RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use the old Lee Loader for shotgun shells?

Boolit Bub

Anyone use the old Lee Loader for shotgun shells?

I picked one up on a whim.

NOS. 50+ year old, NOS.

I have used the Lee Loaders for rifle, but never shotgun.

Tips?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leeloader12ga1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	206599

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by duckear View Post
    I picked one up on a whim.

NOS. 50+ year old, NOS.

I have used the Lee Loaders for rifle, but never shotgun.

Tips?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leeloader12ga1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	206599
    I wish Lee still made these...heck there are a lot of things I wish Lee still made.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not all that impressed with mine in 12 gauge. It works, but the crimp leaves a lot to be desired. You can't even resize cases. The Lee Load-All II is a big improvement. I screwed my Load-All II to a 2x4, and I can clamp it to any bench. This kit made by Lanes reloading looks to be well made. Plus it allows cases to be resized.I am considering getting one in 3" 20 gauge. They are cheaper than what classic Lee kits go for on ebay too.

http://www.lanesreloading.com/

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'm not all that impressed with mine in 12 gauge. It works, but the crimp leaves a lot to be desired. You can't even resize cases. The Lee Load-All II is a big improvement. I screwed my Load-All II to a 2x4, and I can clamp it to any bench. This kit made by Lanes reloading looks to be well made. Plus it allows cases to be resized.I am considering getting one in 3" 20 gauge. They are cheaper than what classic Lee kits go for on ebay too.

http://www.lanesreloading.com/
    Their site is 'interesting'.
    Curious what the quality of their stuff is.
    I don't see where their stuff resizes the base. It looks like a remake of the Lee kit.
    Funny, when you click on the instructions tab, a Lee instruction sheep pops up.

Boolit Master

I have one in 12 and 20. They work ok. They don't resize the base or provide a really good crimp/fold, but will load some shells.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

I started handloading with one of these in 12 ga. when I was 12 yrs. old. Still have it. Have not used it for 60 yrs.

I have the one for 12 and 410 ,That is how my dad and my brother started to reload with and then went to a Lee Load all and then I went with the Mec. I still have all the others .I gfound after I run them in the Mec to re size and de prime that use the both other reloaders work out ok. I use the 410 on e for 3 " because I am able to load it easyer then use it on the mec.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, I've got one too. Used to use it a lot. My gunsmith friend bored it a bit deeper so I could load 3" 12 ga. hulls. Works fine. I started my slug loading career with it about 45 years ago... maybe 50 years ago. Getting old fast it seems.

I followed the same route as trapper9260... Lee Loader, Lee Loadall then Mec Sizemaster.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Like most my age a Lee 12 ga loader launched me into my reloading venture. I have a 12 & 2 410's, they actually worked pretty good in the old paper hull days. When plastic came along my crimps were horrible. That sent me to the MEC folks. I've spent a ton on reloading & casting.

Boolit Master
    Yes, the Classic Lee Shotshell Loader is still a valued adjunct to my shotshell handloading bench.

- The shot dippers are the perfect size for dipping proper Black Powder charges for cartridges otherwise assembled on a shotshell loading press.

- The sizer/crimp die does a beautiful job of increasing the crimp radius after separate roll crimping is completed. Using a Rockchucker press with an old loading die inserted as a stop, insert the finished roll crimp shotshell into the lee die and use the press ram (w/o shell holder) to press the shotshell into the Lee die. Lower the ram and remove the Lee die and eject the roll crimped shell - now sporting a well beveled radius. Talk about smooth feeding shotshells!
    Last edited by RMc; 11-09-2017 at 04:01 AM.

Banned

I have a couple of these and have used them, but for about the same as you have to pay for one now, you can find a used Load All which works a lot better. I have a Load All in 12 and one in 20 and have both bolted to a short piece of 2x6 I can clamp to my bench.

I use them for 10 gauge as I only shoot about 2 boxes a year. They are useful to show a new shooter that you can reload, then buy a mec junior, sell the lee loader and don't look back.

Boolit Buddy
    I used the resizing ring from the LEE Load-All to size the bases. LEE sells these, are parts.

I've made up bunkhouse kits to streamline the operations. Handy tool, great for those specialty shells. Just bout 3 sets today, 20 ga 2 3/4", 16 ga 2 3/4", and 10 gauge 2 7/8". I already had one in 12 ga 2 3/4". I've bought a few over the years, sold them all when the price went to high to not capitalize on the market.

I've paid as little as $10 for a set, and as much as silly lots for others when I needed it. 410 sets are a hard find, but an easy sell.

Nitro

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmmm... I have a resizing ring too but was thinking it came with the Lee Loader. Maybe it came with my Lee Loadall II... that's one Lee product I wouldn't buy again! The Lee Loadall is pretty good but the Lee Loadall II is pretty flimsy. It works and may be a bit faster than the Lee Loader but I'd just use the Lee Loader if I had to choose.

The crimping with the Lee Loader is a bit iffy in my experience but if (there's one) everything is right it works okay. Something else I bought were Lee star crimp starters in both 6 and 8 fold so using those before trying to crimp also helps. Not sure if those are still available or not.

I used to take my Lee Loaders for rifle to the range and work up loads there. Didn't do that with the shotgun loader but it did used to go with me to our summer property up the coast from Vancouver.

Handy tools when you don't have a lot of money or you want something very portable.

Longbow

My Lee Loader is an older one made by Mecham and was the predecessor of the Lee Tool, I mean the exact predecessor. I think Lee originally worked for them and then bought them out.

I have supplemented it with various accessories over the years like the crimp starters and wad guides and most importantly a little Sinclair Arbor Press. I use mine mostly for depriming hulls that I screwed up. I can easily push a live primer out without it blowing up in my face.

As far as the Crimp goes it is hit and miss, mostly miss. However you can load all the way to the last step and then Roll Crimp Closed which makes shells as good as anything else.

I use it enough that it has a permanent place on my loading bench.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have on hand my first reloading “kit” that is a 16ga Lee Loader. Before the “Load all II”, it provided shells inexpensive enough for those of us just starting out in life with limited funds! I found out quickly that anything I loaded was going to have to be used within a few weeks because the crimp would likely come unfolded. Using candle wax to seal the crimp did help, but alas it would eventually unfold. I also found that the hulls I acquired could not be used an infinite amount of time. The data that came in the box provided effective loads and the whole kit with all the components to reload would fit in a shoebox for travel to new hunting grounds. I now have many kits in various gauges and calibers for those occasions I may want to load a few “specialty” loads at a destination that offers a variety of game “critters” not listed on the initial menu. Lee provided the means to get started in the reloading hobby “ back in the day” as it currently does in the 21st century.

Boolit Mold
    My son was given several boxes of reloading materials recently and one of the items is a rotary turret press for shotgun. We can’t find any pictures or data on it but it seems to have a lot of parts - red plastic inserts, powder holder/shot holder, autoprimer and base. Any clue what we have or where to find info?

Boolit Master
    robbin, post picture. rotary turret press for shotgun, there are several brands, mec, pacific/hornady, RCBS, ponsness warren, Dillon and probably more I'm not thinking of.
    what color is it?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbin2bears View Post
    My son was given several boxes of reloading materials recently and one of the items is a rotary turret press for shotgun. We can’t find any pictures or data on it but it seems to have a lot of parts - red plastic inserts, powder holder/shot holder, autoprimer and base. Any clue what we have or where to find info?
    I had a ' lee load fast ' at one time that sounds very similar .

Boolit Master
    At 14 yrs old, I started loading with the lee loader in 12 ga which worked ok. I bought the lee 6 point crimp and a wad guide from some other brand. This plus using the proper wad column and paper hulls worked quite well. I still have it as well as a 410 and a few rifle calibers but haven't used any of them in many years. I moved up to a Texan press which I still have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast