Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: 6.5 Sil RCBS 140 grain in Swede

Boolit Bub

6.5 Sil RCBS 140 grain in Swede

I got impatient trying to get a Lee mold for my two Swedes so I bought the RCBS mold hoping the diameter would be large enough. Most of my casting experience has been with 30 caliber and smokeless and 40-45 caliber and BPCR. One Swede with a #1 bore (used but good) has an Elite sight. The other has a #0 bore (as new) and scout scope. Casting with two alloys, lino and ww+tin I got some bullets that fit okay. The lino bullets cast with a 0.258 nose and 0.2665 bands. This alloy has worked great in the rifle with the #1 bore. I’m using 14.5 grains 5744 and getting five shot 1 ½-2” groups at 100 yds with a couple going less than 1”. I am seating gas checks with a 0.2685 diameter die. Bullets cast of ww+tin go about 0.001” less diameter. The rifle with nearly a new bore is 0.2565 so I can’t chamber the lino bullet in it. I haven’t been as successful in getting ww+tin bullet to work in rifle with the new bore. With bands at 0.265 they are probably too undersize. Groups are running 2-3”. The lino bullet weighs 235 grains and the ww+tin runs 242. One cavity throws a bullet one grain heavier than the other. My plan is to hone the bands on one of the cavities using the lino bullets and valve polishing compound to 0.268. I have to be careful not to increase the bore riding area or the GC shank as these are already a tight fit. Anyone have any suggestions on how to enlarge the bands and not any other area?

Thanks
    Labop

Boolit Master
    Before you hone the mould, changing it permanently, have you considered Beagling your mould to gain a slight diameter increase.

http://ktsammo.250x.com/castboolits/cst3.html

Just a thought. I would probably try that first. You can always hone the mould if that doesn't provide satisfactory results.

Good luck,

Keith

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Keith I will try the shim.