what is the point of this? You want match grade ammo? Buy some Eley or SK ....... looks like a lot of work for not much (if any ) ROI.....

I get groups under dime sized at 50m out of a 64 action anschutz with $6 a box SK
    the point is the fun of knowing you can do it and perfecting the skill, someday he will still be shooting 22's and you will be like "wish I had tried that" when you can't get any more 22's. he's enjoying experimenting and I for one think its cool that he shares.

Rancher1913,

Ahhhh....now I get it........the fun of the challenge.......as a guy who has shot 3p small bore for like 15 years, I will just to chasing X's with factory ammo.....but I would like to see the how it's done......the tool & die maker in me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    the tricks to really get down to from what I have come across, is that

1. on some brands, the factory crimp never disappears from all fired cases.

2. getting the rim completely flat again like it was never fired.
    I am currently trying to figure out how to edit a video that I can post on the process of resizing that I use. It does not get the dent out but it opens it up enough for primer to get behind it so the round will fire even if hitting the same dent. I will let you know when the video is ready and I will post it here.

Banned
    I just thought I would post this for those of you who have questions about some of my processes. This post is over a year old and I have changed many of the techniques that I used there but all the basics are the same:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...w-to-Make-Them